collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The rebirth of Emile: Omen.  (Read 38003 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: The rebirth of Emile: Omen.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »
If you could "bottle" that motivation and get that kind of performance of our Emile every game you would have an excellent player - problem is he cannot seem to give that sort of performance often enough , but heres hoping that GH can get that out of him more often

If Emile produced like that every game he'd be up there with Drogba.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 09:51:31 AM »
Apparently there were two guys last night who were doubting this is an omen of Emie's revival.  Since last night, one of them has been sliced in half by a lift cable and the other one has been beheaded by a sheet of glass so it's looking promising.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »
I read a really article about Emile a couple of months back, just after he'd announced his retirement from international football. Can't remember the source, but it was online, so it was probably the Guardian.

Anyway, the jist of it was how Heskey had lost his way after buying in to all the 'unselfish, hard working, hold up play, doesn't score but doesn't matter, teammates rate him' mantra going round. How, in his Leicester days and a good part of his Liverpool career he was a lot more direct, more aggressive, played to scare defenders, running at them, causing problems. I thought the article was dead right. Over the years he just stopped doing those things. I remember thinking at the time - wouldn't it be great if he could rediscover that fire in his belly for the final chapter of his career?

We can dream, at least.

Quite interesting. 

I don't think he is, or ever has been, a 'natural' goal scorer, but if I were marking him I'd be happy with him dropping deep and trying to link things as opposed to playing on the shoulder where his power and (now fading) pace would be a handful.

More to come from him?  Yes, although who knows if we'll ever see it.  Regular goal scorer?  No.  I think the 23 in one season was the fluke/one off and if he breaks double figures this season I'd be delighted!   

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »
What's a sensai?

According to Google, it's a Japanese skincare product.

There's no doubt that when Emile is up for it he is a real handful. Unfortunately, his confidence is so fragile that he all too rarely does seem up for it. Let's hope GH can motivate him a little better.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »
A long way to go before he'll get the majority on side, but if he continues last night's performance over a more extended period he may just get there. I remain unconvinced that he can, but it's a perfect start for him under GH

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
You could see how the change affected Ashley Young almost immediately, and it wasn't just a case of getting a few more nod-downs. Young was visibly pumped up after the equaliser, much more vocal and much scarier to the Blackburn defence. In the last couple of games, playing with Gabby and Carew just hasn't done it for him but whatever Heskey represented  (strength? power? fear?) to him made a hell of a lot of difference. The Ashley Young of the first half would have never connected with that ball for his header.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »
A very good display after replacing the inept John Carew.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »
And I heard
As it were
A voice of thunder
One of the Holte End saying `Look and see'
And I saw
And behold
Emile scored

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
A plus point if Heskey discovers some form is that Carew might be motivated to play more as well as he wouldn't be a preferred option with the management / fans.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 11:45:10 AM »
The liver was clear and 3 Eagles chased a solitary Hawk from the sky. And then came a rumbling through woods. A Bear fell over.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 12:26:24 PM »
Bit of a strange one considering he was full of praise for now 2 time ex boss MON when he first signed. Saying how he was looking to rediscovering his best form like the Leicester days.

I think Him and Gabby will be the settled starters in the mould of Heskey/Owen circa the scousers 2001.

Long may it continue, but I wont hold my breath.

If anything, it was nice just to see someone acknowledge things weren't working and change it around.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
And I heard
As it were
A voice of thunder
One of the Holte End saying `Look and see'
And I saw
And behold
Emile scored

And the virgins were all trimming their wicks.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »
GH obviously rates him, in Liverpool's treble winning season he started and finished most games. It was Owen and Fowler who got rotated/subbed. Let's hope for a double whammy -  the rebirth of Heskey and a knock on effect of a motivated John Carew.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 02:30:01 PM »
Didn't Emule say that O'Neill always used to call him 'boy' ?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »
Didn't Emule say that O'Neill always used to call him 'boy' ?

And he used to call him "boss" too.

Hmmm.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal