collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Fasth56
[Today at 11:02:53 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:02:43 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:59:42 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Man City Losses  (Read 8048 times)

Offline KRS

0% Villa - Man City Losses
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
Just announced on SSN with no in depth figures or time scale...

Turnover: £125m
Wages: £130m+
Losses: £121.3m

As we all know, this is a completely unsustainable football club but will he keep throwing money at it until they are contesting or winning the Champions League every season?

How can the FA or FIFA allow a club to be operating in such a way? Will the new rules really change anything?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: 0% Villa - Man City Losses
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
Gianni Infantino: "clubs in breach of the rules will be barred from the Champions' League and the Europa League. Otherwise we lose all credibility".

This isn't just some typical UEFA messing around at the tip of the iceberg, this is Platini's lovechild in legal form. He and the whole of UEFA really are staking everything on this. Garry Cook (Cock) knows this, and has described meeting the new rules as a "major challenge". Make no mistake, this summer was the last time City were able to spend like this beyond their means. I don't doubt there may be some major selling next year to finance some bigger moves in addition to the £40m-odd Mansour is allowed to put in, but they can no longer operate as far beyond clubs like ourselves as they have done.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 12:54:50 PM »
Seems a bit unfair that. Is it just because its Citeh? and not Milan, Barcelona or Liverpool.

Someone else with bigger pockets than the current Big Pockets is going to take the CL trophy off em. Like its ever been any different, money rules.

The Monopoly failing is it. Liverpool cant make the top 4 any more so lets make up a new rule. Of our regular top 4 , three are always in debt, never stopped them being 'allowed' to compete.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
Gianni Infantino: "clubs in breach of the rules will be barred from the Champions' League and the Europa League. Otherwise we lose all credibility".

This isn't just some typical UEFA messing around at the tip of the iceberg, this is Platini's lovechild in legal form. He and the whole of UEFA really are staking everything on this. Garry Cook (Cock) knows this, and has described meeting the new rules as a "major challenge". Make no mistake, this summer was the last time City were able to spend like this beyond their means. I don't doubt there may be some major selling next year to finance some bigger moves in addition to the £40m-odd Mansour is allowed to put in, but they can no longer operate as far beyond clubs like ourselves as they have done.

They can address the spending on transfers issue, but what about wages?  Currently over 100% of turnover and any they ship out will sit tight unless they get a settlement on their £200-a-week contracts. 

It'll all end in tears, as many have said from the start.   

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »
i imagine some lawyer somewhere is working on the loophole for certain clubs, as we speak...

cant have anything upset eufas 'unnoficial european super league', can we?

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »
Can't argue with the results, though. They're doing ever so well

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »

They can address the spending on transfers issue, but what about wages?  Currently over 100% of turnover and any they ship out will sit tight unless they get a settlement on their £200-a-week contracts. 

It'll all end in tears, as many have said from the start.   

I think they'll find some way round it, even if it is a drastic sell-off. One thing's for sure, it won't be the easy path to world domination they'd envisaged, which is good all-round.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 01:02:18 PM »
I have no love for Man City or what they are doing, but I just it's applied fairly and the likes of real Madrid also have to play fair.  With Platini, I'm concerned that won't be the case!

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
Are they not in breach of UEFA rules?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »

As we all know, this is a completely unsustainable football club but will he keep throwing money at it until they are contesting or winning the Champions League every season?

How can the FA or FIFA allow a club to be operating in such a way? Will the new rules really change anything?

Why is it unsustainable ?

The sums involved are peanuts for their owners. If they want to run the club at a loss that's up to them.

People need to stop thinking of clubs as businesses; they're now playthings for the rich. Losing  a couple of hundred million through a football club is no different than spending the same sum on a yacht or mansion.

Whether they are or will be in breach of UEFA's rules is another matter, but the losses don't make the club unsustainable

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »
Losing  a couple of hundred million through a football club is no different than spending the same sum on a yacht or mansion.

But then at least you own the mansion, or the yacht. At man City they will just have a load of mardy children with cartoon cars and infantile drawings on their arms

Online FatSam

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »
I have followed this very closely, but aren't they also potentially distorting the figures with hefty sponsorship from Abu Dhabi based companies, which they control in some way or another, meaning that they are almost sponsoring themselves? A Radio piece mentioned something about this, and how UEFA rules would need to be subtle enough to recognize these kind of issues.

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 01:53:23 PM »
I have no love for Man City or what they are doing, but I just it's applied fairly and the likes of real Madrid also have to play fair.  With Platini, I'm concerned that won't be the case!

Actually, with Platini I'm more confident of it happening. The bad press he's got in this country has been nothing short of propaganda, and has been incredibly misrepresentative of what he's actually like. This is the man who's actually brought in these rules, who has made the Champions' League branch out by having more actual league champions qualify automatically, who is doing all he can to try and break the monopoly that the wealthy have over the not-so-wealthy. If Leonart Johansson had stayed as President, none of these things would have happened. Under Platini the idealist, a man a good deal more romantic even than us fans, I have some hope and faith.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »
I reckon that in a couple of years time, "Man City are flouting the UEFA debt rules" will become the new "Spurs wage bill is much larger than the accounts state".

Just a feeling.

Offline KRS

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »

Why is it unsustainable ?

The sums involved are peanuts for their owners. If they want to run the club at a loss that's up to them.

People need to stop thinking of clubs as businesses; they're now playthings for the rich. Losing  a couple of hundred million through a football club is no different than spending the same sum on a yacht or mansion.

Whether they are or will be in breach of UEFA's rules is another matter, but the losses don't make the club unsustainable
The figures speak for themselves mate. The club is unsustainable as a viable business.

The sums involved may be peanuts for the owners and the clubs may be "playthings for the rich", but it shouldnt be allowed to happen as its destroying the game. The sooner any new financial rules are imposed and strongly enforced so they live within their means the better. It hasnt been and wont ever be a level playing field, but having financial guidelines will at least give clubs a chance of competing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal