collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 02:15:51 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:13:28 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 02:06:00 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by chrisw1
[Today at 02:05:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 02:01:12 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 02:15:51 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:13:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 02:06:00 PM]

Re: John McGinn - signed (Captain) by chrisw1
[Today at 02:05:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:03:35 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 02:01:12 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 02:00:53 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Midfield  (Read 24982 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Midfield
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:02:14 AM »
Watching the game against Wolves and reading posts after many were saying Petrov has to be dropped.
The problem is that we are bereft of anyone good enough to take his spot. If we had to play someone out of position as an experiment who would be the logical choice? Whatever we do if we continue with that midfield set up we will get flogged by the better sides.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Midfield
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 04:54:32 AM »
I think our centre midfield choices are so poor that we will have to tweak the formation to put three in there. Petrov isnt struggling, he is finished. He hasnt the legs to play centrally in a 442 anymore, Reo Coker isnt a footballer - he doesnt want the ball and cant use it. Sidwell was been shocking in a Villa shirt, gave away some stupid fouls when he came on but looked alright on the ball actually for a change. Ireland cant play centrally in a 442 either as he has no pace, presence or tactical discipline. Delph might do but it will be expecting a bit much from a young lad just back from a bad knee injury to be our main midfielder straight away. I think we will have to go into the market in January to buy one if not two central midfielders. The Switz player Gokhan Inler has impressed me the few times I have seen him and is gettable I would think - others to consider Momo Sissoko and Jeremy Toulalan. Mahamadou Diarra (on loan perhaps), Tymoschuk and Lewandowski all could be considered but are 30 plus.

Dropping Warnock will also need to be considered. He doesnt seem overly fit either. Heskey got a great winner yesterday but I dont think he is really an option to be played up top by himself as he hasnt got the pace to get in behind. Gabby will need to get the finger out which aint a bad thing either.

For Tottenham game I'd go with

Friedel
L Young, Cuellar, Collins, Warnock
--------Reo Coker, Sidwell, ----------
A Young, Ireland, Downing
--------------Heskey----------------

Spurs were awful at the weekend. Corluka is hopeless at centre half and if we can put pressure on Huddlestone they will hoof everything to Crouch.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 06:28:57 AM »
It should be NRC, His form has improved over the last few games.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:30:36 AM »
I thought NRC has been excellent recently - good in the tackle, getting forwards and back, playing simple passes well, even got into some decent goal-scoring positions yesterday.

I'd agree that Petrov and Sidwell are either not good enough or not young enough anymore, and agree that Ireland's best position is further forwards. It all depends on what tactical system the manager has us playing, but I do agree we need some new recruits in that area. Its such a pity for Delph with the extent and timing of his injury - he could have already racked up 20-or so appearances already, and the club would have a better idea about his potential.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »
Very harsh on Reo Coker brontebilly. I thought he covered superbly for Petrov, was actually quite good on the ball and wanted it. And Ireland does have pace even if its not really his game.
Your starting line up against Tottenham also means dropping Albrighton which I dont think is particularly smart at the moment.

However, I agree on Petrov. He needs replacing and soon as he looks lost and is already breathing through his arse in September. I also agree on how you'd play Ireland (his best position) although it means moving Young to the wing again and as he links up well with Heskey in that role, again, do we want to be changing that right now?
Its a real pity Delph isnt fit because I'm sure he'd be playing in this team and loving it. He's the only real alternative we have for Petrov, short of trying Sidwell for a run to see if he can remember he was once a player.
Other alternatives involve using Bannan or Downing inside as part of a midfield three.

The long term outlook is very good because both Delph and Gary Gardner are going to be fantastic midfielders for us I think. But in January, Houllier is clearly going to have to buy one or two central midfielders and in particular a robust box to box or screening player. Somebody in the Defour, Diarra, Essien mould.
Some would say striker is the priority but I would say this is.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Re Gary Gardener and Fabian Delph

I know that before their injuries they were both considered to be outstanding future stars, but having such a long lay-off in a crucial period of their developing years as players could have a long-term effect on their careers. By the time they are both back to full fitness will they have lost that potential star quality? A year out at those ages can be incredibly damaging, and they have missed a lot of football, training, learning with their peers etc. I'm not writing them off, I'm just worried, because I was hoping to see them as the future Villa midfield together.

Offline supertom

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 08:48:29 AM »
Might be worth putting Clark in as an anchorman next to Nigel. He's good with the ball. Davies may be another option, but he's a liability too often.

The prospect of playing Sidwell fills me with dread, but sadly, he's the only solid option, all the rest are too lightweight.

I felt sorry for Coker yesterday because he was isolated in CM, trying to stem the flow. Petrov just gave up, or at least his legs did.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »
Is the problem with our midfield the fact the defence sit so deep and the wide men stay wide, leaving acres of space for a midfield 2, I thought NRC's legs went as well yesterday.

We might have to sacrifice the Ashley Young free role to get some help in for the midfield but we haven't got many options.

Stan Petrov can still be an asset to us if we get some more help around him, personally I thought he had a very good first half.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »
It was Reo Coker that needed the help yesterday. I have nothing but respect for Stan and I wish him the best but if he keeps fading badly in games and being dragged all over the place he's a liability to us.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »
Re Gary Gardener and Fabian Delph

I know that before their injuries they were both considered to be outstanding future stars, but having such a long lay-off in a crucial period of their developing years as players could have a long-term effect on their careers. By the time they are both back to full fitness will they have lost that potential star quality? A year out at those ages can be incredibly damaging, and they have missed a lot of football, training, learning with their peers etc. I'm not writing them off, I'm just worried, because I was hoping to see them as the future Villa midfield together.

It is a concern but there's every reason to think they'll be back to normal, especially with our facilities.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:19:04 AM »
I would like to see Ireland NRC together in the middle for a game.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
I am in the "he can't pass to save his life" camp usually, but I actually though NRC's passing was much improved yesterday.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Could do with getting hold of a quality holding midfielder in January.
Easier said than done though.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 09:51:20 AM »
I would like to see Ireland NRC together in the middle for a game.

As would I!

I don't think we have a lack of talent for the midfield, but we do seem to be struggling to find the right blend.  IMO, this is because we lack a good holding player, as if we had that the attacking options we have (Ireland, Ash, Albrighton) would be able to get forward with more freedom.  Unfortunately, right now we're using Petrov there and he hasn't got the legs for it.  NRC has, but isn't really good enough on the ball.  A 3 would work, but that would mean one of Ash, Downing or Albrighton being dropped, who are all doing well right now. 

As I said, we're struggling to find the right blend.

One issue with NRC is that when he playes with Petrov he goes a little further forward, either naturally or by instruction, which isn;t his best game.  I want the NRC who played centrally with Barry in 07/08 and sat back to hold and protect the defence, which we won;t see while Petrov is in the side.

So, the unfortunate conculsion is that we've tried various combinations and none have completely worked, but we've yet to try one without Petrov and I think it's time!     

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
Could do with getting hold of a quality holding midfielder in January.
Easier said than done though.

If we do, I'd still like us to go for Witsel of Standard Liege.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal