collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A selling club.  (Read 58063 times)

Offline bob

Re: A selling club.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 12:27:27 AM »
The notion that we could be a selling club is inherently flawed, in my opinion.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 12:27:51 AM »
We've got a quality manager at the helm now and I don't think there would be anyway he would join a so called "selling club" if we'd employed Curbs I would be worried.I feel actually happy tonight with the coaching staff employed I am absolutely sick of this negative press Everton are at the foot of the taable and you don't hear a whisper

Offline bob

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 12:28:40 AM »
I don't give a shit about what the fucking media think by the way.

If any of you do, don't worry. Houllier will sort it out.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 12:29:08 AM »
We've got a quality manager at the helm now and I don't think there would be anyway he would join a so called "selling club" if we'd employed Curbs I would be worried.I feel actually happy tonight with the coaching staff employed I am absolutely sick of this negative press Everton are at the foot of the taable and you don't hear a whisper

Good point.

And Everton extracted far more money than he is worth from City for Lescott, but I don't remember people pointing and screaming "selling club!" at them.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 12:42:36 AM »
To an extent aren't all clubs selling clubs?  Even Man U had to concede and sell Ronaldo.  Mascerano to Barca is another example.  The spurs players noted above.

I don't have a huge problem with us selling Barry/Milner for top dollar as long as the club re-invest the money.  If the personnel are correct - step forward Mr H - every-time we sell one of our top players we should be able to invest in two or three potential stars. 

Basically I see it as the only way we can make the Club sustainable (whilst growing) without magic-ing thousands of new fans.

I do agree with the comments that the Club needs to improve its PR and stop looking "small-time".  A statement of intent in the January transfer window would do the trick.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 01:02:25 AM »
Lawro doesn't know (or really care) what goes on at VP.

I don't think he's given it much thought outside of his mate pissing off this summer and Milner joining Citeh. Put the two together and that equals selling club or 'something not quite right' to Lawro and a fair few other fuckwits.

We'll see in Jan/ next summer I guess. I'm inclined to believe the board who have made it clear that money is available for Houllier (as it was for MON) until such times as they give me adequate reason not to believe them.

As Seņor Walnuts says, we're about as much of a selling club as Arsenal are.

Online KRS

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 02:07:57 AM »
Given MONs silence and all this negative media, is it inconceivable to think that MON may be releasing his side of the story via his media buddies? Obviously we are not a "selling club" but if MON was told to get rid of x-amount of players and reduce the wage bill by x-amount, then its not exactly hard for him to suggest this to certain ppl who then release this information without the full facts. Just an observation.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:15 AM »
Perhaps with the fresh start of the appointment of Houllier, we can also start to develop better relations with the media which might mean less of these types of stories. 

Offline villa1

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »
We're not a 'selling club'. If someone comes in and offers a stupid amount for a player anyone would sell. Plus, Milner and Barry both wanted to go, so why keep them? If that does make as a selling club then you've got to level the same accusation at Spurs, Everton, etc.

We have money to spend but Learner wanted the high wage earners, that were never utilised, off the books first. Understandable.

Lawrenson's comments just highlight his ignorance of any club but Liverpool in my opinion.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »
It is stupid. Everybody is for sale and every club is for sale. I mean if AC Milan come up with 120 millions for Messi for example Barcelona will sell.

We can't rely on producing a team of home grown players.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »
He said "to all intents and purposes a selling club".

We didn't have to sell Milner. I doubt he'd have kicked up a fuss if we'd said no. The argument was made that we couldn't sign players without a manager in place then why wasn't the same true when it came to selling them? Pelty hinted the other day that it came as a surprise to everyone when MON said that Milner wanted to leave yet the club went ahead and sold him anyway, well after MON had left. It's too simplistic to say that 'we area selling club' but we do seem to have given up on fighting to hold onto players in the way we did with Barry and Liverpool.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
This is why I don't watch Match Of The Day, much prefer Goals On Sunday on Sky. 

Even when their pal MON was in charge, Lineker in particular barely had a good word to say about us.  I can't stand all the matey banter betweeen Lawro, Lineker and Captain Scarlet either.  The three of them get right on my tits.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »
This is why I don't watch Match Of The Day, much prefer Goals On Sunday on Sky. 

Even when their pal MON was in charge, Lineker in particular barely had a good word to say about us.  I can't stand all the matey banter betweeen Lawro, Lineker and Captain Scarlet either.  The three of them get right on my tits.

I have been fortunate enough to be living in Oz for the last three years, so have not watched MOTD since Sept 2007. I remember thinking of all the MOTD presenters as a complete bunch of cvnts. Lineker and his barely disguised hatred of Villa, lame gags and, as you say, shit banter with the other twats they have on there, take your pick from Shearer, Hansen, Lawrenson. Add to that us always being shown right at the end for about 2 mins, even if we'd won 4-0 and they'd still sooner show a 0-0 between Arsenal and Liverpool for an hour.

We have Robbie Slater and Mark Bosnich on the Fox sports programmes here. Both of them can be dicks at times, but much prefer both of them to the MOTD presenters. Both call it as they see it and you can't detect any real bias against any of the clubs. Although you'd expect some bitterness towards Chelsea from Bozzie, doesn't seem to be any.

The thing that most winds me up about Lineker is that he used to be quite good as a pundit, before someone told him he was funny and he started trying to crack gags all of the time.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
I saw this too. Lawrenson really is a poor excuse for a pundit, so no  you're not paranoid.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 09:39:41 AM »
Whatever we think of Lawro and the media the plain fact is that we  ARE a selling club. Whenever  someone has come calling for our best players and players have indicated they would be interested we have  taken the money.

Never heard words " He is not available at any price" or a player being told "You are staying put"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal