collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why do I hate Spurs?  (Read 41208 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Why do I hate Spurs?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »
Monty - indeed.   

I've stopped watching Sky Spurs News as it was getting too much (VAN DER VAAARRRRT this and JERMAINE DEFOE that).

Anyway, I'm just pleasantly surprised I'm not alone.  I always thought of it as s bit of a random hatred.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 09:42:33 PM »
No, most football supporters I know hate Spurs. They probably think its because they're ace, but it's not, it's because they think they're ace and they're not.

Also, what kind of manly sporting institution calls themselves lilywhites for fuck's sake?
It suits them though. So does the COCK on a BALL that is their mascot.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 09:44:39 PM »
The "Young To Spurs Because They're Such A Bigger Club Than Villa" rumours haven't helped, not least because you just know waxface is behind the rumours, saying things off-record to his journo mates.

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
Haha.  Yup.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »
Not sure I hate Spurs, to me they're more like a moderately talented relative family members praise to excess, some of which is occasionally deserved but much of which is cringeworthy. Would never have imagined Man Citeh's backers managing it, and let's face it, it wasn't their intention nor do they give a toss about other fans' views, but they've managed make me want anyone but Citeh to win, and if that means finding Spurs tolerable, so be it.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 09:54:46 PM »
It's true, when it was Citeh vs. Spurs for the CL I definitely would have rather the southern bastards win than the Manc bastards.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 09:55:17 PM »
1981/2 Charity Shield - after the game some of us were taunted by cockney tossers waving £5 notes at us, as all Brummies were obviously unemployed.
Not arsed about the club but despise their current manager.
Speak to people who have insider knowledge of the game and it becomes abundantly clear that his reputation regarding certain fiscal matters have some credence, hence the close attentions of HMRC.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 09:58:02 PM »
I'm convinced that perception is far more important than truth.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »
I don't see hating Spurs as a bad thing. Growing up in the south id meet quite a few fans,and they do all seemed a bit too pleased with themselves,always thinking the club are bigger and better than they actually are,the press dont help with theyre giant Spurs love in...wankers.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
I dislike Spurs because their fans fail to recognise the role Villa played in their existence as a modern club.  As with many clubs, Spurs should respectfully look upon Villa as their kindly bigger - and more handsome - brother.

In 1896 (on winning the Southern League) Spurs called on the biggest and most famous club in the world, the Fathers of the Game, to play them in a  friendly.  Aston Villa F.C. duly turned up and the sell-out crowd's gate receipts helped the amateur Spurs to stabilise and grow.   

Spurs called on Villa to help them out in this way on several more occasions, each time allowing the Londoners to boost their coffers and to gain the essential experience of playing against a proper, professional outfit until they eventually had the finances, strucures and experience in place to seek membership of The League.  Fact is Villa did an awful lot to help Spurs establish themselves as a professional club and have played no small part in their history.

I dislike Spurs because they are historical small-fry compared to Villa and they owe us a huge debt of gratitude.  They wouldn't exist as they do now without us, yet they have the nerve to think they are somehow superior.  It's a bit like Cliff Richard thinking he's bigger and better than Elvis (and the Cockney press all agreeing). 

They are a naughty child who suddenly thinks he's bigger and better than Dad.  The bloomin' cheek of it!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 11:00:59 PM »
Because you're a horse.

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 12:01:44 AM »
I hate them because my Dad supports them. Not that I dislike my Father, but his belief that they are a bigger club than us is very, very irritating. Also, Harry Redknapp is a prick.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 12:42:32 AM »
I havn't got a problem with Spurs, i think their record in the last 50 years stands up well - a double, three European trophies, a total of six FA cups and three league cups - I don't mind Arsenal or Chelsea either but some people just don't like London clubs. I save my dislike for Liverpool (too many glory hunters at school in the eighties), Man Utd (too many reasons to list) and Blues (again too many reasons to list). If those three went down I'd wish all the others the best of luck.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 05:26:32 AM »
It's got to be the disproportionate media bias. I saw something once on ESPN Classic which had them beating Arsenal in the SEMI final of the '91 Cup as one of the greatest ever games ever. I literally spluttered into my beer with apoplexy.

It was a great game. Much better than the final that year. What's your problem with that?

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 07:27:36 AM »
Billy, nicely put.

Chris, if my original question was in fact a riddle of some kind, you would win with your answer!

3 points tomorrow please.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal