collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeS
[Today at 10:18:37 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 10:17:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Tayls_7
[Today at 10:17:21 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Nev
[Today at 10:13:27 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:10:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 10:07:38 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:04:14 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 10:03:16 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barry Bannan will he make it at top level  (Read 17056 times)

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Barry Bannan will he make it at top level
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 11:03:59 AM »
The same could be said of Sid when he came on the scene.  His slight frame and size didn't hinder his career one bit.  That doesn't mean that Bannan is going to make it but it could also mean he might kick on from where he is now, which I hope he can.

Recently a lot of our Youth team have been technically very good but not the biggest. Forester was another one. I do wonder if Sid is the reason for that as alot of prem clubs seem to reject kids if they are "too small for the Prem".

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »
As other have said, in the strong physical world of the Premier League, he would have to be exceptional to make it. I think he will just fall short but would love to be proved wrong as he has a lot of ability and confidence.

Just changing the subject, I was impressed with Lichaj - strong, pacey and prepared to support further up the pitch - one beautiful cut back for Bannan to run onto. I think we may have a player there and a decent back up for Young L (and the end of Carlos at right back).

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 11:16:35 AM »
He's probably been told he's too small and will never make it since he was kicking stones in the playground. He's managed so far to become a professional footballer, survive the physical challenge of a season in the Championship and looks perfectly capable of taking care of himself at our level. He's got a nice touch, can pass the ball and (after last night, when some didn't for a good hour) is always looking for the ball. Can't fault his attitude and I hope he has the talent to make it.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
If he was six foot and twelve stone I'd have absolutely no doubts about him. He's got a good touch, can pick a pass and a decent shot. He works hard and appears to read the game well but his size will make it more difficult. However, I think he's got a chance and he's got two coaches now who know his position inside out and who should be very good for his development.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 11:29:28 AM »
He's probably been told he's too small and will never make it since he was kicking stones in the playground. He's managed so far to become a professional footballer, survive the physical challenge of a season in the Championship and looks perfectly capable of taking care of himself at our level. He's got a nice touch, can pass the ball and (after last night, when some didn't for a good hour) is always looking for the ball. Can't fault his attitude and I hope he has the talent to make it.

Well said Steve.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »
As other have said, in the strong physical world of the Premier League, he would have to be exceptional to make it. I think he will just fall short but would love to be proved wrong as he has a lot of ability and confidence.

Just changing the subject, I was impressed with Lichaj - strong, pacey and prepared to support further up the pitch - one beautiful cut back for Bannan to run onto. I think we may have a player there and a decent back up for Young L (and the end of Carlos at right back).
i have never seen anything in lichaj that suggests to me that he is anything different to the likes of o'halloran... i think he will be utilised in the short term, but i dont expect a long term future for him at the villa...

Offline Merv

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:40:44 AM »
Paul Scholes is 5ft 7ins.

I just think, with Bannan's talents, there's a chance for him. He'll never go head to head with Michael Essien in a central midfield battle and win, but as an attacking midfield player, there's a role for him. Left side of midfield - not touchline-hugging left wing but a bit more central - or the left side of a midfield three, or even the top point of a midfield triangle, with the likes of NRC/Petrov/Sidwell behind him, he could do a good job. Quick feet, quick brain, great shot on him - Bannan's definitely got something.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 11:47:41 AM »
Arsenal seem to prefer a midfield of midgets,doesnt do them too bad. He is small,but he's got more bite than Downing,i know thats not saying much though,

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »
He may well make it at the highest level ....... but with football the way it is it wont be with us .....

he will have been snapped up by the likes of Chelsea or Man City

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »
I hope he makes it nice touch for the wee man.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »
Arsenal seem to prefer a midfield of midgets,doesnt do them too bad. He is small,but he's got more bite than Downing,i know thats not saying much though,

I was just thinking that. All of Arsenal's better players look like they'd smash if you pushed them off a low wall.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
He'll never go head to head with Michael Essien in a central midfield battle and win,

Is that the same Essien who according to todays papers was rejected by Fergie when he was on a trial with them as a teenager as he was too small.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 12:14:52 PM »
Xavi and Iniesta don't do to badly. If you good enough youre big enough

I'm not sure that comparing him to two of the best players in the world really helps the argument though.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Can't fault his attitude and I hope he has the talent to make it.
i really do too, as he has an amazing 'never say die' attitude...

i might have mentioned it on here before, but he is one of my standout memories from watching reserve football, when he constantly tried to outjump and out muscle, the much taller and much stronger, andre bikey, when competing for a header... it was priceless, and summed up the young lads commitment and attitude, watching the 16 year old kid who looked about 12, never giving up, despite not ever winning one of these challenges in the match...

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 12:25:15 PM »
Xavi and Iniesta don't do to badly. If you good enough youre big enough

I'm not sure that comparing him to two of the best players in the world really helps the argument though.

It's perfect. When using size as a limiting factor to how good a player can be, use two of the best as an example of why its aint neccessarily so.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal