collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Craig Gargoyle on his little brother  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Karl Bridges

Craig Gargoyle on his little brother
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »
Good to hear he is near to being back.

Birmingham City's Craig Gardner admits he would love to play alongside Aston Villa rising star and sibling Gary again

Sep 25 2010 by Colin Tattum, Birmingham Mail

CRAIG Gardner has admitted he dreams of playing against his brother Gary, or even in the same team.

That could prove highly interesting – as Gary is an emerging star at Blues’ rivals Villa.

He is currently battling back from a knee cruciate ligament injury sustained when Craig was completing his £3.5 million transfer from Villa to St Andrew’s.

“It would be nice for him to make the same grade, to play a few games this season,” said Craig.

“If I played against him it would be brilliant. If I played with him it would be even better.”

So was Craig trying to suggest he should follow his path across the Birmingham divide?

“I’m not trying to do that, no!” stressed Craig, who was an occasional team-mate of his 18-year-old younger sibling in Villa’s reserve side.

Gary was capable of breaking into the Villa first-team picture, Craig said, and is highly thought of at Villa Park.

“If you have got the dedication my brother’s got, and the talent, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.

“He got his injury the same day I was signing.

“Funny enough, he did it against the Blues, in an under-18 game at Bodymoor Heath.

“He had just scored – he loves a goal as well – and it was a weird kind of tackle. He just turned and went down.He got up and walked off and after he had the scans it was found out how bad it was.

“I was gutted, it made me shed a few tears to be honest because I know how stressful football is.

“But he’s back on a high now. He’s six to eight weeks away from training.

“He’s a top-class lad and how positive he has been throughout this whole thing has amazed me.

“His fitness levels are really high and I just can’t wait until he gets back playing and shows everybody what he can do.”

Inter Milan manager Rafa Benitez has reportedly been keeping tabs on Gary, who like Craig is a midfielder.

“I saw that in the paper,” said Craig. “I’m not sure if it’s true or not. But if it was true it wouldn’t surprise me because he’s a top-quality player.

“Even at a young age you could tell. You’d see him and think ‘how did he do that?’. It’s his technique, the way he passes the ball – right or left foot – he’s a quality player and it’s only a matter of time until he starts playing regularly.”

As for Craig’s take on the events at his former club, he said: “I’m at Blues now. Whatever happens at Villa happens. I don’t really want to comment on that.

“They have got a proven manager in Gerard Houllier.

“Kevin MacDonald was good enough to have got the job. Kev was brilliant when I was there, in the reserves, absolutely unbelievable.

“But they have got a manager now and we will see what happens.”

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2010/09/25/birmingham-city-s-craig-gardner-admits-he-would-love-to-play-alongside-aston-villa-rising-star-and-sibling-gary-again-97319-27338772/#ixzz10WqvSLJT
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:27:03 AM by Karl Bridges »

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
Re: Craig Gargoyle on his little brother
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »
whenever i have seen him, he looks like an absolutely sensational all round midfielder...

can pass, shoot, tackle, works his arse off and has great movement...

i hope he can come back as the same player... same with delph... there is an interesting potential midfield partnership with those two, full of energy, pace, tenacity and ability...

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:31:01 AM »
Never seen the guy play, but presumably if he's 18 a few first team chances can't be too far away once fit again, if he's as good as people say?

Was he playing for the reserves much?

I don't like his name though. Gary Gardner just doesn't sound like a top footballer.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »
Strange interview that.  Usually there is some sort of agenda whenever a player is interviewed i.e. selling a product, promoting a cause or more frequently talking about a recent fixture.

In this case I cannot see why the interviewer would ask the question or indeed why Craig would want to bring it up.  If he was still at the club then I could understand it ("we don't need to buy anyone as our youth team is so good").

Anyway, just an observation like.

Craig talks as if Gary is the better player.  Lets hope he is right as I echo the comments about Garner and Delph.  If they fulfill their potential then it is an exciting prospect.

Offline supertom

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:35:42 PM »
I don't like his name though. Gary Gardner just doesn't sound like a top footballer.

If it was the 70's it would.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
Let hope he is big with Aston Villa as Gary Grant the hollywood movie legend in the 50s.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
Cary Grant?

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 09:48:43 PM »
I only know Gary Gardener as a myth, but if he's half as good as people reckon he is then we've got a hell of a player.

Offline jeowje

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 10:08:06 AM »
The inherrent problem with the modern game is that to be successful in the Premier League you have to be able to hold your own amongst the best players in the world in terms of ability, not merely the home-bred players... this is what Martin O'Neill couldnt seem to grasp, NRC being a classic example- Twenty years ago a player of his standard, whilst not quite being of England standard, could have probably held his own in a top side.

The game has movesd on, and to be useful in a top premiership side as an young prospect is a dauntingly tall order. It is, and has been, a world class standard for awhile now, for better or for worse.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 02:37:45 AM »

Neither does Wayne Rooney. If he turns out half as good he can be called whatever the chuff he wants.

Offline cdward

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 10:01:18 AM »

Surely his nickname must be Lady Ga Ga

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 10:09:08 AM »
Craig? Who?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »
The inherrent problem with the modern game is that to be successful in the Premier League you have to be able to hold your own amongst the best players in the world in terms of ability, not merely the home-bred players... this is what Martin O'Neill couldnt seem to grasp, NRC being a classic example- Twenty years ago a player of his standard, whilst not quite being of England standard, could have probably held his own in a top side.

The game has movesd on, and to be useful in a top premiership side as an young prospect is a dauntingly tall order. It is, and has been, a world class standard for awhile now, for better or for worse.

True.  But then the England players of the future, who at least in theory will be able to compete with the best in the world, are currently coming through someones youth system.  With out set up it's as likely to be with us as anyone.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 01:53:39 PM »

Surely his nickname must be Lady Ga Ga

Gaga and Gago in midfield.  It's got a ring to it however unlikely.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Watched him in a reserve friendly last year. He is class. 6ft 1 and has great feet. Scored a cracking goal as well. A real prospect. Thats why Benitez has shown some interest in him .....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal