collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A selling club.  (Read 57888 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
A selling club.
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:35:44 PM »
Watching MOTD just now, in the aftermath of the highlights of our match, Lawrenson said (and I paraphrase) "it's going to be interesting to see how the chairman acts, because Villa seem to have become a selling club, they sold Barry last year and Milner this year, it looks like the chairman has considered the investment needed, and the wage bill, and decided enough is enough".

Now, even taking into account the fact that Lawro is a gigantic friend of Martin, so to speak, I thought this was the best example yet of the way the media have so eagerly bought into this notion of us as a selling club.

Interesting that he cited the two top level players we've sold, and we sold them both to Manchester City, having had the predictable financial pressure they have at their disposal placed on us. Pressure which pretty much no club, or player, could withstand.

I wonder, why Internazionale aren't being labelled a selling club for selling Balotelli to them? Or Arsenal for selling them both Adebayour and Toure? Or Everton for selling them Lescott?

Are we going to shake off this label, or is it going to become a self fulfilling prophecy? Manager leaves, assumptions are made that it is about star player being sold, season goes to shit, remaining star players get unsettled, want to leave, circle repeats.

I'm strongly of the opinion that the chairman has invested very well in us, and will continue to do so, but this strikes me as an absolutely crucial period for him, his stewardship of the club is going to need to be absolutely spot on, because this could very, very easily go the wrong way, if events start to spiral - the die is cast, the media have made their mind up.

Clubs sell players, it happens - as well as the examples listed above, I don't remember Spurs being labelled as a selling club for selling Carrick and Berbatov to Man United - but it seems to me that they really, really do have it in for us at the moment.

Or am I being overly paranoid?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: A selling club.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37:55 PM »
They've got four years of not being able to say anything bad about us because their mate was our manager to make up for. 

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 11:40:12 PM »
It's not paranoia.  They really are out to get us.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »
They've got four years of not being able to say anything bad about us because their mate was our manager to make up for.

That is one way of looking at it.

In relation to the question raised by the topic, another view would be that the last manager made a serious attempt at stopping our best players being taken off our hands in the last 3 close seasons, but now all bets are off in that respect.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 11:48:39 PM »

That is one way of looking at it.

In relation to the question raised by the topic, another view would be that the last manager made a serious attempt at stopping our best players being taken off our hands in the last 3 close seasons, but now all bets are off in that respect.

Why, though?

He's gone. The new man will do his thing, but it seems a little extreme to assume he's going to be told to sell, sell, sell.

Did anyone think Milner was going to stay this summer as soon as Man City came knocking?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 11:56:19 PM »
Lawrenson makes a good point in my opinion.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 11:56:49 PM »
Its a blatant piece of the Mon pr we will have to accept as with his comment we'll be lucky to finish 8th.
But while our PR is so muted what can we expect.
Out of interest talking of pr is there a deliberate attempt going on to curtail the Generals thread on this site.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:59:44 PM »
Yep we've sold our best player and now our much weaker as a result you can't really argue with that :(

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 12:00:45 AM »
Yep we've sold our best player and now our much weaker as a result you can't really argue with that :(

That's not the point at discussion, though.

Any team is going to be weaker if they sell their best player. The issue is us being called a "selling club", which has an entirely different connotation - think Wigan.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »
EVERY club is a selling club when it comes to Man City.  Even Barcelona sold them a 1st team regular.  We haven't sold anyone to another club so I think Lawrenson is wrong.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 12:22:18 AM by Holtenderinthesky »

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 12:10:43 AM »

That's not the point at discussion, though.

Any team is going to be weaker if they sell their best player. The issue is us being called a "selling club", which has an entirely different connotation - think Wigan.
I am starting to wonder how desperately we tried to keep Milner though unfortunately I don't think we will ever know the answer

Offline stevenjos

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
So we sell our best players... But were not a selling club?

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »
So we sell our best players... But were not a selling club?

A selling club goes out of its way to sell players on, actively seeks to make the profit.

Other clubs sell players, sometimes their best players. Tottenham have done it more than us of late. Are they a selling club?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:15:42 AM »
I don't believe we are selling club at all, the fact that Man City made a ridiculous offer doesn't change that. Selling at a hugely over inflated price does not make a club a 'selling' club.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
I don't believe we are selling club at all, the fact that Man City made a ridiculous offer doesn't change that. Selling at a hugely over inflated price does not make a club a 'selling' club.

That's my take on it.

My worry is the ease with which the perception has set in, jumped upon by the media, and that - unless we are very, very cleverly managed over the coming season - it might become a self fulfilling prophecy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal