collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: No Obstruction?  (Read 5755 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
No Obstruction?
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:11:27 AM »
What happened to the obstruction rule? has it been deleted from the rules?. the reason i ask is an incident in the United-Pool game where Nani ( LOW CHEATING SKUNK THAT HE IS) pushed the ball past the full back and the immediate reaction was for the full back to throw his arm across Nani stopping his run. Along with tugging of jumpers in the box it has become a pet hate of mine and i just can't understand the refs allowing it to go on.

Offline davevillan

Re: No Obstruction?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
I it didnt see the game, so i cant comment on that incident.
The term 'obstuction' is no longer used, they use the word impeding.
Obstruction was an indirect freekick, but now if a player impedes an opponent and contact is made then it is a direct free kick.
On the Nani incident, it depends on the Refs viewing angle, and how he see's it.
Did he see the arm? Did he think Nani was looking for it? etc, and he then has to make a split second decision.
From what i saw on MOTD2 last night, he got the key decisions spot on.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:27:10 AM »
What I do hate is defenders delibrately fouling when "shepharding the ball out" and nothing being done. 

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »
I understand the obstruction law was quietly dropped a few seasons ago.  A mistake in my view as it served a useful purpose. Offences that used to come under that law are now either ignored (see shepherding ball out of play) or a direct free kick is given, even if it is a penalty.  I recall  Arsenal got a penalty agains us at VP a frew years ago when a player (Henry or Kanu perhaps?) knocked the ball past a defender and then ran straight at him before falling down.  To me it was cheating but should have been  obstruction at worst, but a pen was given.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 11:33:30 AM »
What I loathe is the lack of consistency in the obstruction/impeding decisions. Put simply, if a player is running with the ball or has kicked it on ahead and does not deviate from the path of the ball, and an opposing player deliberately steps into that line with no attempt to play the ball, it's a foul. However, if an advancing player is 'jostled a bit', it's not. It's not the fact that the game's getting softer that's the problem, it's that part of the game are those little battles between players which make it so exciting and they seem determined to eliminate them.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 01:09:25 PM »
One rule I hate is where a goalie comes out misses the ball and the attacker intentionally hits hit feet against the goalie and tumbles. To me thats playing for a penalty and if you could have avoided the contact then its no free kick/pen. Michael owen mastered this "cheat" and the Arsenal forward Chamack?? did it vs Braga in the week.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »
What I do hate is defenders delibrately fouling when "shepharding the ball out" and nothing being done. 

I think the rule there is that aslong as the ball is within playable distance to the defender, as in he could get a touch if he wanted to, he's deemed to be in control of it, even without touching it, so it's not obstruction.

Offline Mark H

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 01:21:31 PM »
One rule I hate is where a goalie comes out misses the ball and the attacker intentionally hits hit feet against the goalie and tumbles. To me thats playing for a penalty and if you could have avoided the contact then its no free kick/pen. Michael owen mastered this "cheat" and the Arsenal forward Chamack?? did it vs Braga in the week.

And then the comentator always says - stone wall pen or words to that affect and I think like you no the forward has bought that one with the leg drag technique

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 01:54:01 PM »
Along with tugging of jumpers in the box it has become a pet hate of mine and i just can't understand the refs allowing it to go on.

Bolton should have had a penalty for that on Saturday.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »
One thing that I don't like is when Refs hold up a corner or a free kick to separate players in the box. The Ref should just let play proceed and award the foul as appropriate.

At the moment players know that before the ball is kicked they can push-and-pull all the want. They're either going to get away with it or, if the Ref spots it, play will just be held up with no action taken against the offender.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 09:06:16 PM »
One thing that I don't like is when Refs hold up a corner or a free kick to separate players in the box. The Ref should just let play proceed and award the foul as appropriate.

At the moment players know that before the ball is kicked they can push-and-pull all the want. They're either going to get away with it or, if the Ref spots it, play will just be held up with no action taken against the offender.
The reason is they are asked to be pro-active. The problem is, if its allowed to develope, then there is always the chance of a swinging elbow etc, with one or both trying to break free. That way, they can avoid a red card, and potential serious injury.

Offline villa1

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »

I believe it's not a foul if the defender is in control of the ball or it is within playing distance.

Offline villa1

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »
Ferguson is a little hypocritical in criticising Torres, considering he has Nani in his team, who is embarrassing with his overreactions and play acting.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
What I do hate is defenders deliberately fouling when "shepherding the ball out" and nothing being done. 

I believe it's not a foul if the defender is in control of the ball or it is within playing distance.

Thanks to you and Villa1 although I was aware of that rule. I'm talking about defenders blocking the attacker off when the ball is actually several feet ahead of them, or deliberately aiming at the attacker just as they get around them and pushing them out of the way.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »

And then the comentator always says - stone wall pen or words to that affect and I think like you no the forward has bought that one with the leg drag technique

Yes and the other comment that gets my goat is "there was contact".  It's a a fucking contact sport you dumb fuck.  Any commentator who says that, or "was he the last man?"  Should be fired for not knowing their job. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal