collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Midfield  (Read 24987 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Midfield
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »
As much as I hate to say it, Man City did a superb job of stifling Chelsea on Saturday. Their defensive midfielders stuffing the centre stopped Chelsea from playing. I think that we should do the same even if it means playing Reo-Coker, maybe Petrov and Sidwell in there. If we concede the centre as we have done in the 2nd halves against Stoke, Bolton and Wolves then Chelsea'll take us to the cleaners.

I remember making a very similar argument before the home game against Chelsea last season, where I was convinced that we HAD to play 5 across the middle to combat them and any other formation would see us get stuffed. 

We played 4-4-2 and beat them 2-1.

Online KRS

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »
Our midfield was being over run and out played by Wolves yesterday. We were second to the ball and incapable of passing to our own players for most of the game. If it wasnt for some great defending then it could have got very messy and embarrassing.

Looking at the bench for who could come on and change things was even more worrying...Sidwell being the only option is quite a worrying prospect! Unfortunately our weakened midfield is the down side of selling Milner, and we need urgent strengthening in this department.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »
Our midfield was being over run and out played by Wolves yesterday.

For a portion of the second half. I'm all for improving this area but lets not pretend we were battered yesterday. We weren't.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »
I thought Reo Coker was excellent yesterday.

Online KRS

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »
Well I'd say we were pretty much battered for most of the 2nd half...under pressure and couldnt get it out of our own half until he brought on Gabby. We couldnt pass to our own players or retain possession, and this was summed up by yet another hoof from Collins bypassing the midfield to an offside Heskey. Things improved slowly after bringing Gabby on, but we could have been punished by a more ruthless team. If we dont get this sorted then next week against Spurs could be a very painful watch.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 01:32:09 PM »
Young-Carlos-Dunne-Warnock

----------Collins-NRC

--Albrighton-----------Downing

--------------Young

--------------E-Mule

Alternatively I'd consider resting Albrighton, saving him as an impact player for late on to run at the tiring defence, play Young on the right and let Gabby sit dep and storm past the e-mule into the gaps...

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
We were sloppy and under pressure. That's not being battered. After they scored from the fluke did they even have a clear chance? We had a few and scored from one.

The second half performance wasn't great, nobody would argue that.
But we showed character after they had a spell and got a deserved winner.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
I fear that playing Collins as a DCM would be a failed experiment, especially against the midfield Spurs have.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »

----------Collins-NRC

--------------Young

--------------E-Mule

Alternatively I'd consider resting Albrighton, saving him as an impact player for late on to run at the tiring defence, play Young on the right and let Gabby sit dep and storm past the e-mule into the gaps...

Funnily enough, I was considering how Collins would play as a defensive midfielder.
It would seem crazy but it might just work. Occasionally.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 01:44:16 PM »
not sure he has the pace to play that role tbh...

Online KRS

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
Well I'd say we were pretty much battered for most of the 2nd half...under pressure and couldnt get it out of our own half until he brought on Gabby.
We were sloppy and under pressure. That's not being battered.
Fair enough...my definition of "battered" means "under pressure". We were solid in defence and soaked it up well, but we were sloppy and unable to retain possession because we were "under pressure". 

Like I said, a better and more clinical team could have punished us, and I hope this is worked on ahead of Spurs this weekend.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 01:47:11 PM »
The rumours are Houllier is looking at a defensive midfielder at Real Madrid.
Rumours from where?

Aston Villa Boss Gerard Houllier To Launch Bid For Real Madrid Outcast Fernando Gago

I know its great to finally be linked with a sexily named Argentinian but if i am honest i have never heard of him or seen him play

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 01:47:23 PM »

----------Collins-NRC

--------------Young

--------------E-Mule

Funnily enough, I was considering how Collins would play as a defensive midfielder.
It would seem crazy but it might just work. Occasionally.

I'm not a fan of the idea, but that aside I think it's be far too risky in a game like Spurs away.  Trying it against Burnley in the cup would be a far better idea.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
I would like to see steven defour in there if he is over is injury he would be a very good player.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Yeah but he's probably still got Fergie's love letter in his top pocket (or should that be tap pocket) *vomits*.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal