collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Young's new central role  (Read 9605 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Young's new central role
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
The big problem is that we have 2 wingers (Albrighton and Downing), neither of whom deserve to be dropped, then Ireland who is an attacking midfielder.
If Ashley is going to play just behind the striker, there is no room for Ireland unless he can be converted into a holding midfielder and that is unlikely.

Still, nice to have some options.

Agreed, although I don't think it would hurt to give Albrighton a rest - this is all new to him so taking the pressure off for a week or two will do him no harm. Ireland as an impact player from the bench might be the best bet at the moment.
You are right about Albrighton, the last thing we want to do is overplay him.
Roll on January and we might get a couple of new faces in to give us more options, holding midfielder wise.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 11:29:26 AM »
You can't play Ireland and Young both in central free roles and literally no-one on the right. Luke Young would get crucified and we would lack shape.

Asking Ireland to start from a right hand side position and come inside, a bit like berger did on the left, is an option, but he wouldn't like it.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »
---NRC---Petrov---Sidwell---
-------Young---Ireland--------
-----------Agbonlahor---------

Could this  be the Villa narrow boat slamming  into PL icebergs?

Offline olaftab

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 11:49:53 AM »
If we  accept that Young  playing central with Heskey  could be a success for more than  1 game  than we have a major problem with the luggage that MON left us to use.   We do not have a strong midfield enforcer. We have too many wide players. What happens when Delph returns? How does Ireland fit in? How  do we find an effecive long term partner for Young? We  will still need a prolific goal scorer in the forward most position not just a  so called defensive striker.
We need someone on 2m pounds a year salary with wide experience of European football to sort this out. Come  on Rene .... this  is made for you. :) :)

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »

Could this  be the Villa narrow boat slamming  into PL icebergs?

Why'd you say that? When we play with wingers, it's Downing on the left who's soft as shit. Defensively, he may as well not be there, so there's a straight line through to Warnock (coincidence that he's looked shit with Downing in front of him?). In this system, there's still a left-sided defensive midfielder to deal with. He'll (hopefully) give Warnock the cover he needs to prevent him being pulled all over the pitch).

On the other side there's Albrighton who has been found lacking with his defensive positioning. However, I've no doubt he'll learn...fast!

The flexibility that Rancid Custard has demonstrated should provide Houllier with enough options to counter just about any opposition formation you'd care to mention.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 12:30:47 PM »
Troy I am not necessarily  negative of VSM's suggestion...it is just a question. It could turn out to be a an ice cutter   solid, stable but sharp upfront. I do agree with  your comments about Downing/Warnock waekness.

Offline Dan England

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
You can't play Ireland and Young both in central free roles and literally no-one on the right. Luke Young would get crucified and we would lack shape.

Asking Ireland to start from a right hand side position and come inside, a bit like berger did on the left, is an option, but he wouldn't like it.

Why wouldn't he like it?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »

Hang on a minute my Subby buddy. Even from half the world away, surely you know by now that NRC and Sid just aren't up to Prem standards

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 02:28:13 PM »
If Barry Bannan improve and keep up the good work I would like to see a midfield

Albrighton Reo Coker Downing/Bannan
Young Ireland

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »
You've got to look, at the moment, at a fluid 4-2-3-1 with Petrov and NRC holding and an attacking trio of Ireland, Young and Albrighton/Downing/Bannan (I'd probably go with Albrighton) behind Gabby/Heskey/Carew (I'd definitely go with Gabby). It's good to have a squad, it's good to have good players on the bench, it's good to be able to rotate, to bring in players better suited to certain games around a solid base and spine to the team, and above all it's good to have players with the intelligence to interchange positions from wide, to central, to the other wing, whatever. I feel quite good about this team.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 03:45:17 PM »
I think in order for that formation to work, then you need mobility up top, which counts Carew out.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »
I'd go with something like this (ignoring the defence and GK):

-----------------NRC----Petrov---------------

----Albrighton---Ireland----Young----------

--------------------Gabby----------------------

Okay, as that is written down it completely ignores Houllier's comments however I feel the solid base provided by Petrov and NRC would allow all three attacking players to interchange during the game.  This would make the players harder to mark and also create a bit of competition between Ireland and Young when they're playing the hollywood central role.

With Downing and Bannan there should also be the opportunity to rest players as well.

Offline eastie

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
If heskey could keep playing as he did on weds then I'd go with him as the main striker as his link up play is better than Carew or gabby- the downside is none of those 3 are prolific finishers and that is something we've lacked for many years.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2010, 05:41:59 PM »
I'd go with something like this (ignoring the defence and GK):

-----------------NRC----Petrov---------------

----Albrighton---Ireland----Young----------

--------------------Gabby----------------------

Okay, as that is written down it completely ignores Houllier's comments however I feel the solid base provided by Petrov and NRC would allow all three attacking players to interchange during the game.  This would make the players harder to mark and also create a bit of competition between Ireland and Young when they're playing the hollywood central role.

With Downing and Bannan there should also be the opportunity to rest players as well.

I agree with that, Dante. Ireland and Young are intelligent enough players not to think "I'm a left winger, therefore I never leave the touchline" or "I'm a central midfielder, therefore I never leave the middle". One thing you noticed under MON was how players were totally pinned into their specific areas of the pitch, and we got oh so predictable.

East, if Heskey does start producing that form on a regular basis, he has to be a strong contendor for the first team. I'm also coming around to your "one out-and-out winger" idea, with Ash/Ireland playing more as inside forwards.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »
I still don't think Young does enough in the free role imo, certainly no more than Ireland would imo.

Would say prefer Young out wide with licence to drift into the box when we cross from the right as happened on wednesday night.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal