collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barry Bannan will he make it at top level  (Read 17063 times)

Offline richardhubbard

Barry Bannan will he make it at top level
« on: September 23, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »
I have been really impressed with him in games I have seen him play being the blackburn and Rapid Vienna .

He is very small but has bundles of talent and I think he can make it in central midfield or on the left.

What do you think?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Barry Bannan will he make it at top level
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:24:46 AM »
He's too small to make it in central midfield, I think.

He was getting out muscled there last night, and it wasn't till he was switched wide that he started getting some joy - lots of it.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
No, not good enough, but will do okay at a lower level (see also Peter Whittingham)

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
Easily good enough, easily. He's very small though, probably too small. I think he'll make a decent Premier League player, not sure if it'll be for us though.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:28:32 AM »
With his size, he needs to be BRILLIANT to make it - see Zola.  If he has just moderate ability for PL level, his lack of physicality will count against him and he'll end up a Championship player.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »
To soon to tell im afraid, the short answer is yes he can BUT the long more realistic answer is only if he is willing to adapt his game hit the gym alittle harder and become so technically gifted that even if a 7ft brute hacks at him bhe can just evade it and distribute the ball clinically(see cesc) he is faced with bannans problem and so is ireland so im sure he will learn his way around it, I loved alan wright our beloved pocket sized left back lol, always remember him scoring a header cant think who against my have been shef in the cup or newcastle or everton. i seem to remember duncan furguson was ment to be marking him lol

Offline Mike Jeffries

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:33:10 AM »

Very noticeable how many deadballs, he was given last night I thought. 

As to your question, I don't know I really don't know - but I'd love him to do it and not just because he's a Villa player - Premier leauge football would be so much the better, for technique winning out over physical size and strength for once.   

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »
He has some good touches and passes well, not afraid to take a corner or free kick. He even had 2 good shots on goal, yes he is small but I think we should give him some time. One of many good young tallents emerging from the youth settup.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 10:39:51 AM »
He's definitely good enough. The physical side isn't as important as it used to be but if he learns to use his head where his body cannot compete, as other diminutive great players have done, he could be a very good player.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:56 AM »
Unfortunately there have been so many flase dawns as regards Villa kids becoming Villa legends that I wouldn't want to jinx the lad and say yay or nay. He's got the talent, the build will count against him (though there are plenty of little'uns that make the grade - hello, Messi!) so it's up to him now. Gabby piled on the muscle to finesse his game (he recognised, unlike the Moores, that the hard part isn't getting into the team but making a reason to stay there) and there will be limitations to Bannan's ability. If he works on them, it could end well.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 10:43:24 AM »
while he has great ability and attitude, i just feel his size will be a problem...

if he doesnt make it though, it wont be for the want of trying...

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 10:53:23 AM »
The same could be said of Sid when he came on the scene.  His slight frame and size didn't hinder his career one bit.  That doesn't mean that Bannan is going to make it but it could also mean he might kick on from where he is now, which I hope he can. 

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »
His size will be highlighted at the moment purely because we are a very lightweight side. Young, Albrighton, Gabby (although he's bulked up rather impressively), Warnock seems small too, Downing's not exactly in the heavy-weight division either.

If he has a big bruiser or a nasty bastard around (like a Viera type figure) that can fend off the thugs, lay the ball off to Bannan in open space, then he'll be a gem of a player.

Young used to get clattered loads but then we used to make the opposition pay for it in a big way. Until we can bring that aspect back to our game and give the other side a reason not to clobber him, he's simply going to have to learn to duck and weave and take the hits when they come.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »
I think he'll go to Celtic in the end and be a success with them.

He has ability in spades, but the Prem is such a tough place, it's more suited to better built and / or taller players sadly.

Offline Crabman

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 11:03:52 AM »
Xavi and Iniesta don't do to badly. If you good enough youre big enough

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal