collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A selling club.  (Read 58060 times)

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
Re: A selling club.
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »
I hate the way Lawro says 'At the Moment'
Comes out as 'at the mowwwwwment'

I was saying that all day Saturday, think that I've got it off to a tee!

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »
Add a few puns Lee and you'll be well away.
Like when he commentated on the Derby County game, Pringle came on for them as a substitute, his reaction was comedy gold.
'I hear he's a crisp passer.'

Offline Villain at Hert

« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2010, 01:40:07 PM »
I was furious when I heard this on MOTD. ManUre are not apparently a selling club for letting Tevez go to their rich neighbours, or selling Ronaldo to Real M.

There are sometimes when it makes sense to sell, and I think that both Milner and certainly Barry will prove to be good sells.

May revise my opinion if we sell Young to Spurs though.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2010, 05:34:41 PM »
Add a few puns Lee and you'll be well away.
Like when he commentated on the Derby County game, Pringle came on for them as a substitute, his reaction was comedy gold.
'I hear he's a crisp passer.'

In fairness he hasn't used the Lazarus comeback gag for a while.

So it's probably about due.

What a dullard, the wit and wisdom of a 14 year old.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »
does it matter, Platt, Macinaly,Yorke, Barry, Milner,Gray, Gidman, Gibson, you could go on all day,

we probably are a selling club if the right club comes along with the correct amount of dosh, but thats no different to any other club, everone opperates at there own level

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »
I was furious when I heard this on MOTD. ManUre are not apparently a selling club for letting Tevez go to their rich neighbours, or selling Ronaldo to Real M.

They didn't own him, he was only on loan at ManU.

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »
Stan Collymore had a real go at MOTD in todays Daily Mail saying that there are an old pals act with stale comments and poor opinions from out of touch ex-players.  He probably wants a job, or just decided to knock the oposition.

But i rate Collymore's views.  he comes up with some good points from time to time.

Lawrenson hardly had conclusive evidence we are a selling club, with the just the Barry and Milner sales to go by.  Hardly the basis for any opinion.

here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1313740/Match-Day-dinosaur-TV-turn-says-Stan-Collymore.html

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2010, 10:01:58 PM »
What is Buying and what is selling?
Balancing the books?
Any business that achieves success is a target for takeover and any player with a value must have other teams who want him to maintain that value.
Football clubs sell to balamce the books or they go bankrupt or get a bigger investor.
Randy is not selling Villa but he may well sell players.
32Red is not making money; like all the gambling sites tumover is down.
Ergo Villa must be solvent or even contribute to owning bottom line as an asset.
Man U and L'pool's US owners are in trouble. Is Randy? Probably not as much but unless someone can dempnstrate to the contrary he ain't making as much as formerly.
So where does the money come from if we are to buy?
FranchiseMarketing..If you go to Hong Kong the buses are decorated in Chelsea colours..all over. China mainland Manu are huge. Park gets a game because of the following in Sth Korea.  When I was in China Man U sportsbar packed at 2000(12.00 KO) here. Loads of shirts on view. Villa played same day 1600 KO and bar virtually empty at midnight. No shirts and no interest. By 0200 in morning it was goodnight Irene and put on empty streets.
Point being money is coming via TV and marketing to the big boys. Have we any money coming from other territories? I don't think so.
We do not have the assets and there if the Top4  fancy a good player they make the approach and can pay the ackers. The top clubs are not sellers they have the funds to buy when they need to and 'dispose' of' when they need to to balance books a bit.
We do not have the resources of the top 4 ergo we settle, for the time being, for mid-table or better.
The world is a shitty place right now and going to get worse.
Villa will sell if they have to to maintain equilibrium and hopefully they will not buy rubbish to replace.
So not a buying club then on any major scale to challenge the Top 4anyway.
3-4 years of middling ambition until times get better generally then the hope that the Top 4 compromise themselves in some way we may  challenge again for winning the league.
BTW The ghost of Joe Mercer must be smiling at the prospect of MoN going to ManC as one contributor suggested..how easily history is forgotten.
Another four years and the argument will still rage.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal