collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why has Mac not played the "Fonz" ??  (Read 13421 times)

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Why has Mac not played the "Fonz" ??
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:36:51 AM »
When MON rarely gave the fonz a run out and Heskey was at an all time low. Everyone was wondering and screaming out to give the Fonz a chance. Now Mcdonald has been in charge, why has he not been playing him ????
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:38:48 AM by WALTERS WARRIORS »

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Why has Mac not played the "Fonz" ??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:04:47 AM »
I'd guess it's not in K-Mac interest to develop players as he is only temporary manager.

As an aside, I have a friend who scouted for MON (don't laugh) and as part of this role he had to go to the training ground every few months with other (peripheral) scouts.

Anyhoo, on the walls are shed loads of training statistic for all the players at all levels - presumably to name/shame/measure/motivate etc.

Anyway he said that the Fonz was always down near the bottom (regardless who his peers were), whereas Big Bum Barry was always top of the class (yes it was a while ago).

So, I suppose that's a long-winded way of saying he might be a bad trainer.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:22:16 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:17:30 AM »
Word was (from Kevin Mac himself) that the Fonz hasn't been up to standard in training since pre season and looks low on confidence.

The obvious answer to that is he might have a bit more confidence if he was closer to the first team.

As always though, it should be on merit. Kevin Mac has been better placed than most to see the progress (or lack of) from the Fonz over the years. Maybe he's seen something he's not happy with. Or maybe he just doesn't rate him. Happens.

According to Mysterious Ways it was MON who rated the Fonz more than the coaching staff did anyroad. They seem to have more faith in Andreas Weimann, think he's the better long-term bet.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:23:38 AM »
What are scoring records for the Fonz and Weimann over the past few years?
[I could check myself but my battery is about to go flat...]

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:36:27 AM »
Mac obviously fancies Bannan. And after his superb hat trick against Man utd last night. (even though one was a penalty given against the fonz) He looks much more likely to succeed Delfonso. Or as Kevincage says:"maybe he just don`t rate him" ...........

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:41:08 AM »
This has actually annoyed me, Delboy should be kicking on this season, not knocked and put back in the reserves.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:43:43 AM »
What's also worrying is Km has said he has had a chat with GH about the players and where they are all at, nothing worse than having a bad impression of someone before you meet them.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:21:14 AM »
It is an intriguing one. I was expectng the Fonz to be a real contender this season. But I saw him play a few times over the summer and I was pretty disappointed. He's missed some amazingly easy chances, his touch hasn't looked as good as I thought it was, and yes, definitely low on confidence. I remember a K-Mac quote where he talked about how well Clark, Albrighton and Bannan had done, and Fonz 'up to a point'.

So I suspect he may not rate him, or perhaps that in Luke Moore style he's been the constantly feted one, whereas team mates have had consistently better attitudes? Or maybe he's just a typical jock racist?

(irony very much intended)

Offline pedro25

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »
KMac has reverted to one up front so that automatically makes it harder for Fonz to feature, it's a hard role for a young player.

Offline Captain Trips

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »
Wasn't the MON/NRC bust up as a result of Nigel giving the Fonz a bollocking for lack of effort in training? Maybe his attitude is not right?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:22:32 AM »
Wasn't the MON/NRC bust up as a result of Nigel giving the Fonz a bollocking for lack of effort in training? Maybe his attitude is not right?

And yet I read an article from one of the England under 21 trainers this year praising the Fonz's attitude.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
he's not good enough thats why

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:48:46 AM »

That was certainly one of the stories doing the rounds at the time.  Might also be that the coaching staff resented MON having his favourites, one of them apparently being Fonz.  Perhaps there's a little bit of "your sugar daddy isn't here any more and you're going to have to earn it now".

Shame because he looks a very good prospect nd hopefully he won't go the way of the Moores.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:20:25 PM by ktvillan »

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »
he's not good enough thats why

We don't really know for sure though do we?

He might not be good enough at the moment but  he still has a chance to improve and even at the level he's at now is a better player to be getting 5 minutes at the end of the game than Heskey is.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »
I thought it was strange with Carew injured only Heskey was the only forward on the bench on monday. The cameo's he played in the past have always been pretty good,he's still only 19 so theres plenty of time. If he is a lazy sod in training,maybe a new manager will force him to pull his finger out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal