collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:41:18 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by paul_e
[Today at 11:40:14 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 11:35:16 AM]

NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 11:33:19 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:50:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Blackburn match goals.  (Read 9484 times)

Offline dutchvilla

Re: Blackburn match goals.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 01:28:49 PM »
if you're not in the Uk and / or cannot access BBC iPlayer, you can see the goals here:
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/aston-villa-blackburn-6962297/

Offline Desi

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 01:36:04 PM »
Thanks for that.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 03:26:42 PM »
I love this kind of stuff. Gives me a real tingle down the spine to see a connection to the past and wondering if people will watch last night's highlights in 100 years...that's why this is the greatest club in the world.

I get the same feeling when I realise I have stood on that terrace.

I get a similar thing at matches now, looking at that rectangle of grass, thinking how many times I've stood there watching it, and how my ancestors did the same right back to the day we moved there pretty much.

I don't want to get too sentimental but this is one of the reasons that people who don't follow a team don't understand what the little things like that mean to fans. It's not just about the game that day, it's about being a part of something you know will always be bigger than yourself. Climbing the Holte last night I looked up at the fascia and the stained glass windows and I just thought 'Is there another stand in the country that looks as good?' And coming out afterwards, walking up Witton Lane through the crowds with the floodlights gleaming...well, it never fails to blow me away.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »
I love this kind of stuff. Gives me a real tingle down the spine to see a connection to the past and wondering if people will watch last night's highlights in 100 years...that's why this is the greatest club in the world.

I get a similar thing at matches now, looking at that rectangle of grass, thinking how many times I've stood there watching it, and how my ancestors did the same right back to the day we moved there pretty much.

I don't want to get too sentimental but this is one of the reasons that people who don't follow a team don't understand what the little things like that mean to fans. It's not just about the game that day, it's about being a part of something you know will always be bigger than yourself. Climbing the Holte last night I looked up at the fascia and the stained glass windows and I just thought 'Is there another stand in the country that looks as good?' And coming out afterwards, walking up Witton Lane through the crowds with the floodlights gleaming...well, it never fails to blow me away.

Absolutely.

I'd also add the old A V floodlights, which would be at the top if I had to list the strongest mental images of my childhood. I wish we still had them.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »

Absolutely.

I'd also add the old A V floodlights, which would be at the top if I had to list the strongest mental images of my childhood. I wish we still had them.

Last season when we played Brighton, I decided to go a bit posh because the tickets were cheap and go in the Witton Lane Upper. I've been to stacks of Villa games but I got a massive sense of deja vu sitting where I did right up in the corner. Straight away I recognised why - it was where I sat for my first ever Villa game. I'd never sat there again in the twenty-odd years I'd been coming to Villa Park and to see the game from the exact same view as I did all those years before was magic.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »

Every time I saw them it was like Christmas morning. Funny how your pleasures become less intense as you get older, but the memories of childhood highs are so strong you can taste them

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
I find myself looking around me during a game sometimes and thinking, "I really love this place".

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »
From the ancient to the modern. Perhaps this isn't the right thread but here goes. As I've said before on here my old Dad was born in Manor Road Witton a stones throw from the North Stand. Well at the recent Everton home game my son Peter introduced my eldest grandson Sam aged five to his first match and visit to the home of everything that is important in football, thus becoming at least the fourth generation of Shelley Villa fans. I say fourth he could possibly be the fifth as I'm not sure about my Grandfather who I think could have been alive when Villa were founded. I would love to share the photo's Pete sent to me of the occasion but I don't have the skills to forward them. Suffice to say they brought tears to my eyes, I wish I could have been there with them. Anyway Sam welcome to the roller coaster ride that is following Aston Villa.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »
Last season when we played Brighton, I decided to go a bit posh because the tickets were cheap and go in the Witton Lane Upper. I've been to stacks of Villa games but I got a massive sense of deja vu sitting where I did right up in the corner. Straight away I recognised why - it was where I sat for my first ever Villa game. I'd never sat there again in the twenty-odd years I'd been coming to Villa Park and to see the game from the exact same view as I did all those years before was magic.

When my dad first started taking me - mid 70s - we'd go in the old witton lane, and the memory which really stuck with me was of walking to the top of the stairs and seeing the pitch in front of me, I vividly remember it seeming absolutely bright green and really enormous.

Offline burtonreferees

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »
I can't help but piss myself laughing at this kind of footage...just reminds me of the Harry Enfield sketch when the "old Liverpool" played the "new team". All smoking pipes and all ten outfield players chasing the ball !!

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 06:23:43 PM »
Nice one Dutchvilla, thanks for putting the goals on!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
Great clip. Thanks. I love this sort of thing.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
There are times when I think going to the Villa is a chore, but that feeling always goes as quick as it came.  It is a privilege to go to Villa Park as often as I do and I am so lucky that Aston Villa is my team.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 11:59:25 PM »
There are times when I think going to the Villa is a chore, but that feeling always goes as quick as it came.  It is a privilege to go to Villa Park as often as I do and I am so lucky that Aston Villa is my team.

Amen to that.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 03:39:32 AM »

Amen to that.

Try moving away from 'home' - then every pilgrimage is sacred.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal