collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A selling club.  (Read 58083 times)

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
Re: A selling club.
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 09:43:33 AM »
Lawrenson's only interested in one club and then there are 19 others he's asked to have an opinion on so it's not surprising when he repeats the usual tripe from other sections of the media. While I appreciate it's not ideal for us to be perceived in such a manner a throwaway comment by a celebrity Liverpool fan masquerading as a pundit is nothing to get concerned about.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »
The facts show that the club did sell James Milner, we will never know if they offered him a new contract or the captaincy in order to try and keep him like they should have. Even so if you were Milner who would u like to line up with Petrov or Yaya
Toure ??.....The only asset we have left that is worth a substantial amount in the market is Ashley

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 09:51:29 AM »
We are not a selling club but if someone want's to throw silly money at us for one of our players then we would be mad not to accept.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »
We are not a selling club but if someone want's to throw silly money at us for one of our players then we would be mad not to accept.

That's the very definition of a selling club, where the money is more important than the player. We're worse of as a football team for selling Milner although I accept that the accounts will look better.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »

That's the very definition of a selling club, where the money is more important than the player. We're worse of as a football team for selling Milner although I accept that the accounts will look better.

Those are the facts Chris and no-one can argue with those

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 10:03:14 AM »

What happens when a player is insistent that he wants to leave?

Was that not the case when we sold Barry last year, under your definition?

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »

Those are the facts Chris and no-one can argue with those

It isn't a fact to say we 'we would be mad not to accept', it's an opinion.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »

You make sure you can replace him adequately or you tell him he has to wait which is what we did with Barry.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 10:07:53 AM »
Sorry but "silly money" comfort argument that we make  to justify we are not a selling club is bunk.  Sometimes just sometimes you have to make a stand  and I thought  that was the "bright future" . A future that states that we will keep our best and add to them. All we have done  in the last two years is to  sell the best and buy average at best.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:22 AM »

You make sure you can replace him adequately or you tell him he has to wait which is what we did with Barry.

A fair enough point.

I still think it is too simple to say a selling club is one which turns down silly money for players. There's more to it than that.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:56 AM »

In that case, Man United are a selling Club.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »
Sorry but "silly money" comfort argument that we make  to justify we are not a selling club is bunk.  Sometimes just sometimes you have to make a stand  and I thought  that was the "bright future" . A future that states that we will keep our best and add to them. All we have done  in the last two years is to  sell the best and buy average at best.

Regardless of the situation re selling Milner, I don't think you can blame the buy average bit on the board. They weren't the ones choosing the players.

Offline smudger

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
Its hard to describe a club that has spent more on players than bought in over the past 4 years as a selling club. However, i reckon the new board have spent in the region of £70m over that period, broken down thats £17.5m per season. Thats not going to turn relegation fodder into champions league contenders, and thats why we are not going to be this season. I, for one, was hoping for much more when they arrived, so am disappointed. I do appreciate that if they have not got the money then fair enough, but i'm sorry to say they while i appreciate that they certainly are not bad for the club, i can't help but wish for an Arab to come here, as bad as it is for football in general. As an aside, the next 12-18 months will tell us whether actually they do have the money but run out of patience with Martin, and Houllier gets a shit load to spend and all is good, or whether we will sink back into mid table mediocrity and have actually not come any further than the Doug years (on the pitch).

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
99% of teams in the world are selling clubs. Man Utd sold Ronaldo for £80m, AC Milan sold Kaka to Real (nearly to Man City).

I accept that we sell players for good money as we are not Real Madrid or Man City. The key is that we reinvest that money into the team when these players get sold. We shall see if that happens in January as we need fresh blood. I think that will be a good indication of where Lerner sees us. From his past record, I am sure we will spend.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2010, 10:12:42 AM »

A fair enough point.

I still think it is too simple to say a selling club is one which turns down silly money for players. There's more to it than that.

I agree, as I said above it's too simplistic to say that we are a selling club. However, this summer they had the perfect excuse to say to Milner that with no manager we can't make decisions on players leaving and he'd have to wait. Why didn't they?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal