collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Collymore slams MOTD and Sheeeeeeeeeearer  (Read 15543 times)

Offline TimTheVillain

Re: Collymore slams MOTD and Sheeeeeeeeeearer
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
Stan Collymore is a complete example of presenters on talkshite, big headed, arrogant and thick. I am not a MOTD fan but talkshite are only interested in shocking people. They are the radio equivalant of the Daily Star.

Having said that I think Shearer is a complete waste of time and Hansen/Lawrensen belong to a different era so a freshening up of the panel is well overdue. Having seen Collymore be a pundit on Channel 5 i would rather have 15 minutes worth of ad breaks.

Stan Collymore brings the name 'Aston Villa' to radio more than any other.

National radio and Villa are not normally synonymous.

That has to be a good thing, surely.

As for MOTD, it's watchable for the football but Shearer and Co. don't add much - as Stan says, they're ex. fotballers - end of !

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 12:36:34 PM »
I agree with Collymore's comments to an extent (quite frankly, Collymore the man and his thoughts on Marlon King are irrelevant) because MOTD is safe and chummy, but I would question what you would put in its place. Personally, I could do away with the punditry altogether because it doesn't add anything for me; it just gets my back up. But other people like it partly because it gives them a clue as to what to talk about when discussing a particular match with friends, either agreeing or disagreeing. But I get all I need from pictures and commentary so I don't need Lineker and co.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »
Totally spot on from Collymore. It's jobs for the boys at the BBC. Shearer and particularly Lawrenson are appaling. For a pundit to sit in a commentary box and admit that he knows nothing about the team or players that he's commentating on (In the World Cup for example) is totally unprofessional.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »
I'd like to get away from the idea that you have to have been a top-level player to talk about a sport. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
I've no real problem with Shearer on MOTD. The programme isn't bout insightful musings and criticising players. Hansen had a slight remark about alcott one week and then the next he mentions it and then goes on to say how brilliant he had been in the days game doing A, or B.

Shearer is banal at best but when the programme is hosted by Lineker what can you say? Although, to be fair to him, he was a better pundit. Dixon is good, Hansen is becoming a caricature of himself, Lawrenson is himself and its all an old pals network. As i said, fair enough, they're too scared to upset anyone so you know what you're getting.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »
I agree with Collymore's comments to an extent because MOTD is safe and chummy, but I would question what you would put in its place.
Anyone want "The Premiership" (a.k.a The Premiershite) back?

I like MoTD and can cope with the "experts" although Hanson made his "win nothing with kids" statement on the show fifteen years ago so maybe he and Lawro need to be culled to freshen it up.

Collymore himself is very inconsistent in his pundity - one minute making a very good point, the next talking utter cobblers.

People in glass houses and all that...

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
I'd like to get away from the idea that you have to have been a top-level player to talk about a sport. 

Me too, it's become nothing more than a fashion parade now ( or in Hanson's case, a 'non fashion parade')

'Look at me tan' !

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »
MOTD is bad enough, but it's high quality compared that fucking rat, Colin Murray, and his attempts at humour on MOTD2.

I'm sick to death of the whining glory hunter going on about Liverpool and his great footy-loving mates, like he's some jack the lad from the pub.

He's the only person i've ever felt the urge to send an abusive communication to. 5 years ago I emailed him to point out he was a c**t after he made what he thought was a 'funny' comment about Joe Strummer. He actually bothered to reply to me which gave me the opportunity to tell him once again that he is a c**t and I predicted in the next 10 years he'd be playing golf with the latter day versions of Tarby, Lynchy etc whilst forging a career in light entertainment. It's happening.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »
Stan Collymore is a complete example of presenters on talkshite, big headed, arrogant and thick. I am not a MOTD fan but talkshite are only interested in shocking people. They are the radio equivalant of the Daily Star.

I agree with your shock jock point in relation to Talk Sport, but Stan is not thick at all; far from it.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 01:48:56 PM »

BBC lost their best guy, I know he's a baggie but I loved Adrian Chiles.  More of him or more footy fans please. Sod the exe pros.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
www.twitter.com/CallCollymore

You'll have to be accepted to view his tweets, but his latest few have been spot on.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
In true twitter stylie, read from the bottom up

Journalists,and the like.So I'm afraid if you rip off someones quotes,quote them fully.

rather than ripping off someones protected tweets,then also in my comments he would would have seen suggestions of great tactical brains

Martin Samuel only criticised the choice of potential panelists,not the need for change,and again,if he and his (cont) http://tl.gd/65cks9

I've got good friends at the BBC who work bloody hard but my comments were aimed solely at editorial and punditry quality of 1 show.End of.

Correction.I was at 5 live as late as 2008.

So when lazy journalists are looking for a magic bullet reason why I think MOTD is poor,I'm afraid anti BBC is not it,by a long chalk.

working for talkSPORT but out of contract,the BBC made a firm contract offer to go back to 5 live with the opportunity to do television too.

when in fact I worked for 5 live commentating and doing Monday Night Club show as late as 2007.Also at the beginning of last season,whilst

A final point on MOTD tweets which has gone unnoticed.Suggestions are that after being sacked in 2004 that I have an agenda against the BBC

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »
He's got a point, MoTD is too smug - and the main punditry is tired. Hansen has been a parody of himself for years (supplying a stock series of phrases), Shearer simply has nothing to say and Lawro, like the rest of them, looks peeved if he can't make his lame puns and as if being simply there is mostly an inconvenience between the rounds of golf. Dixon is a breath of fresh air by comparison, though worked better with Chiles than he does with Lineker. The Football League show is better (if they got rid of the email section) produced. Loath them or loath them, Claridge and Savage would do the trick.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »
MOTD is not even in HD..  So fook it  ;-))

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »

Absolutely. As I said on  the thread about Lawro there are a large percentage of people on this site whose opinions and shit puns I find to be of a higher quality than these broadcasters. Indeed, it probably is a part of what Stan is saying about their prep work. No-one would deny that when it comes to Villa us supporters know far more than these journalists. Folk on this forum have been raving about Albrighton for years. I bet Lawro and Sheila had no idea who he was at 14.59 on Saturday 14th of August.

As for what Stan says I think he is on the money. Buried deep in the rant was the idea that there should a rotation of pundits who represented more clubs. MOTD is like a Liverpool and Arsenal old boys club with occasional references to Newcastle. It's not just a Villa perspective. Where are the ex-Chelsea players, the ex-Utd players? Some theories suggest that as well as the agent scandal this is behind Ferguson's unwillingness to speak to the BBC as he thinks it is biased toward Liverpool.

Of course it is interesting when you think that he asks for more frank and opinionated pundits. Sounds just like a striker I can recall who had a spell at VP... 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal