collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Different View  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Brisbane Villan

Different View
« on: September 20, 2010, 05:45:54 AM »
Just something that has bothered me for a while now.  Why do Football Managers watch the game from ground level?   Surely a better place to watch would be from high up in the grandstand in a managers box so he could see potential weaknesses in the opposition formation and make the required changes in his tactics.       A simple radio link to a coach on the bench could pass on any adjustments to the players,     certainly the fans, high up in the terraces seem to pick out deficiencies long before the manager. This system is used in the Rugby League over here and believe me, they dont miss much.   They even have a tv in the room (just in case the game is really boring) linked to the ground broadcast.

Just food for thought.

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: Different View
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:22:21 AM »
Some do sit in the stands - Sam Allardyce springs to mind. BFR sometimes used to sit up in the stand for the odd game - Tranmere at home in the first half springs to mind - while John Gregory spent nearly the whole of the second half of one season up in the stands and our results improved dramatically although he claimed it was because the players didnt like to be shouted as he roamed up and down the touchline.

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:36:13 AM »
Wasn't Gregory initially banned from the touchline, had to move into the stands and then thought, "ooh, I quite like it up here"?

Offline ez

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:43 AM »
Yes he did have a touchline ban. During it our results improved so he stayed in the stand after the ban ended.

Offline jembob

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:11:40 AM »
We were talking about this on the way home from the game on Saturday. I have always assumed that managers have so much experience of playing and watching the game that they are able to judge perspective from ground level rather than needing an elevated view, however it's plain to see that hoofing the ball up to a lone striker who is being dominated by a defender isn't going to work regardless of where you are watching from.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:55:07 PM »
The only thing I would say about this is that managers who think they're great tend to sit in the stands and then come down. I don't know if he still does it but Allardyce used to be one of these men, as was Phil Brown and I think Megson did it as well. Invariably if I see a manager who sits in the stands I think they're an arsehole.

Offline littlevillain

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:54:24 PM »
like the NFL? 

Offline villa1

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
We've discussed this too and decided that the manager would stay on the bench but would have a member of coaching staff in the stand who could relay patterns of play, etc. I think we often see things in the upper Holte that managers may miss at ground level.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:00:54 AM »
The only thing I would say about this is that managers who think they're great tend to sit in the stands and then come down. I don't know if he still does it but Allardyce used to be one of these men, as was Phil Brown and I think Megson did it as well. Invariably if I see a manager who sits in the stands I think they're an arsehole.

Why is that? ( Genuine question)

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
Just slightly off topic I am always amazed that Managers don't warm up with the players.

Gregory is the only one I have seen do it, but surely that would be better than just sitting in the Charimans office smoking a big cigar and drinking whisky out of a whiskey bottle stored in the bottom of a filing cabinet

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »
I've never had any difficulty following a match from pitch-side, and never struggled to follow a game when I've been on the actual pitch, so I see no reason why a manager would benefit from a different view. 

Plus, being pitch-side any instructions would be 'instant', rather than relayed a few seconds later.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
I think Fat Sam and Phil Brown just like an excuse to wear those poncey headphones and pretend they're cops or FBI agents or something.

What about Sir Alex? his dugout is elevated?

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
Close to the action, can give orders to players. Simple really.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 02:43:04 PM »
I think Fat Sam and Phil Brown just like an excuse to wear those poncey headphones and pretend they're cops or FBI agents or something.

What about Sir Alex? his dugout is elevated?

oh yes...

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 05:19:12 PM »

Why is that? ( Genuine question)

Why is it that I think they're arseholes or why is it that the managers in question think they're great? If it's the first, I don't know. Probably because it makes me think they're going 'look at me, I'm a tactical bloody genius sitting up here.' If it's the second, it's probably coincidence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal