collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is the game ready for gays?  (Read 27690 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Is the game ready for gays?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »
Either that or they dont exist?

Perhaps they were so fearful that they drifted away from the game at an early age?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 05:25:47 PM »
There are no homophobic versions of Goodison Park for example.

As, to the best of my knowledge, there are no openly gay players, how do we know this?

How do you compare the realty of an incredibly racist and hostile crowd, such as you’d get at Goodison with the “Everton are white, Everton are white" chants and attempt to draw parallels with a fear that something similar might develop at grounds if a player should be openly gay? You're confusing fact and speculation.

Could you have another go? I don't understand what you are saying.

u dnt knw how da fanz wud react. u iz gesin. tings av mvd on since da racist 80ees. it wud nt be lke that  with a noOb gay player

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »
We are both guessing as there are no precedents.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 05:31:21 PM »
PeterWithe
Yeah but you don't have separate changing rooms for straight and gay people do you?
No you don't  however since we the human race became "civilised" we have felt the need to separate  ourselves based on sexuality. Males and  Females have to  be separated  in various stages depending on what part  of the world and your religion. The most basic separation applied by everyone  across the world is  changing rooms and toilets. Why is that? Is it privacy and human beings, especially males, are not able to  control themselves and therefore the sight of naked female form will lead them to behave badly. If that is the case than sexuality is the driver.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:34:10 PM by aftab235 »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 05:34:44 PM »
There are no precedents for an openly gay player, but I look around at society and the sort of people who attend football now as opposed to 20 years ago and I think I can be confident in predicting that should a player ever wish to tell the world he’s gay, that the reaction would not be as bad as it was with black players in the past.

Upson gets stick because he’s a Nose, not because he’s gay- which he isn’t anyway.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
If  players do "come out" would  clubs need separate  changing rooms for gay and non gay players?

I was going to say that perhaps it will change over the next 10 years the way much of racism has been eradicated, but with comments like the above I will say 20 years.

My comment is  not homophobic...3 of my best friends are gay...  and I have discussed this issue with them. No it's about the basics ...think about it why do we have separate changing rooms for males and females?

Are you for real? I've never met you but I bet you're quite young. What a stupid comment to make. Think about it. With comments like that, it's pretty clear you are not gay, so, based on your statement, you fancy every female on the planet. That's your logic. And it's fucking stupid. As you let more out about yourself, I think I could gurantee that a lot of females would find you a bit repulsive, let alone what gay people would think of you. In other words, don't flatter youself to think that all gay people would fancy you, all the women certainly don't.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »
If  players do "come out" would  clubs need separate  changing rooms for gay and non gay players?

I was going to say that perhaps it will change over the next 10 years the way much of racism has been eradicated, but with comments like the above I will say 20 years.

My comment is  not homophobic...3 of my best friends are gay...  and I have discussed this issue with them. No it's about the basics ...think about it why do we have separate changing rooms for males and females?

Are you for real? I've never met you but I bet you're quite young. What a stupid comment to make. Think about it. With comments like that, it's pretty clear you are not gay, so, based on your statement, you fancy every female on the planet. That's your logic. And it's fucking stupid. As you let more out about yourself, I think I could gurantee that a lot of females would find you a bit repulsive, let alone what gay people would think of you. In other words, don't flatter youself to think that all gay people would fancy you, all the women certainly don't.

errmm...OK thank you for summing me up precisely!

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 09:27:43 AM »
What about bisexuals?

I'd hate to be bisexual.

It's bad enough when women turn down my advances. It'd tip me over the edge if men spurned me as well.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »
What about bisexuals?

I'd hate to be bisexual.

It's bad enough when women turn down my advances. It'd tip me over the edge if men spurned me as well.

It's getting to the stage now where I'm going to have to be 'buy-sexual'.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 01:20:30 PM »
If there was a current player openly gay do think the manager would ask him to play in the hole behind the main striker - **childish snigger**

It is obvious that his sexual pursuasion would have no link to his ability as a footballer and that pro footballers today are of the younger, more tolerant generation i do not feel any issues with team mates, as i would imagine in their private lives the modern young footballer will all have openly gay friends. so the only "negative" would be that the game is by and large plyed in front of (predominantly) working class males and is based on any aspect of a player being used in chants against them. Where once it was awful rascist shit, today it is more about their physical appearance "You fat bastard, big nose, etc) almost any aspect of their life (think Rednapps pending court case, Tony Adams inprisonment, John Carews penchant for topless ladies) are all used as verbal assaults on players - either good or bad.
I really do not think that being gay is an issue for the vast majority of fans but in a footbal stadium environment anything will and can be used to cause an opposition player to have a mare.
I used to be quite chunky and a little sensitive over my size - yet when a less than skinny player was at VP i would still be wrapped up in the motion of the crown and scream "You fat bastard".
The rugby player that came out was i think unique in as much as i dont know a boxer, footballer or any other team / individual player in a sport predominantly watched by men that is openly gay.

Interestingly - any man who watches womens football assumes they are all gay !

Offline peter w

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »
Potentially a decent thread. Shouldn't it be in the Heroes Discussion forum?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »
I can see comparisons with the racism issue in the seventies and early eighties. It would be difficult for the first couple who came out, -  publicity/chanting and also comments from opponents and possibly team mates too. Most people would agree that with the amount of pro footballers in the country there must be a number who are gay and also a number who are homophobic. It's going to take a brave few to take the brunt of the stick to make it easier for the ones who follow.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 09:57:42 AM »
It's going to take a brave few to take the brunt of the stick to make it easier for the ones who follow.

My thoughts entirely - time for a 'leader of men', like Cyrille in the seventies, to consider his role on the football field to be more about communal gain than financial reward.

I'm not holding my breath mind, I fully expect the first 'out' to be past their best and more interested in selfishly igniting their own media career [I'm not cheap enough to make any suggestions here but they're obvious enough] rather then setting a precedent for young players to follow.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:50 AM »
The sad thing is 'football' as an establishment will ignore or excuse any type of behaviour that, in reality is quite wrong, but somehow it remains a special case so far as gay footballers are concerned. Its not even like football is an overtly machoistic sport, like rugby can be, and yet there are players in that sport who have let their sexuality be known. So what does it come down to in football? The fan culture, where abusive comments are made with impunity and without any kind of social remorse? The relative level (and I'm playing devil's advocate here) of education or the lower class backgrounds of the players in comparison to sports like rugby union or cricket engendering a certain culture within teams? The general ignorance of the media/fan attention? I don't know, but I believe it should be simple - footballers should feel completely at ease to be whoever they want*, and this taboo, in the modern world, is quite disgusting.

Edit * Obviously I'm talking about sexuality here, and not condoning any type of behaviour simply because someone wants to do it!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:13:13 AM by Mr Diggles »

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 10:28:38 AM »
No but non white players wouldn't try to bum you all the time :/

This is either a joke (an unfunny one), or you're a twat.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal