collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: GH Vs. DOL  (Read 20599 times)

Offline Rancid custard

Re: GH Vs. DOL
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2010, 05:40:08 PM »
He did make some decent signings for us on a fairly tight budget.

OK, this is where I hop out of your canoe and start swimming for the shore. Good luck

If you choose to forget the joys Milan Baros's powerhouse displays bought to us then more fool you.

Fickle bastard.

Mind you most of us were pretty happy when Baros signed.

Even more chuffed when we got Kinsella.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2010, 06:16:33 PM »
He did make some decent signings for us on a fairly tight budget.

OK, this is where I hop out of your canoe and start swimming for the shore. Good luck

If you choose to forget the joys Milan Baros's powerhouse displays bought to us then more fool you.

Fickle bastard.

Mind you most of us were pretty happy when Baros signed.

Even more chuffed when we got Kinsella.

Who wasn't a DOL signing.

I'd just like to make it clear that I'm in no way whatsoever defending the pug nosed twat.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2010, 06:55:45 PM »
He had a decent introduction to football management as youth coach at Leedzzz at then as assistant manager.

He placed his faith in the likes of Smith, Woodgate, Kewell, Harte, Robinson and all the rest of it and signed some very good players too (and some shite TBF). Getting to the latter stages of the UEFA Cup, The CL qualification and CL semi's he should take credit for. It wasn't simply a case of him inheriting a good side from Graham, turning up on match day sitting back and watching them win. Leeds under Graham were a dire, workmanlike side. Quite content to grind out a 0-0 rather than take the game to the opposition.

But even back then there were signs of the vanity, smugness and self satisfaction that we'd all come to know and love.

Sad thing is there is a decent football brain in there somewhere. He's just so utterly dislikeable. By his own players, fans, the works.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
Interesting thread.

Why I remember it were O'dreary's comments on Leeds were always how much better it was there and why dosen't Ellis give me 100m to spend like that nice Mr Ridsdale did.

Whereas GH just seems to mention Liverpool whenever he's comparing it to here, like players etc.

I don' think it's a major problem tbh.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »
Houllier's comment about Liverpool bothered me none but I'm now starting to wonder if he's going to mention them with every interview:

From Soccernet:

But Houllier admits the form of Carlos Cuellar as his replacement has given him a welcome selection headache.

He said: "That sort of headache I can take. A bad headache is when you've not got enough players. Carlos looked strong and solid and reminded me of Jamie Carragher. He goes for everything in the air and is brave. Although Carlos has a better grasp of the English Language."

Don't you hate it when they don't print the whole quote. Luckily I found the last line and added it.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2010, 07:46:12 PM »
Houllier's comment about Liverpool bothered me none but I'm now starting to wonder if he's going to mention them with every interview:

From Soccernet:

But Houllier admits the form of Carlos Cuellar as his replacement has given him a welcome selection headache.

He said: "That sort of headache I can take. A bad headache is when you've not got enough players. Carlos looked strong and solid and reminded me of Jamie Carragher. He goes for everything in the air and is brave."

He certainly seems to go out of his way to mention Liverpool whenever given the chance. It would have been much more natural if he had said "Carlos looked strong and solid and reminded me of a player I've managed previously". No-one would have wondered which previous player he actually refered to.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »
I guess it's an immediate point of reference, his last experience of English football colours his thinking somewhat and so in giving examples he draws on what he knows here, rather than French scenarios.

Fine for a week or so, but I think quite a few will tire of it if it persists.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »
Ive looked back at the rushes and GH was clearly misquoted. He never compared Carlos to Jamie Carragher - he said he reminded him of Jim Callaghan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal