collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ireland: GH will get the best out of me.  (Read 16472 times)

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Ireland: GH will get the best out of me.
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 11:40:30 AM »
All players need time to settle in From what I've read on Blue Moon they've been unimpressed with Milner to date he did very little yesterday apparently but I'm sure in time he will be  fantastic for them as he was for us and the same goes for Ireland for us he needs time.Remember he's hardly been playing prior to coming to us.GH will sort it and get the best out of him- Please God

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 11:43:46 AM »
There is no doubt that a dsecision was made at Villa Park after MON left that having the money was more important than having James Milner.

The way I see the decision making process is James Milner v Stehpen Ireland plus £18m of new talent.  The only thing that changes is the understanding that the '£18m of new talent' won't be coming straight away.  It could be argued that the club made the right choice by taking a longterm view and decided to take one step back in order to take two foward. 

As I've said before, the proof will be if we do take these two steps forward! 

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
There is no doubt that a dsecision was made at Villa Park after MON left that having the money was more important than having James Milner. I'm sure that funds will be made available for Gerry but it depends on what his remit is.

There certainly is doubt. Why put it in such stark terms? Maybe the transfer had gone so far down the line, it was beyond pulling? That might or might not be the case, but there's certainly a possibility that was the case - ie doubt.

I'm sure in the past, Chris, you've been firmly in the camp of "you can't keep an unhappy player" yet now you're of totally the opposite opinion.

Would you also agree that a decision was made that it was more important to have money plus a good player in return rather than just more money?

If we were unable to buy players because we had no manager why were we able to take on in part exchange? Surely the same arguments apply? You know that I was less than enthusiastic over the prospect of Ireland because I didn't see that he'd fit into our current set up, so far it appears to have been a correct assessment.

If the club had really wanted to they could have stopped the deal. He was under contact to us and, as I said, above he was unlikely to risk his England place by not performing. They had the perfect excuse with the loss of manager but chose not to take it. That might prove to be a great decision if we use the money well but it has left us vulnerable at the moment.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 11:50:26 AM »
Leaving aside the behind the scenes stuff, I think it's obvious how much Milner is missed on the pitch. It's if we continue to miss him that will cause a problem.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Has anybody heard any information on whether MON was for or against the incoming Ireland transfer?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 12:00:44 PM »
Has anybody heard any information on whether MON was for or against the incoming Ireland transfer?
As Ireland was only too aware of the deal before it happened we can only assume MON was for it.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 12:03:48 PM »
I don't think we can assume that O'Neill was in favour of the Ireland component of the transfer. On what basis can we assume that?

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »
As Ireland was only too aware of the deal before it happened we can only assume MON was for it.

Or he wasn't and that forced him to resign?  Bit of Devil's Advocate there, but I don't think we can be certain either way!

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »
Some of the rumours on him leaving was he wanted cash only and not Ireland as part of the deal.

I still prefer Ireland ahead of Mcgeady for example on who the money was possibly being spent on. But hopefully he will start to play in his new position and alleviate the vague Sidwellian apprehensions I have from his perfomances so far.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »

Or he wasn't and that forced him to resign?  Bit of Devil's Advocate there, but I don't think we can be certain either way!
When Ireland signed he made reference to doing his homework on the Villa, speaking to several former players about the club. He certainly gave the impression he knew for some time of Villa's interest in him and how he was to be part of the Milner deal.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
I don't think we can assume that O'Neill was in favour of the Ireland component of the transfer. On what basis can we assume that?
My understanding is that he was happy with having Ireland in part exchange, he was less happy at being refused permission to sign McGready and Keane for a combined total of the Milner proceeds.

He'd have probably put them on £50,000-60,000pw wages as well.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 12:27:16 PM »
When Ireland signed he made reference to doing his homework on the Villa, speaking to several former players about the club. He certainly gave the impression he knew for some time of Villa's interest in him and how he was to be part of the Milner deal.

I'm sure he did.  But does that mean Martin wanted him?  Or more importantly that Martin wanted him more than the extra cash given that he wasn't able to shift the 'unwanted 6' as he intended?

Offline Mark H

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »
To me the best way to get the best out of Ireland is to switch Ashley back to left wing and bench Downing - That was we have Allbrighton and Young wide with NRC and Petrov in the middle with Ireland in behind Gabby, in a 4231 or 4411 depending how you look at it.  To do this we will have to pass the ball to each other and not just hit it long to Gabby for example when he is being marked by a 6'5" Zat Knight.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 12:32:32 PM »
I am still of the view that Stephen Ireland is not an 'Aston Villa type' player.  We don't do show ponies.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 12:34:28 PM »
My understanding is that he was happy with having Ireland in part exchange, he was less happy at being refused permission to sign McGready and Keane for a combined total of the Milner proceeds.

He'd have probably put them on £50,000-60,000pw wages as well.

If we sign the wrong player then it is the manager's responsibility as it is a football decision. If we pay them too much then it is a bsusiness decision.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal