collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ireland: GH will get the best out of me.  (Read 16469 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Ireland: GH will get the best out of me.
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »
Sky Sports

Let's hope he gets the best out of a few others also.
Stephen Ireland is confident that Gerard Houllier will help get the best out of him at Aston Villa.

New boss Houllier watched from the stands on Saturday as Villa were held to a 1-1 draw with Bolton.

The Frenchman officially takes charge on Monday and Ireland is looking forward to working with the former Liverpool chief.

"I think the change is going to have to be gradual," he said.

"Managers at other clubs have come in and changed things too fast too soon and it hasn't worked.

"I know Houllier has got big plans, and all the players will have to get on board. Hopefully we can go far in the cups and have a nice finish in the league.

"I'm happy with the appointment and everyone is looking forward to the future.

"Hopefully he can get the best out of me. The fans still have more to see. I'm still getting to understand the players on the pitch."

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
Re: Ireland: GH will get the best out of me.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
He can't change things soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Offline supertom

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:11:43 AM »
Ireland has had the distinct disadvantage of being played in the wrong position, while Ash Young continually struggles in Stevies natural role. Sooner GH sorts that, the better.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
Be interesting to see how Houllier accommodates him, his best position would be just behind the striker, but Ashley plays there at the moment.
Playing with 2 wingers is also leaving us chronicaly weak in the centre of midfield.

Hou has certainly got his work cut out over the next few weeks.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:31:49 AM »
Yeah but Mon played two wingers and we didnt look as weak as that, needs to be balanced better. Im sure he'll sort & if players aren't on board then they can fuck off somewhere else

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:37:47 AM »
NMTNW

Never Mind The Nice Words - let's see it please....

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
In selling Milner we effectively lost two players such was his influence on the side. Doing it without replacing him was a major mistake.

We're in the worst of both worlds at the moment; playing an open, attacking game that leaves us vulnerable at the back but not scoring the goals to make it viable.

Whatever the genuine and revisionist criticisms of MON are he had made us difficult to beat, we've lost that and the first thng GH has to do is get it back and sod all the guff about entertaining football until we've earned the right to play it.

At the start of last season before Downing was fit and Milner moved into the middle we had to make do and mend but were able to achive decent results by using Reo Coker and Sidwell so there's no reason why we can't do it again.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:47:51 AM »
As others have said, Ireland needs the freedom to get forward behind a striker.

I think NRC and Delph (when fit) are the two work horses we need in the middle behind Ireland, Young and Downing/Albrighton.

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:58:28 AM »
In selling Milner we effectively lost two players such was his influence on the side. Doing it without replacing him was a major mistake.
I agree Chris that losing Milner is a massive loss, but how could we replace him with no Manager?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »
I agree Chris that losing Milner is a massive loss, but how could we replace him with no Manager?

Replace him with no manager = "the board are choosing the players we buy"

Don't replace him with no manager = "we sold him and didn't replace him"

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 10:12:38 AM »

I think MacDonald could have been trusted to buy a player or if not then don't sell him. It was nearly 2 weeks after MON left that he moved, if we'd really wanted to we could have held onto him.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »

We're in the worst of both worlds at the moment; playing an open, attacking game that leaves us vulnerable at the back but not scoring the goals to make it viable.

Whatever the genuine and revisionist criticisms of MON are he had made us difficult to beat, we've lost that and the first thng GH has to do is get it back and sod all the guff about entertaining football until we've earned the right to play it.

At the start of last season before Downing was fit and Milner moved into the middle we had to make do and mend but were able to achive decent results by using Reo Coker and Sidwell so there's no reason why we can't do it again.

Agree with this. Houllier needs to make us hard to beat again. We are not going to be free scoring so he needs to sort the side out defensively and give us the strong mental appraoch we had under MON. Pretty it may not be at first, but the lack of organisation in the side (and losing Milner) has left us with a very soft centre.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 10:20:26 AM »

I think MacDonald could have been trusted to buy a player or if not then don't sell him. It was nearly 2 weeks after MON left that he moved, if we'd really wanted to we could have held onto him.

Come off it Nick Clegg, er..,. I mean Chris.
You're not going to allow a temporary manager to spend decent money on a player that the next manager may not want.
As for Milner, he surely wanted to go due to the riches on offer to him.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »

Compounded by the walk out of our manager though don't you think. Had he remained I'm sure he would have bought in more than Ireland in the midfield.
Now because of his timing, we were left with no one to make the decision even though as General K reiterated this morning, Randy will provide funds.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 10:32:44 AM »
I think NRC and Delph (when fit) are the two work horses we need in the middle behind Ireland, Young and Downing/Albrighton.
Speaking of whom, any update on when he'll be back?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal