collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is the game ready for gays?  (Read 27779 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Is the game ready for gays?
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2010, 01:35:26 AM »
I can see BCV's point, though don't necessarily agree. The one thing, usually a physically attribute, that marks someone out from the norm will always be commented on, and at a football game (where you don't tend to hear subtle songs)  chanted about. It's just human nature. For Dave Cooper it was Richard Walker's (remember him?) square jaw, many of us Fernando Nelson's fantastic hair, for others Salifou's ''minesweeper head'' (cos it's spiky and black) etc. 

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2010, 09:09:12 AM »
Has Black Country Villa started going back to Villa games then?

A few months ago he was calling us all mugs for paying good money to watch Villa when he could stay in some yam-yam drinking den with his incomprehensible Wolves mates, watching Villa on Sky.

With his opinions on standing and anti-gay chanting, Black Country Villa seems determined to re-create the "halcyon" days of the 80s which, I presume, he's too young to have experienced first hand.

I'd have loved him to have called Justin Fashanu a bummer to his face.

Don't get me wrong though, some of my best mates are Black Country

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2010, 09:30:05 AM »
Personally, I couldn't give a fuck if a player is gay or straight. As long as they give 100% when ITSOTP.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »
Don't get me wrong though, some of my best mates are Black Country

The dirty bastards.

Offline lookslikedad

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
This is a ridiculous thread which has NOTHING to do with football.

As for homophobia, what about the other way around??
There's a Gay League for christ's sake!
Which have only just allowed a non bent side into their league???? So you want to discuss homophobia, or discrimination - get stuffed! Because it works both ways.

Plus i love the fact that everyone on this post is above board and fair??? Like none of you on here can hand on heart, honestly say you've never sung about Upson lifting shirts?

Offline lookslikedad

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2010, 09:44:29 AM »
So i take it noone on here joined in with the 'Upson takes it up the arse' chants and you all sat there shaking your heads in disgust then? I highly doubt that somehow.

It doesn't mean i'm homophobic, i've got gay friends, it would just be abuse and songs towards a footballer. They would have thousands chanting at them every week, it doesn't mean everyone is homophobic.

If people were singing racist songs would you join in ? I assume just because you sing them it doesn't make you a racist does it ?

Quite right, but we're not talking about racism?? So don't confuse arguments.
However, whether you like it or not, there was more than several thousand voices chanting those songs... and telling me that noone else was one of them??? Yeah right.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »
Plus i love the fact that everyone on this post is above board and fair??? Like none of you on here can hand on heart, honestly say you've never sung about Upson lifting shirts?
I can hand on heart, honestly say that I've never sung anything like that to Upson or anyone else.

Mainly because I'm not an idiot.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2010, 09:46:35 AM »

Which have only just allowed a non bent side into their league???? So you want to discuss homophobia, or discrimination - get stuffed! Because it works both ways.

Hello Kryten.

You're banned still. And this outburst of fuckwittedness has just reminded us why.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2010, 09:48:02 AM »
I am still livid with rage after, back in 1990, the Holte End sang "Get yer tits out for the lads!" at a troupe of 12-14 year-old Majorettes who were twirling their way across the 12-yard box.

Disgraceful behaviour: I mean, "Lads" Tsk! Some of them could have been lesbians you know!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »
Haha, Sniffer Walnuts strikes again!

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:22 AM »
Hello Kryten.

You're banned still. And this outburst of fuckwittedness has just reminded us why.

I think Kryton doth protest too much....

Maybe there's something he wants to tell us about himself

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2010, 09:53:25 AM »
Has Black Country Villa started going back to Villa games then?

A few months ago he was calling us all mugs for paying good money to watch Villa when he could stay in some yam-yam drinking den with his incomprehensible Wolves mates, watching Villa on Sky.
He seemed quite active on the match thread for the Man Utd game at the weekend as well.

I'd have thought he'd be too busy standing and singing to try to find a good wi-fi signal in the Holte.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2010, 10:37:13 AM »

They'd let you play if you show them your cock.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »
For Dave Cooper it was Richard Walker's (remember him?) square jaw,

My chant of "You're just a shit David Coulthard" never caught on.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2010, 10:40:23 AM »
From The Guardian today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/17/football-gay-players-support

Is football ready for gay players to come out?

Chris Basiurski
guardian.co.uk,    Wednesday 17 November 2010 10.00 GMT

Justin Fashanu, pictured in 1981, was the first professional football player to come out. Photograph: Allsport
A leading German footballer, Mario Gómez, has urged gay players to come out, but is he right to do so?

It is often said that football is one of the last bastions of homophobia. Is football ready to openly accept gay players?

I am of one of the lucky ones. I play in the Gay Football Supporters Network (GFSN) national league, the world's only national football league for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community – and yes, straight people are welcome as well.

The GFSN is more than 20 years old and was originally set up to help football supporters from the LGBT community meet each other. Now, as well as continuing to offer a real social network, we work with the footballing authorities to tackle the issue of homophobia within football.

The league exists to provide the chance for people to play in a safe and relaxed atmosphere but is also about reintroducing football to people who may have felt alienated from the game because of their sexuality.

There are two schools of thought about a suggestion such as Gómez's. One argues that anything to do with a player's personal life is a distraction and that players' primary obligations are towards their club, team mates and fans. We have seen from the recent examples of Wayne Rooney and John Terry that off-the-field problems can have a dramatic impact on a player's form. A player coming out would create huge headlines around the world and would bring enormous media pressure, not to mention pressure from the terraces and fellow professionals. Careers are short. Is it worth the risk?

On the other hand, there is the strong argument that the burden of hiding one's sexuality can be damaging and that the release of having opened up to the world can actually make someone a better player. I know that when I came out I was much happier, more focused and more excited by the possibilities that I knew would open up to me.

For professional players, the rewards could be great. Not only would they be free from the stresses of hiding their private lives, but their standing might be enhanced. Ian Roberts, the popular Australian rugby league player, found his sponsorship opportunities increased, while the likes of Martina Navratilova and Gareth Thomas are respected for more than just their sporting achievements.

There is also the question of whether players owe it to society to be role models for others. Undoubtedly footballers are seen as such, but is this fair? The court of appeal, when reducing Eric Cantona's jail sentence to community service, stated that no one should be held to a higher standard just because they are in the public eye. It is not necessarily a footballer's job to be a social pioneer.

Is football in the UK even ready for a player coming out? I do not think so. The football associations and the clubs need to ensure that match day officials, both on and off the pitch, are properly trained and ready to recognise and appropriately respond to instances of anti-gay abuse.

The PFA and PFA Scotland will need to be ready to deal with any issues that might arise with fellow professionals from a player coming out, while it would benefit the player to have a good PR person on board to safely navigate the media minefield. The GFSN, together with the likes of the Justin Campaign, Kick It Out, Peter Tatchell, Pride Sports and Stonewall, have shown their commitment to assist; the football world needs to respond.

The example of the UK's only male professional player to come out, Justin Fashanu, gives a sober warning of the dangers facing gay professionals, although this was many years ago. Society has moved on and is generally more accepting than it was back in 1988.

Unless a player is outed in the media, which would surely be a worst case scenario, I believe that the next time a player comes out in this country will be after they have retired, perhaps when releasing their autobiography.

Coming out is incredibly personal. At the GFSN, we would not presume to dictate to anyone how and when they choose to reveal their sexuality, nor should anyone else in the football community or the media do so either. We all need to work together to create an atmosphere in football where a player who chooses to come out can do so safely, without being destroyed by "merciless fans" and the media.

I long for the day when an openly gay British football player can put on his shirt and be welcomed by the fans in the same way as any other player. At the moment, we are a long way from achieving this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal