collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:21:16 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bottler to manage grief merchants?  (Read 53856 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: Bottler to manage grief merchants?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »
Well if this move to Liverpool comes off, as I don't think it will, I'm sure we can all go through the pros and cons of MON's time here again.

Won't that be fun.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »
I know why people don't like him, but he seems to be being put in the same brackets as DOL, which seems very bizarre considering how well he did for us.

That's mainly because of the manner and timing of his departure.

The timing I grant you, but with so many unanswered questions about his departure I don;t see how we can draw any conclusions as to the 'manner' of it!

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
I saw this this morning.

Paraphrasing, "if something happens and then something else happens MON might be appointed manager".

The reporter (Pratt?) putting 2 and 2 together and getting 12,435,643,543

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
For someone who had three 6th place finishes in a row and a Cup Final in his last, he's getting an awful lot of grief.

He has had hardly any grief at all because most people wouldn't dare say a word against him until he had fucked off. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »
 I was willing to give him extra time on the premise that we’d move on from 6th. 6th isn’t bad, but it’s no achievement. It’s invariably where we’ve been for 20 odd years. The fact he bottled it and walked out means that I cannot factor in any premise of advancement under him, because he didn’t want the opportunity to try and finish what he started.

He got us to 6th, spent a huge amount to do it and we still haven't won a pot since 1996. The fact some still defend him is unsurprising. He wasn’t good enough, sad really as we all hoped he would be.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 02:05:28 PM »
I was willing to give him extra time on the premise that we’d move on from 6th. 6th isn’t bad, but it’s no achievement. It’s invariably where we’ve been for 20 odd years. The fact he bottled it and walked out means that I cannot factor in any premise of advancement under him, because he didn’t want the opportunity to try and finish what he started.

He got us to 6th, spent a huge amount to do it and we still haven't won a pot since 1996. The fact some still defend him is unsurprising. He wasn’t good enough, sad really as we all hoped he would be.

Invariably?

What pisses me off is the willingness to rewrite history because we're pissed off with him walking out. Yes, on the surface he's dropped us in it but to pretend that we hadn't made real progress and that last season wasn't our best in years is just fucking bollocks.

Offline Ads

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »
I’m not re-writing history, so clamber back into your pram. We have as many second placed finishes as 16th finishes, tot them all up since we were promoted and you’ll like as not get a figure of 5, 6 or 7. There is also the perception that it seems to me like we’ve been 6th for the past hundred years.

The manager did well, reversed the years of decline we’d suffered under O’Leary, spent a fortune and built a platform to deliver. But he never did and we still have gone over a decade without winning a trophy. That’s how history will judge him. I look forward to a few weeks time when you’re in as much love with Ged as you currently still are with O’Neill.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »
Our average finish in PL history is 8th.  yes, i know football wasn't invented in 1992, but it did dramatically change then so is as good a point in time as any to judge from.

Offline Ads

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 02:20:21 PM »
Yes and only four clubs have a better average. By points or by finishes, we've been here forever and it is no achievement. The 1930’s and the 2000’s were bleak and shamefully barren years for Aston Villa, lets hope the current set up can deliver a tonic to alleviate the pain.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »
I’m not re-writing history, so clamber back into your pram. We have as many second placed finishes as 16th finishes, tot them all up since we were promoted and you’ll like as not get a figure of 5, 6 or 7. There is also the perception that it seems to me like we’ve been 6th for the past hundred years.

The manager did well, reversed the years of decline we’d suffered under O’Leary, spent a fortune and built a platform to deliver. But he never did and we still have gone over a decade without winning a trophy. That’s how history will judge him. I look forward to a few weeks time when you’re in as much love with Ged as you currently still are with O’Neill.

"In love" - that's the sort of childish drivel we've had to put up with from nash and Overall in recent times, I thought you had a bit more to you.

I thought he was doing a good job, do you want me to pretend I didn't just to suit the prevailing mood?

As for Houllier, I'm optimistic that he can continue the good work and am particulary pleased with the staff he has put together which, on paper, has an exciting feel to it.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »
Yes and only four clubs have a better average. By points or by finishes, we've been here forever and it is no achievement. The 1930’s and the 2000’s were bleak and shamefully barren years for Aston Villa, lets hope the current set up can deliver a tonic to alleviate the pain.

No, four clubs have a better TOTAL points than us, not average.  From memory, our average points per game in the PL was also 8th. 

Offline sfx412

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »

Yes, on the surface he's dropped us in it but to pretend that we hadn't made real progress and that last season wasn't our best in years is just fucking bollocks.

Sorry to intrude on your special dream again, and not wishing to rewrite history, could you please justify the "on the surface " comment please.
Feel free to call me silly names if you must.

Offline mark1968

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »
Absolute bullshit story of course. But saw a few Pool fans reaction to this story and it seems most arent overly thrilled with the possibility of MON now.

Would be fun though. Couldnt wait to hear the scousers booing with MON in charge. It's more common than you think MON! Especially with some of the shit you often serve up!

Offline Ads

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »

"In love" - that's the sort of childish drivel we've had to put up with from nash and Overall in recent times, I thought you had a bit more to you.

I thought he was doing a good job, do you want me to pretend I didn't just to suit the prevailing mood?

As for Houllier, I'm optimistic that he can continue the good work and am particulary pleased with the staff he has put together which, on paper, has an exciting feel to it.

You seem to be having a bad day for the shattering of illusions. First evil billionaire tyrant and tycoon Woodhall fails to meet your expectations, and now me. Would it be too much to say that Father Christmas doesn’t exist?

I know you thought he was doing a good job. So did I, but as I pointed out there was a caveat to that with the expectation that we’d go on to achieve something tangible and something out of the ordinary. He didn’t want that opportunity and we all have our opinions as to why not. So when it comes down to it, I’ll not hold him in any real higher regard than Gregory, who equally spent a fortune and left us trophyless. The manner of O’Neill’s exit seals his reputation with many others and me.

I’m glad you share my excitement about the new regime. Cynicism doesn’t suit you and if you think I was being puerile and maybe I was, then it’s from your volte face on the board which seems to me to come from an unnecessary loyalty towards O’Neill. He doesn’t deserve it.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »

Yes, on the surface he's dropped us in it but to pretend that we hadn't made real progress and that last season wasn't our best in years is just fucking bollocks.

Sorry to intrude on your special dream again, and not wishing to rewrite history, could you please justify the "on the surface " comment please.
Feel free to call me silly names if you must.

It's quite simple. We do not know the exact circumstances of his departure. So, on the surface he's dropped us in it but we cannot know for certain until we are given the full story.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal