collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sid Cowans interview  (Read 16713 times)

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
Sid Cowans interview
« on: September 25, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »
From Birmingham Mail

Gordon Cowans on how life is changing now Gerard Houllier has arrived

AS ASTON Villa’s ultimate pass master, it’s no surprise Gordon Cowans has been entrusted with improving the claret and blues’ ability to keep the ball.

Cowans, more than any other player in the club’s rich history, was an expert at finding a team-mate during his celebrated glory days patrolling Villa’s midfield.

So when Gerard Houllier came to recruit a first team coach capable of preaching his philosophy of possession football ‘Sid’ was the obvious choice.

Especially when his claret and blue credentials also include a First Division championship medal, a European Cup winners’ gong and more than 450 appearances in three playing spells.

Humble clubman that he is, Cowans modestly shrugs off his legendary status at Villa and describes his promotion from his role as under-16s coach to the senior set-up as a “privilege”.

The 51-year-old former midfield maestro has never had any problems keeping his feet on the ground – now he is revelling in encouraging the club’s current crop of stars to keep the ball on the ground.

“I have been working with them a few days now and the ideas are totally different,” said Cowans.

“Training is different to what we were doing under Kevin. Mr Houllier has brought his own ideas in – a lot of it is about possession – keeping the ball. If you look at the foreign players, you can see why they are so good at keeping possession of the ball. That is critical.

“Just look at the top English sides like Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea, they all keep the ball so well. It is a massive change and whenever you bring a new manager into a football club everyone wants to make a good impression with him. Everyone wants to do well and get in the team, of course.”

Cowans, whose first Premier League match in the dugout with Houllier will be against former club Wolves tomorrow, has been impressed with how Villa’s players have responded to the new regime.

“The players are very good,” he said. “You only realise that when you work with them day-in and day-out, which I have been doing for a while now. There are some very good players here. Their attitude is spot on – each and every one of them. They put a shift in when they have been asked to do. Whatever they have been asked to do, they have got on with it and done it. It’s been refreshing.

“I know lads like Marc Albrighton, Gabby Agbonlahor and Nathan Delfouneso very well from the youth level and what they are capable of doing. There’s plenty of quality.”

Cowans first came to Villa from his native County Durham as a young boy in 1969 and four decades on his love for the claret and blue burns as brightly as ever.

On top of the league title in 1981 and European glory in 1982, Cowans also tasted League Cup glory in 1977 and won the European Super Cup with Villa in 1983.

“First and foremost, I feel privileged to be doing the job I am now doing,” said Cowans. “I am delighted I have the opportunity to do it. I was told I needed to put my name forward, I did that and fortunately I got the job. I am absolutely delighted to be where I am.

“I first came to the club when I was 10-years-old so I have had an affinity from that age. I have come through the ranks and achieved things with the club.

“The supporters too are absolutely fantastic at this football club, whether it’s home or away they get right behind the team. They play a big part in it as well.”

Cowans is part of a new backroom team which also includes assistant boss Gary McAllister, goalkeeping coach Rafael Gonzalez and fitness guru Robert Duverne.

“Gary will be a really good asset for this football club,” he said. “He was a very experienced player – a very good footballer – and has experience as a manager too so he will bring a lot to the club.

“Even watching him in the first few training sessions, he’s been involved and been very good – he comes across very well to the lads.

“Rafa is a very good goalkeeping coach. He’s only been with us for a few years but you look at some of the exercises he’s brought in to the goalkeepers and the lads love working with him.

“You need to have good characters, you need personality and banter because you’ll get plenty back off the lads. I think I have learnt from people who have worked within this club.

“We have had some good young lads come through the system and these have now matured and are now on the fringes and actually in the first team.”

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Sid Cowans interview
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
Sounds encouraging, learning how to keep the ball is something we desperately need to do.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
I can't believe he's 51.

I remember seeing him play when I was 10/11 years old in the 89/90 season.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »
Legend

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 02:23:13 PM »
Yes, I still have not manage to find a better passer than Gordon Sidney Cowans. Wherever he play for Real Madrid, Barcelona or Brazil. He is like two feeted  David Beckham without hollywood stuff.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
Its fantastic to have Sid in this role. Very deserved .  Im looking forward to what Macca and Sid can bring to the party..    I loved Sid when I was growing up supporting Villa, like probably everyone on here who was there at that time....  As above  LEGEND

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »

“I have been working with them a few days now and the ideas are totally different,” said Cowans.

“Training is different to what we were doing under Kevin. Mr Houllier has brought his own ideas in – a lot of it is about possession – keeping the ball. If you look at the foreign players, you can see why they are so good at keeping possession of the ball. That is critical.

Whilst I expect there to be a lot of hyperbole and positive propaganda coming out of the club now that there is a new team in charge but is anyone surprised by these comments from Sid?

Surely the old regime must have encouraged and trained towards keeping possession.  I'm not saying that they shouldn't also learn a more direct game but possession and being comfortable on the ball is probably the most important thing in football.

It strikes me that the philosophies of the youth and reserve coaches was completely at odds with the first team.  I hope this is something Houllier corrects.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:24:32 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline bob

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »
I think there were rumours from way back that we did very little ball work in training.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 04:33:47 PM »
Thank God. I could hardly believe how little we wanted the ball under MON at times. It appears this is now being sorted at last.

I heard that MON basically did fitness training and practice matches. That's Sunday league standard training.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
I don't think ball retention was a priority before, we were happy to surrender posession then hit teams on the break. As for Gordan Cowans, the London press should have taken their heads out of Hoddles backside long enough to notice Sid. Could pass every bit as good as Hoddle and Iv'e never seen a bloke so thin you thought he might snap tackle so hard and well as Sid did. Hoddle got the caps, Sid got the highest medals you can get at club level. Even David Platt, who isn't the most modest bloke in the world admits he was in awe of Sid's ability.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 05:36:57 PM »
Gordan Cowans.  Along with Paul McGrath, the finest player I have ever seen in my time as a Villa fan (and I include opposition players in that, too!) As much as I was in awe of Sid's passing and sheer artistry in striking a ball, it was his tackling that constantly amazed me, always crisp and clean for want of better words.  Just a great, great player.

Offline jembob

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
Gordan Cowans.  Along with Paul McGrath, the finest player I have ever seen in my time as a Villa fan (and I include opposition players in that, too!) As much as I was in awe of Sid's passing and sheer artistry in striking a ball, it was his tackling that constantly amazed me, always crisp and clean for want of better words.  Just a great, great player.

Billy, I agree about his tackling particularly as he had such skinny legs that looked so frail. I must say that I'm delighted with much of what he has to say about possession, as we desperately need to introduce that into our game. It also pisses me off somewhat that this side of our game has been so badly neglected in recent years. It was obvious to all who saw us play that this was not a facet of the game that was encouraged but to hear a coach confirming that we didn't work on possession just makes me wonder what went through the minds of MON and his staff - just as well he took them all with him and we can get some proper coaches involved.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »
He his a legend i am glad we have got him on board.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 07:30:21 PM »
A highly respected coach too so it seems.
Some CV and a Legend, a real Legend to boot.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
We Villa fans all knew what a top player Sid was from the late 1970s through the 1980s but the ignorant media were always drooling over the passing skills of Glenn Hoddle or the tackling ability of Bryan Robson. I used to tell anyone who'd listen that Sid was a better all round player than either of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal