collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: David Moyes  (Read 21885 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: David Moyes
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »
I like Moyes, I still think Everton will turn the corner very soon and be up there yet again. They always start slow though don't they? Who knows why.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »

You take out the money from Rooney and Lescott, you have to say that he has'nt had a great deal of money to spend.
  You look at his buys, he has'nt done too bad, Cahill, Jagelka, Pienaar, Saha, have all been excellant signings, and then you have Arteta.Some buys have been questionable, granted, but i think if he would have had the money MON, or Bruce have had, then i think you would have to say you would probably be closer to the top 4.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »
He's a good manager, but that doesn't mean that he is without limitations. From what I understand, Everton have played better than their current league position suggests. That sometimes happen in football.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 11:22:38 AM »
To be fair Everton get off to a crap start virtually every season.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 11:23:05 AM »
I have a theory.  And that is, his head was turned when Villa declared their interest.  But he was obviously loyal to Everton.  That may have had an effect on their current form.  I may of course be completely wrong.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 11:33:22 AM »
Overrated in my opinion. And some of the most boring football I've ever seen has been played by Everton under Moyes.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 11:53:47 AM »
All he needs is for Beckford to start scoring all the goals that some on here predicted he was capable of at Premier League level...

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 11:56:16 AM »
The style of football argument I don't see.

That probably had some merit a few years ago when they were notorious for going 1-0 up home or away and sitting on it,  just completely killing the game as a spectacle. Also, I don't think I've ever seen an uglier game than our 3-2 win up there in 98 - with them just content to  launch the ball into our box at every available opportunity.  But they have developed since then and have more than one way to play.

The 3-3 at our place in the same season they played some cracking football, and some of the passing and movement at VP this season from them was top class. Had we lost that game 3 or even 4-1 we couldn't realistically have had too many complaints.

They've missed a trick this year though. Despite his regular griping, every summer in recent seasons they've made at least one top class signing. They haven't spent as much as other clubs, but they'be built a good squad gradually in that manner. DM's error ratio in the transfer market must be one of the best too, that helps of course.  But not signing a forward this summer could have major repercussions for them. I'm sure he did try, so you have to wonder if the finance has gone completely up there.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »
He came in to the coffee house/ restaraunty type place I used to manage in Preston, he'd been back to watch his old side (about 2 yrs into his Everton career) playing an evening match (Chimichanga and a sparkling water).  What a thoroughly nice bloke he was too, nowhere near as scary as he comes over on tv, his eyes didn't appear to bulge in that slightly reptilian way, it must be to do with the lighting. 
Anywho; Everton will finish in the top 8 again this year more than likely, and with the finances available to him that is a fantastic achievement.  Let's face it we were more than a little lucky to get 3 points off them at our place, and I've checked the goat entrails, the red shite and the knuckledraggers are both destined to lose.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 03:01:26 PM »
I like Moyes. At least he doesn't throw his toys out of the pram and leave his club in the shit when told he doesn't have money to spend.

Offline supertom

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 03:09:06 PM »
Those 5th places he got were real over-achievements. I think he's a decent gaffer. Everton have generally started slowly over the last few season. Not quite this slowly mind, and this season, though they're suffering some injuries, not to the extent of the previous two years.

They'll turn it round though, I'm sure. But really, should be no threat to ourselves. They should be 8th place. They won't push on without investment. To be fair to Moyes, he's got blood from a stone.

He might have run his course though, fresh ideas may be required. But I sense a change would only result at mid table mediocrity at best.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »
Moyes needs to start Everton's season with a Christmas party for the players.  They'd will the league for sure.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
Quote from: The Situation link=topic=40398.msg1591571#msg1591571  if they still haven't won after those 3 games I'll find it hard to see how he WON'T be fired.
[/quote

Well they'd need to find another manager for a start and as we proved they're not that east to find.  There is of course a certain MON available.  I think he would do a good job at Everton as they have some great players.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 05:54:49 PM »
Can't believe how quickly people on here are writing Everton off! It was only a couple of seasons ago that they clawed back a massive amount of points to finish above us. It's not even October and they are only three wins of a top four place....
They are not as strong as in previous years, but they will give us a good run for our money.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
My mate who supports Everton has wanted him out for the last couple of seasons.  A lot of it is to do with the rubbish players he has bought like Saha and how dreadful the football is that they play. Moyes was part of the reason why he gave up his season ticket he has had for over 20 years.  It's funny how people see a club from the outside to the supporters of a club.

Madness. Saha is an excellent striker.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal