collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa: Liverpool's goal today  (Read 33603 times)

Offline KRS

Re: 0% Villa: Liverpool's goal today
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 10:38:29 PM »
No doubt that was his intention but its still his mistake.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2010, 11:58:35 PM »
I think the defender was passing the ball back to the goalie to take the free kick not just underhitting a pass to the goalie which Torres intercepted.

I disagree. It looked like a back pass to me.

I think we'll see a lot of picking the ball up and carrying/throwing it in the coming weeks

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »
MOTD showed that the ref had turned his back on the restart and didnt have a clue what was happening, you can argue all you like about the technacalities of what happened but there was a deriliction of duty on the part of the ref wanker

Offline KRS

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 12:28:40 AM »
Yep having seen on MOTD, the situation could easily have been avoided if the ref wasnt so incompetent and shit.

Play was brought back due to Sunderland taking a quick free kick. Ball is passed back towards keeper after ref runs away from play without blowing his whistle to restart play. The correct thing to do would have paid attention and signalled restart of play accordingly, so its a situation created by yet another referee blunder. All the way through the highlights you hear his whistle clearly, so why didnt he signal restart of play having blown for the freekick to be taken again?

There is a case for both sides, but the responsibility for this mess is with the ref. Its about time the FA removed him from the PL rota and let him learn his trade in the lower leagues, but the FA also need to clear up the rules regarding "play to the whistle" rather than letting refs make their own rules over quick freekicks.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 12:30:13 AM »
MOTD showed that the ref had turned his back on the restart and didnt have a clue what was happening, you can argue all you like about the technacalities of what happened but there was a deriliction of duty on the part of the ref wanker

With the assistant ref looking at it, which is his job.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 12:49:42 AM »
Im going to defend Atwell here.
The Laws of the game state, that a free kick is taken when the ball is kicked and moves. (it doesnt need to move its circumference anymore).
The ball was placed where the ref wanted it an the Sunderland player kicked it back to his own goal, therefore once he has done that, in law, the ball is in play.
People can argue all they want about the players intentions etc, but the bottom line is, he did kick it and it moved.
Unless an infringement has taken place, the ref cant disallow it.
As for him not running backwards, im sure he was expecting the ball to be launched forward, and he just wanted to get into position asap, as any ref would in that situation.
He doesnt need to blow for the kick to be taken, just give a signal. In most cases in defensive free kicks, if they just want to 'get on with it' then there is no need to blow.
The one occasion they will insist on the whistle is on 'ceremonial' ones outside the box, when the attacking team is asked wether they want 10yrds or a quick one. If its a quick one then the ref will back away, if 10yrds he will raise hius whistle to indicate the whistle will be blown.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 01:07:15 AM »
Great 'You are The Ref' summary there.

Personally, I think the decision stinks. Ref not even looking and a blatant piece of gamesmanship by Liverpool. If it happened the other way round, I think the ref would have struggled to get out of Merseyside.

I'm also amazed that this referee is taking control of Premier League fixtures seeing he was responsible for the 'ghost goal' at Watford last season.

Lets see what happens when he take charge of a game at Villa Park. I'll wager he'll be the main talking point in the post match thread.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010, 01:08:17 AM »

Personally, I think the decision stinks. Ref not even looking and a blatant piece of gamesmanship by Liverpool. If it happened the other way round, I think the ref would have struggled to get out of Merseyside.

I'm also amazed that this referee is taking control of Premier League fixtures seeing he was responsible for the 'ghost goal' at Watford last season.

Lets see what happens when he take charge of a game at Villa Park. I'll wager he'll be the main talking point in the post match thread.

And if we score a goal like that every one of us will say well done ref.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2010, 01:17:26 AM »

And if we score a goal like that every one of us will say well done ref.

And well done to the players for their quick thinking.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 01:20:03 AM »
The only thing that I can see that's wrong with it is that Liverpool benefitted from it.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 01:22:06 AM »
Exactly. Now, the incident Dave Cooper and I witnessed today. Keeper goes up for a ball with a forward, drops it, lands awkwardly. He's lying on the ground, opponent taps the ball into the net before the ref can stop play. No foul, so the goal is rightly given. But if that was in the Premier League it would lead to a furore of "Shouldn't have been allowed/the ref is shit" remarks. Most of the time we say they've made a mistake because it's them who knows the laws, not us.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 01:23:10 AM »

Thank you Pete.
i think some are making more of it just because of who the ref was.
I can understand him not looking because he wanted to get into position for the kick being taken and launched towards the Liverpool area, and running forwards was the best way. His A/R saw it, and obviously informed him what had happened, hence the goal was allowed.
As i have tried to point out, once the Sunderland player kicks the ball, and the ball moves, then its in play. On this occasion, the Liverpool players were more awake then Sunderland.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2010, 01:35:49 AM »
Im also certain he has reffed us before.
The fact i nor you (pete) can remember, shows he did nothing wrong. Its a fact, supporters only remember a ref when he has a bad game (in their opinion), not the games when he has a good game.
I did a cup game, at a team near me 4yrs ago, and the home team lost. It was a feisty game, and i sent a home team player off. I got slated by the home team, but praised by the away side.
I went back and did another 4 games in the league at that club, that all passed without incident, but every time i went back, the pre-match remarks from the supporters, were 'its that wanker from that cup game'.
Thats the only game they remembered.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2010, 01:42:20 AM »
Atwell's made a rod for his own back by allowing it.

As soon as he sees that Liverpool are playing on while the Sunderland players laugh at their presumptuousness he has plenty of time to blow his whistle and brought play back - and nobody would have even batted an eyelid, let alone be discussing it on ever forum and phone-in across the land.

Best of luck to him, he's going to need it if he's sticking to professional refereeing as a career.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2010, 01:49:19 AM »
Atwell's made a rod for his own back by allowing it.

As soon as he sees that Liverpool are playing on while the Sunderland players laugh at their presumptuousness he has plenty of time to blow his whistle and brought play back - and nobody would have even batted an eyelid, let alone be discussing it on ever forum and phone-in across the land.

Best of luck to him, he's going to need it if he's sticking to professional refereeing as a career.

Dave. He couldnt disallow it. Read my previous posts.
His job as a ref is to apply the Laws of the game, and in this case he did. A goal can only be disallowed for an infringement, and there wasnt one. The Sunderland player kicked the ball, and it moved, therefore it was in play.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal