collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bright Future with M. Houllier  (Read 29937 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Bright Future with M. Houllier
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:52 AM »
Today is the first day of a new era at VP. Although it is unrealistic to expect us to stop talking about the previous manager as there are still too many unanswered questions it is time to stop using his departure as an excuse. Time to start looking forward, not backwards.

It is Gerard's team now. I am really excited about what he and his staff can bring to the club, the article in The Guardian today (link below) where he talks about us being too nice and creating a winning mentality is excatly what I wanted to hear.

Gerard speaks

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: Bright Future with M. Houllier
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:44:25 AM »
I'm really looking forward to it and I think it is the perfect game for him to start on.  A win tonight will not only keep us in the one competition we have a chance in but also give us momentum.

Also before the game on Saturday, we all agreed that Allbrighton needs a rest and Young needs to go back to the wing.  It's good to see that I am as good as Houllier (wink)

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:44:55 AM »
Well said Chris. Onwards and upwards.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:45:43 AM »
Unrealistic that some of us will not stop talking about that prick.

It is actually the old managers team, but the new manager is in charge.

Will we get a free scarf tonight? Bright future and all that?

A winning mentality is a good idea, but some fitness would be a good idea.

Good article by the way.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »
From the Guardian:

Gérard Houllier says it is time Aston Villa rediscovered winning ways

• Villa's new manager wants Carling Cup run
  • Richard Dunne out of Blackburn game

Gérard Houllier has issued a bullish call to arms ahead of his first game as Aston Villa manager by proclaiming that the club needs to "get out of its comfort zone" and show renewed ambition to challenge for trophies. Houllier, who formally took over yesterday, said Villa are well-respected within Europe but suggested their image was too "nice" and that the club lacked the winning mentality required to win things.

The Frenchman hopes to address those shortcomings over the course of his three-year stay, which effectively starts tomorrow, when Villa host Blackburn Rovers in the third round of the Carling Cup. The match comes 44 days after Martin O'Neill resigned as manager, leading to a turbulent period that coincided with Kevin MacDonald being appointed as caretaker and the club making an unconvincing start to the season that included elimination from Europe at the first hurdle.

Houllier admitted the Villa players were low on confidence and that the timing of O'Neill's exit had left them feeling "a bit of shock", although the former Liverpool manager is hopeful that his arrival, allied to the appointment of Gary McAllister as his assistant and Gordon Cowans as first‑team coach, will bring some much‑needed stability. In the longer term, however, he has a grand vision and has set his sights on altering the mentality of everyone connected with the club to end their 14-year wait for a trophy.

"Villa is a club which is liked in Europe. It has an identity," Houllier said. "Aston Villa is known as [being like] Paris Saint‑Germain. This club is known to be a good club. I've not met anyone saying it's a bad club. What the club needs is more ambition, more biting teeth.

"When you are a good club everything is fine, the comfort is there. What we need to do is get out of this comfort zone a bit more and get the results. The passion is there [but] the ambition to win things could do well at this club. The image is that it's a nice club. We want to be a winning club. A nice, winning club."

The League Cup would seem to be the perfect competition to kickstart that transformation. It was the first trophy that Houllier won at Liverpool, in 2001, when he also picked up the FA Cup and Uefa Cup during his most successful season at Anfield. "It [the League Cup] took a lot of pressure off the team," Houllier said. "If you remember, even Chelsea, their first [Premier League] title came after winning the League Cup. I remember speaking to [José] Mourinho and saying: 'Don't neglect that cup because if you win it, the confidence will grow.' This is exactly what happened to us: we practically won everything."

Although Houllier is keen to get through against Blackburn, he has taken a gamble with his team selection. Richard Dunne is ruled out with a knee injury and Stephen Ireland is doubtful after picking up a dead leg but Houllier plans to make a number of other changes regardless. With Villa out of the Europa League and looking like also-rans in the race for a place in the top four, the Villa manager is taking a risk. "Obviously I saw 11, 12, 13 players on Saturday, now I need to see the others," said Houllier, who confirmed that Marc Albrighton, the young right-winger, will be among those rested.

The 63-year-old has started to implement what he described as a "more continental" training regime and, over time, also expects the style of play to change. One change is likely to see Ashley Young, who has enjoyed playing in a more advanced role this season, just behind the striker, return to the flank.

"I think he plays for the national team as a winger, which means if he wants to keep his position and be extremely effective, maybe he has to play [at Villa] as a winger," he said.

Houllier revealed he has yet to sign his contract at Villa, although he made light of the hold-up, and pointed out that it was not until November that he put pen to paper at Liverpool during his first year in charge. He has more pressing things on his mind, including lifting some of the gloom at Villa Park. "You get smiles on faces with some results. And once you get some results, then you get more confidence and can work in a different way," he said. "But I trust this team. We've got a decent squad."

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:03:12 AM by Eigentor »

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:46:58 AM »
Albrighton will be rested tonight.

Good idea GH.

I think tonight is a very good game to start with.

Looking forward to it.

I like the bit about not neglecting the cups, something GH has never done.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
Houllier revealed he has yet to sign his contract at Villa..

Wait until Queen of the Drama Queens, Paulie Walnuts reads that.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »
You mean her Imperial Dramajesty? :)

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:55:03 AM »
I don't think GH is officially free from the french FA yet. I'm sure when he is an official contract will be signed. He'll be working under some 'agreement' surely.

Anyway, this doesn't worry me.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 09:07:18 AM »
Good words from Gezza!

I especially like the 'winning mentality' thing.  I do think there's something wrong if everyone likes us!

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »
He appears to have a very good understanding in a short time of the current state of the club.

We are too nice, we lack bite and players are in a comfort zone. 

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season now and it's good news to hear that Young is reverting back to the flank. 

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:05 AM »
I think we will be ok under him.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »
Yep, great read ahead of tonight thanks Chris. Sounds like he sees himself as a big moderniser behind the scenes. Not being hard on KMac but it's very reassuring to have the feeling that a different level of analysis is now going on re team selection.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:42 AM »
I think we will be ok under him.

I have no doubt we will be, but I want more than 'OK'!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 09:29:53 AM »
GH talks alot of sense...      Bring it on...

how many times have we said on here we are too nice..... Been saying it for years..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal