collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Midfield  (Read 24909 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: Midfield
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »
If we're going to be playing one striker more often than not, I'd rather Fonz went out on loan. Not much point him hanging around if he's going to be behind Heskey, Gabby and Carew for one position.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2010, 12:22:49 PM »
If we're going to be playing one striker more often than not, I'd rather Fonz went out on loan. Not much point him hanging around if he's going to be behind Heskey, Gabby and Carew for one position.
I'd agree.
We only need 3 strikers in the squad if we're playing 1 up front.
Nathan could do with a loan spell at somewhere like QPR or Norwich.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »
I think it was under Gregory there was talk of having a 'big hitter' on the bench, which at that time was normally Collymore.  The principal being that there was an attacking player you'd be more than happy to start with in the subs so as to give genuine options to tactically and attackingly effect a game when necessary.  We've seen this in the last two games with Heskey and then Gabby coming on.

So maybe our thinking is flawed and it shouldn't be a case of trying to get Ash, Gabby and Ireland in the same side, but have one of them in reserve to bring on against tiring sides when needed?  Add Carew to that mix aswell.

I like this way of thinking.  Far to often we've bemoaned the fact there's nobody on the bench that could come on and change a game.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
How strange, but from what I've seen this season I think I'd rather the Delfouneso behind Heskey in the pecking order and ahead of Gabby & Carew.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »
How strange, but from what I've seen this season I think I'd rather the Delfouneso behind Heskey in the pecking order and ahead of Gabby & Carew.

If you had but Heskey at the head of that pecking order this time last week you'd have been lambasted as a mad man.

A week truely is a long time in football!

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2010, 08:14:36 PM »
I think Fonz can play in one of the wide positions if needs be, and with Gabby and Carew lacking fitnes and form, I'd be reluctant to let Fonz go out just yet.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »
For me, it's Carew who is surplus, in the current set-up.
If Heskey the battering ram doesn't do it in a game, why bring on someone similar? - a Gabby, Fonz and Heskey combination brings variety. And don't forget that there's Weimann to come back too.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »
I think it was under Gregory there was talk of having a 'big hitter' on the bench, which at that time was normally Collymore.  The principal being that there was an attacking player you'd be more than happy to start with in the subs so as to give genuine options to tactically and attackingly effect a game when necessary.  We've seen this in the last two games with Heskey and then Gabby coming on.

This is just about having a squad, they'll all get games, but in this day and age they must realise they won't start everyone.

So maybe our thinking is flawed and it shouldn't be a case of trying to get Ash, Gabby and Ireland in the same side, but have one of them in reserve to bring on against tiring sides when needed?  Add Carew to that mix aswell.

I like this way of thinking.  Far to often we've bemoaned the fact there's nobody on the bench that could come on and change a game.

Offline cb

« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »
The player I think most of us would really like to drop is Downing, but he keeps scoring goals making that impossible right now.   

Damn him and his pesky goal scoring; we really don't wan that in our midfielders!!! ;)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »

I think we could play

Friedel

Young Cuellar Collins Warnock
 Albrighton Reo Coker Downing
Young  Heskey Ireland

with 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 / 4-3-1-2 / 4-3-2-1 formation. This would give opposition managers nightmares :)

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
...Don't you want to be swapping Albrighton, Downing, Young and Ireland round a bit there, SPA?

Offline luke25

« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »

I think we could play

Friedel

Young Cuellar Collins Warnock
 Albrighton Reo Coker Downing
Young  Heskey Ireland

with 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 / 4-3-1-2 / 4-3-2-1 formation. This would give opposition managers nightmares :)
im gonna have sleepless nites thinking theres somebody who'd happily play that midfield

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2010, 05:16:24 PM »
I maintain that the issues with Petrov is form. The way he plays his position means he deals with very fine margins, and if he's a touch out of form it can look like he's playing rubbish, even when he isn't really (though he has been below-standard for this season). However, he remains our most competent passer of the ball in deep midfield by far, something indispensible if we're serious about playing passing football. The way he spreads the play to Albrighton especially is reminiscent of Barry to Young a few years ago, and even out of form he very rarely gives the ball away. I have faith he'll recapture his form.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
with these 4 midfielders (all but Reo Coker) they can swap positions like Ajax and Total Football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal