collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Midfield  (Read 24983 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: Midfield
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 09:53:43 AM »
I am in the "he can't pass to save his life" camp usually, but I actually though NRC's passing was much improved yesterday.

I think he's been better this season. He's actually playing decent passes forward for Young to run onto, not just 5 yard passes that he doesn't seem to connect 100% with.

Nice to see NRC, Heskey & Luke Young getting back in the side and deserving to keep their place.

It's almost like having 3 new signings.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »
It was Reo Coker that needed the help yesterday. I have nothing but respect for Stan and I wish him the best but if he keeps fading badly in games and being dragged all over the place he's a liability to us.

The problem was they went to 4-5-1 in the second half and we got pushed back, I don't see how that can be blamed on Petrov when we had 2 against 3 in there.

The balance isn't right in our midfield and that's a consequence of selling Milner and not replacing him. Those playing are having to make do for now and I think we'll see plenty more similar performances while the manager looks for a solution. It's not the fault of the individual players who are all trying to make the best of it but rather down to not having the right combination.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 09:57:44 AM »
I'm just glad GH took Petrov off when he tired. Something that MON would never have done.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »
It's been apparent for more than a season that Petrov after 60 mins is dead on his feet.  Rather than replacing him with Sidwell I would want to see the introduction of Delph and Gardner assuming that they are nearing the road to recovery.  Even Bannan could fill the role better than a knackered Petrov.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »
It's been apparent for more than a season that Petrov after 60 mins is dead on his feet.  Rather than replacing him with Sidwell I would want to see the introduction of Delph and Gardner assuming that they are nearing the road to recovery.  Even Bannan could fill the role better than a knackered Petrov.

I think Sidwell was the only choice. Ireland was warming up but I don't think he's 100% fit. Hamstring issues at a guess.

Delph would be perfect when fit.

Any news on him?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »
There was a good player in Bremen's side over the weekend, like a tall NRC who could pass. I can't mind his name though. I sound like Storey-Moore.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
The rumours are Houllier is looking at a defensive midfielder at Real Madrid.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »

Fernando Gago?

If it was him then Man City almost signed him for about £16m back in January.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 10:44:03 AM »

Rumours from where?

Offline GullyFoyle

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 10:45:08 AM »
If Houllier can get Heskey playing like a striker and NRC passing the ball to one of his own players, perhaps he can get Sidwell to play like he did at Reading. We could do with that as there are a lot of games between now and January.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
People were always going to jump on Petrov when he had a dip in form. The fact is that his job is hardly one where he gets all the plaudits even when he's playing well, so if he starts to not play as well he gets hammered even more. However, even when he's not playing well he still organises things really well in there (NRC palpably benefits from his presence) and, anyway, is way better than Sidwell. He'll be back up to form, I have no doubts about that, he's been through worse. He'll benefit from GH's style as time goes on and I think we'll see the best of him again.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 11:32:07 AM »
Cheers mate. I'm not sure that's the best source or if there's any truth to it but if there is we may as well get Mahmadou Diarra as well whilst we're there. Defensive midfield sorted.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
It was Reo Coker that needed the help yesterday. I have nothing but respect for Stan and I wish him the best but if he keeps fading badly in games and being dragged all over the place he's a liability to us.

As usual a Mon squad starts to fade from 50 mins on, Coker included. But he's so effective at breaking down opponents attacks and made fools of those who say he can't pass. He covered more ground than most, certainly all of those in midfield but when the pressure came on in the second half he disappeared along with the rest. He did come back with a vengeance when Houllier made his subs, mind and continued to do the sort of work most fans miss.
Sidwell apart from fresh legs offered little, but then Petrov had faded badly, from our first goal onwards, he kept hiding. Part of the problem for me was Albrighton started to run around like a headless chicken, once he'd been sussed, and that put more pressure on the midfield.
We do need more there than we have as first picks let alone bench warmers, but when managers sell off players who can defend, well, and replace them with players who don't what can you expect.
Here's hoping Houllier has answers and quick.

Offline AVFCRob

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Isn't the problem though that we give the ball away, generally, too cheaply and therefore have to work hard to get it back thus leading to the team tiring as the match progresses? Also, by playing two touchline hugging wingers we make the centre midfield area a Villa free zone far too often. The commentators yesterday pointed out the amount of space in central areas that we were giving up.

If GH and GM are concentrating on passing which seems an obvious thing to do then hopefully the higher degree of control that we should have in matches ought to prevent the fatigue that seems to afflict us.

Hopefully too, GM will dispense with the 2 winger formation against teams that could slaughter us through the middle. As much as I hate to say it, Man City did a superb job of stifling Chelsea on Saturday. Their defensive midfielders stuffing the centre stopped Chelsea from playing. I think that we should do the same even if it means playing Reo-Coker, maybe Petrov and Sidwell in there. If we concede the centre as we have done in the 2nd halves against Stoke, Bolton and Wolves then Chelsea'll take us to the cleaners.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal