collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa: Liverpool's goal today  (Read 33604 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: 0% Villa: Liverpool's goal today
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
Yes, we all know about the ghost goal and all of the other bad decisions that every referee makes and which TV will point out time and again whilst not bothering to ever point out all the good decisions or highlighting the mistakes made by players to anywhere near the same extent.
Atwell isn't the best ref, but he's a fucking sight better than the numpties we see down Tamworth, and I don't slag them off after games either (can't say the same during of course!) because I know they are a damn sight better then those reffing Midland Alliance games, who in turn are better than those in the Birmingham AFA, etc. etc.

The only way to remove refereeing mistakes from the game is to embrace video technology wholesale, want to go down that route?

Offline davevillan

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »

Stuart Attwell refereed his first professional match in 2007/8. He was given one of the play-off finals that season and started refereeing PL the following season. He hasn't served a 15 year apprenticeship.

He was around in The Conference and slightly lower non-league levels in 2002, I have a programme from Tamworth v Chelmsford in 2002 and he's the ref, (sorry to be an anorak but I was tidying up my collection yesterday and noticed his name!), it says in the programme that he had refereed Conference matches.
So maybe not 15 years but he's come up through the ranks.
He does seem to have been fast-tracked though, maybe it is a case of him knowing all the laws of the game but not having quite enough experience to apply common sense all the time?
All refs start off doing the local parks games, then they progress up the ladder. First its as an A/R on local supply league, then when promoted to level 5, they can take the level 4 fitness test, which allows them to be level 4.
Level 4 ref local supply league & A/R on the contrib league( Conf south/nth, ryman, southern, northern etc)
Then if marks at supply league level are gd enough, promoted to level 3. these marks are a combination of club and assesor marks. Both must be in the top bracket. level 3 is dependant on passing a stricter fitness test.
Level 3 ref contrib league and run the line on the panel (conf national, prem reserve, football comabination)
Their marks at level 2 will then get them promoted to football league line, and if good enough level 2 which is panel middle.
Then if good enough, promoted to football league middle, then if gd enough at FL finally promoted to prem middle (elite list).
To get that far, requires a lot of dedication, onceat level 4 you are dealing with semi-pro football.
I know guys who are football league line, who have to train/ do a warm down on a sunday etc.  They have heart monitors and have to send the info to the FL to show they are training properly.
To get to Prem middle, you are looking at working your way up the different leagues, which is prob about 8/10 yrs.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »

Stuart Attwell refereed his first professional match in 2007/8. He was given one of the play-off finals that season and started refereeing PL the following season. He hasn't served a 15 year apprenticeship.

He was around in The Conference and slightly lower non-league levels in 2002, I have a programme from Tamworth v Chelmsford in 2002 and he's the ref, (sorry to be an anorak but I was tidying up my collection yesterday and noticed his name!), it says in the programme that he had refereed Conference matches.
He does seem to have been fast-tracked though, maybe it is a case of him knowing all the laws of the game but not having quite enough experience to apply common sense all the time?
All refs start off doing the local parks games, then they progress up the ladder. First its as an A/R on local supply league, then when promoted to level 5, they can take the level 4 fitness test, which allows them to be level 4.
Level 4 ref local supply league & A/R on the contrib league( Conf south/nth, ryman, southern, northern etc)
Then if marks at supply league level are gd enough, promoted to level 3. these marks are a combination of club and assesor marks. Both must be in the top bracket. level 3 is dependant on passing a stricter fitness test.
Level 3 ref contrib league and run the line on the panel (conf national, prem reserve, football comabination)
Their marks at level 2 will then get them promoted to football league line, and if good enough level 2 which is panel middle.
Then if good enough, promoted to football league middle, then if gd enough at FL finally promoted to prem middle (elite list).
To get that far, requires a lot of dedication, onceat level 4 you are dealing with semi-pro football.
I know guys who are football league line, who have to train/ do a warm down on a sunday etc.  They have heart monitors and have to send the info to the FL to show they are training properly.
To get to Prem middle, you are looking at working your way up the different leagues, which is prob about 8/10 yrs.

So how did Stuart Attwell go from never having ref'd a league game to the FIFA international list in 12 months and less than 40 games?

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
Yes, we all know about the ghost goal and all of the other bad decisions that every referee makes and which TV will point out time and again whilst not bothering to ever point out all the good decisions or highlighting the mistakes made by players to anywhere near the same extent.

Yes, TV do highlight the mistakes. But that was an atrocious one from both the linesman and ref which if most people had made a mistake like that within their profession would have cost jobs. The linesman totally forgot who was the attacking and defending team and saw the ball cross the line, claims made by players and gives a goal. At least you can excuse him on the perspective angle as he might have thought it happened within the goal. The ref could obviously see from his angle that there was no point within the move the ball went in between the sticks. Yet instead of discussing it with his linesman ( like the phantom penalty us v Hull or even the Liverpool goal), he gave the goal.

He might know the rules of the game but he just does not seem to have the common-sense that most refs get with experience due to him being fast tracked up the league. Yes fans always gripe at referees, that is part of football but when both managers in the match have ago then you can guess the ref had a poor game. This has happened at least four times with Atwell including abroad as well.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2010, 09:30:10 PM »
It's fairly safe to say that there is more chance of me buying the next Ufucking2 album than me being 'fast tracked' beyond Under 8's football.

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2010, 12:51:18 AM »
Liverpool is flirting with relegation! 

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2010, 02:48:58 PM »

So how did Stuart Attwell go from never having ref'd a league game to the FIFA international list in 12 months and less than 40 games?

Fast tracked.

Ref World

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal