collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young willing to sign a new contract.  (Read 25980 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Ashley Young willing to sign a new contract.
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 09:01:56 PM »
I admit it is a double edged sword but if Young was tapped up we'd be able to buy a replacement, possibly two with the extra cash.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't offer him a contract, far from it.  I'm just saying we should not bow down to whatever he demands (and I'm sure we won't) as I think the power that footballers currently have will diminish over the next few years because there is less cash in the game.

Players like Ashley Young don't come around every day, so if he says he wants to stay we should be building a team around him to help him flourish. We need to sign players that are excellent in their own right so he's left to do what he does best. I'm sure this isn't lost on the club and the new management.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:55:34 PM by toronto villa »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 09:22:39 PM »
Players like Ashley Young don't come around every day, so if he says he wants to stay we should be building a team around him to help him flourish. We need to sign players that are excellent in their own right so he's left to do what he does best. I'm sure this isn't lost on the club and the new management.

A players value is finite though.  Young saying he wants to sign a new contract is great but how much does he want to get paid?  At what point would you say "sorry Ash, that's too much".

I have no justification but I just get the impression that Young will be asking stupid money, as he knows he is Villa's biggest asset having lost Barry and Milner in the past two seasons. 

I think they might be empty words basically.   Possibly even pricing villa out if the negotiations so he can justify a move in the summer.

I hope I am wrong and he signs a long term deal on similar money to what he is on now.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:42:18 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 10:36:44 PM »
quote author=Dante Lavelli link=topic=40372.msg1590965#msg1590965 date=1285359759]
I think they might be empty words basically.   Possibly even pricing villa out if the negotiations so he can justify a move in the summer.
[/quote]

Wow.  Cynical stuff there Dante.  How Ash stating that he wants to stay could be construed like that I have no idea.  I think he just wants to be settled and we should give him the contract he deserves.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:38:42 PM by Holtenderinthesky »

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
At this delicate time to keep Ash on board is crucial. We still can keep on track this season, so come Jan we could bring in a couple of players who see a team moving forward. If he was still being touted as a possible "target" for some other club. We would start to look like a team on the rocks ....

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 11:58:01 PM »

A players value is finite though.  Young saying he wants to sign a new contract is great but how much does he want to get paid?  At what point would you say "sorry Ash, that's too much".

I have no justification but I just get the impression that Young will be asking stupid money, as he knows he is Villa's biggest asset having lost Barry and Milner in the past two seasons. 

I hope I am wrong and he signs a long term deal on similar money to what he is on now.

He deserves to be paid according to his value in the market. I'm glad we have a top player on our books and I want many more. He saying he wants to stay and you're being critical and cynical. Slam the player when they openly want away, but give the fella a break for stating his loyalty in public. I hope you retract your cynicism if he signs up.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »
Yes I am being cynical (not sure about the critical bit - I think he is a very good player) but it hardly as if I am at Villa Park booing him is it just voicing an opinion on the web and highlighting that his position of negotiation is now a lot stronger so he could ask for silly money.

Houllier said the other day that the negotiations with Young had been "positive".  This suggests that I am wrong.  Again, I hope this is the case but for me the long term health of the club is more important than any one player. 

Offline jembob

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 08:33:15 PM »
Dante Lavelli = The new Greg Nash.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »
Honestly, I'm not always like this.  It's just strikes me as being a bit convenient that's all, or more to the point if I was Young I would be using the situation to my advantage.

Anyway, as I have already committed to being the arse of this thread, I'll jump in two footed and risk losing more friends.  I have another conspiracy theory about Young:

I think that over the summer Young rather than angling for a move he has negotiated that he gets to play more centrally.  I don't think Houllier was aware of this agreement and hence his 180 degree change of opinion about where Young's best position is.

Completely unfounded and not backed up by any evidence but that's my hunch.

What is it about Young that makes me completely not trust him? 
Does that fact that he is prone to exaggerating contact in the tackle mean that his entire personality is flawed! 

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong as Villa (and football generally) needs more good guys that are genuinely loyal to their club and not just after the money or fame. 

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »

The Gnasher, his work here done, has been returned to his Homeworld in Galaxy Three for repairs. Have no doubt that should the forces of evil ever again threaten the Villa he will, like a latter-day King Arthur, return to vanquish our foes.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
I think Ash knows that he could become an all time Villa legend here, and that drives his ego accordingly. Hence his eagerness to sign a new long term contract.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »
The word 'willing' in that headline pisses me off. It's made to sound like he doesn't really want to stay but he's prepared to stay and do us a favour. Fucking press.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »
Honestly, I'm not always like this.  It's just strikes me as being a bit convenient that's all, or more to the point if I was Young I would be using the situation to my advantage.

Anyway, as I have already committed to being the arse of this thread, I'll jump in two footed and risk losing more friends.  I have another conspiracy theory about Young:

I think that over the summer Young rather than angling for a move he has negotiated that he gets to play more centrally.  I don't think Houllier was aware of this agreement and hence his 180 degree change of opinion about where Young's best position is.

Completely unfounded and not backed up by any evidence but that's my hunch.

What is it about Young that makes me completely not trust him? 
Does that fact that he is prone to exaggerating contact in the tackle mean that his entire personality is flawed! 

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong as Villa (and football generally) needs more good guys that are genuinely loyal to their club and not just after the money or fame. 

I know where you're coming from chap, it's just modern football. I hope Ash is different, but we'll soon see.

Player says he hopes to work something out as he'd like to stay and you immediately think he's working the situation to his advantage. Particularly as he's sitting on a pretty lucrative contact as it is.

I hope he stays too, but my immediate thought was if he asks for crazy money or a release clause and we don't play ball he can make out that we've somehow let him down.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2010, 07:13:48 PM »
He was superb again today - we need to get him on a new contract to protect ourselves, as much as anything else.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »

Is the old one still on here?

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 08:34:38 AM »
If he knows he can get £70k or more a week in London, why is it a crime for him to be asking us for the same ?

If we're going to take steps forward as a club, we have to pay the likes of Ash the going rate or we'll be an 'also ran' club forever and ever,amen.

PS. Why are footballers salaries still talked of in weekly terms ?
No other profession does this anymore !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal