collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Bad English
[Today at 12:15:40 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 12:14:55 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:10:05 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:09:08 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:01:43 PM]

150 celebrations by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:41:56 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Bad English
[Today at 12:15:40 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 12:14:55 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:10:05 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 12:09:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:09:08 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 12:06:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:05:38 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:02:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolverhampton Wanderers v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 72563 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
Under MON we'd have drawn that game; under KMac we'd have lost it. 

That's a snappy line but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. We've had a great away record over the past couple of seasons, full of games where we've won when we've spend large parts of it defending. I know that it's hard for the revisionists to take but it was a very MON like performance.

I don't think it's revisionism to point out that we drew the corresponding game against Wolves last season, after taking the lead.  The fact that we DID draw the game under O'Neill last season means it does stand up to scrutiny.

Ah I see, so we're only talking about games againts the Wolves, not trying to make any sort of wider point. With you now. Although as MacDonald didn't play any games against them I'm not sure why his name was mentioned.

Even MON's biggest critics would have to conceded that our away record, in terms of results, was extremely good.

Whilst our results on the road were excellent, games often followed a similar pattern.
Us either starting brightly or having a good spell either late in the first half/ early second half and then defending in numbers when the opposition upped the ante,  all hands to the pump hacking the ball away. Like some lower division side in the FA Cup.  Rarely any changes or substitutions to stem the tide and give the opposition something to think about.

Yesterday when Wolves were getting a foothold in the game, GH brought on Gabby for Albrighton. The knock on effect being that their fullback and wide midfielder had to be wary of leaving too much space in behind.

When Petrov had ran his race, GH was not shy in bringing him off.

None of these changes were tactical masterstokes that suddenly had us playing like Real Madrid. But they did have the desired effect in gradually pulling us back into the game. Rather than doing nowt and hoping for the best.

I do wonder if we'll be seeing similar bravery when GH signs his own players though. To a certain extent it is easy for a new manager to come in and pick a side on form/ merit only. He has no loyalty to this new bunch of players, he didn't sign them. So they have to justify their inclusion.

MON picked some innovative formations when he started, lets not forget. And wasn't afraid to drop or sub players either. That reticence only came about in the latter part of his reign.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »
Gabby would have started yesterday if MON was in charge. Petrov would not have been brought off.

What effect that had is open to debate.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »
Saw Emiles header 9 or 10 times now, don't want to go over the top but im struggling to think of a better header that has ever been scored, the leap, the way he hung in the air, the power he got and the placement was simply amazing, adding to that the move which lead to it wasn't bad either
You forgot to mention the timing. Most players would have been knackered in the last few minutes of a game.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #273 on: September 27, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »
The placement does it for me.

Even with the leap, power and timing he only had a very narrow gap to aim for. He could have got all the rest right and still Hahnemann might have got to it. But he put it in the only spot the keeper couldn't get to.

Offline peter w

« Reply #274 on: September 27, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
Not sure if this is covered by now but I want to pick up on McCarthy's ( is he one of a few people who's name only says right by saying the first name also?) views on Warnock and his possible second yellow.

For an ex-centre-half, and one that has berated the decline of the physical side of the game - and by the that I don't mean the clattering fouls - and that referee's are too quick to caution players for simply committing a foul, his words are strange.

Yes, it was a clumsy challenge and if it had have happened on the egde of the box and stopped the player getting into the box he probably would have seen a yellow as it could be seen as stopping a potential goal scoring chance opening up. As it was it was a lunge for the ball, and whether he got a slight touch on it is irrelevant to the bigger picture. Which is that Warnock simply committed a foul. Not a bad one, not a goal scoring opportunity being denied, not a desperate lunge, just a foul.

In today's football it could be argued that Warnock was lucky, and I know that as a student of the game (go on then...) I would feel the same if it had have happened to a Wolves player against us. It was not a bookable offence. To prove my credentials I also think the Liverpool goal was a goal. I'll expand on that elsewhere.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2010, 06:31:17 PM »

I think McCarthy is trying to cover his own inadequacies peter.

I thought Wolves were very poor yday, playing 3 midfielders who could'nt pass, and failing to get the ball to their 3 best players, and no plan B.Poor team led by poor management.For me they are not as good a team as last year.

Hou's subs however made a difference...........looking good atm.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #276 on: September 27, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »
I was crying out for G-Hou to take Warnock off as I thought he was going to get sent off, but G-Hou left him on and his cross was the assist for the goal..   G-Hou , a masterstroke leaving him on..  ;-))

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »
I really don't get the negative comments on here about the performance. Wolves at home is a tough place. We were by far the better team in the first half. Yes they came at us in the second but other than the freak goal can some one point to any chances they created, any close calls we had? None is the answer.
Friedels 3 saves?
What?  Other than making a routine  save from Jones I don't remember anything else.

Totally missed the reactions save from Edwards half volley in the first half and the less then spectacular but equally important block from Doyle seconds later?
and you missed  the bit where I said 2nd half!

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2010, 12:02:12 PM »
I really don't get the negative comments on here about the performance. Wolves at home is a tough place. We were by far the better team in the first half. Yes they came at us in the second but other than the freak goal can some one point to any chances they created, any close calls we had? None is the answer.
Friedels 3 saves?
What?  Other than making a routine  save from Jones I don't remember anything else.

Totally missed the reactions save from Edwards half volley in the first half and the less then spectacular but equally important block from Doyle seconds later?
and you missed  the bit where I said 2nd half!

I missed the reference that you were just talking about the second half for chances yes. Wolves main issue in the second half was decisions. There was one pretty dangerous move when one of their players (initially tracked by Gabby or AYoung) who just ambled into the box whilst the play was on the wing. The cross came in to the player and luckily Doyle tried to control it first. If he had let it run the unmarked player would have received the ball in front of a virtually empty goal.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »

I missed the reference that you were just talking about the second half for chances yes. Wolves main issue in the second half was decisions. There was one pretty dangerous move when one of their players (initially tracked by Gabby or AYoung) who just ambled into the box whilst the play was on the wing. The cross came in to the player and luckily Doyle tried to control it first. If he had let it run the unmarked player would have received the ball in front of a virtually empty goal.

and that is why  Doyle is still playimg for Wolves and not moved on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal