collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[Today at 10:54:53 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 10:51:16 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:37:12 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:36:44 PM]

NSWE Investment by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[Today at 10:36:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 10:33:16 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - Rumours, Links, B*llsh*t and Made-Up Nonsense  (Read 1538543 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: January Transfer Window - Rumours, Links and Made-Up Nonsense
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
The thing is, as little as he's played at United - when he does start he scores more often than not.

And how many chances to we create in comparison to Man Utd?

The areas we need to improve in are still in the midfield. Gabby's an excellent lone striker, Carew, the Fonz and a fit Weimann all offer us something different. The fact remains that we still don't create enough bullets for the strikers to fire, so we still need to improve in that year.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
United have more depth and options though.

For the level of investment required- even if it's *only* 40k per week- we'd need to see him play regularly to justify that outlay. It's just too much of a gamble.

In fact it's not much of a gamble as you pretty much know at this stage he can't sustain a run of games.

Avoid.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »
The areas we need to improve in are still in the midfield. Gabby's an excellent lone striker, Carew, the Fonz and a fit Weimann all offer us something different. The fact remains that we still don't create enough bullets for the strikers to fire, so we still need to improve in that year.
My concern is that two of those four are totally unproven at Premier League level. If Gabby were to get injured we'd instantly look very light in attack, in my view.

The Fonz and Weimann are two players to give chances to here and there, off the bench preferably if we're doing well.  I don't think they're ready to be relied upon as regular goalscorers for the first team, in the absence of either / both Gabby or Carew.

ETA - I don't think Owen is the answer to that problem though.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:35:20 PM by hilts_coolerking »

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »
My concern is that two of those four are totally unproven at Premier League level. If Gabby were to get injured we'd instantly look very light in attack, in my view.

The Fonz and Weimann are two players to give chances to here and there, off the bench preferably if we're doing well.  I don't think they're ready to be relied upon as regular goalscorers for the first team, in the absence of either / both Gabby or Carew.

ETA - I don't think Owen is the answer to that problem though.

This is very true, and as you say Owen is hardly the answer, but if we are one of those clubs that has to prioritise our spending then I think we have greater problems elsewhere. Strikers are expensive, especially ones who are good on their own up front. Even if Gabby and Carew get injured, we have Heskey who wouldn't score but would hold up, meaning we'd have to be more counter-attack-based and direct, but there we are. It's not perfect up front, but we have greater weaknesses in our first team to worry about (cheers MON!) before we start worrying about cover.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »
The thing is, as little as he's played at United - when he does start he scores more often than not.

And how many chances to we create in comparison to Man Utd?

I would actually say we are covered in the creative department now.

Ash, Downing, Albrighton and Ireland.

Find a way of getting just three out of that four firing and we'll be hard to contain. The problem we face is finding the right balance top get the best out of those talents which is where a genuine DM/ CM comes in.

Petrov is a tidy player, even capable of imaginative passing with the shackles off. But all too often his remit is to not give the ball away at any cost, so he has to play the most risk free passes he can.

I like NRC, like what he can bring to the side.  He has qualities and athleticism that none of our other midfielders can provide. But his limitations in other areas are well documented. And he is most likely on his way out at the end of the campaign anyway, when he runs his contract down. Personally I have no issue with that, as he hasn't always been given a fair crack of the whip.

But the onus is on us to source a replacement, someone who can do all the good things NRC brings to the table but also has a decent degree of control and technical ability too. I'm not taking about an Essien-type player  - with wages and transfer fees to match. Rather a Diame, Alou Diarra or Sissoko-type.

That and one top class forward (not Owen) and we'd be in really good shape. 

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »
One thing is for sure we will not be signing any English/British players  in Jan.

We've already brought all the shit ones. I don't think we can afford the other lot.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »

Did GH have Benzema at Lyon?

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2010, 10:11:26 PM »
If we can pay Harewood 30k to never play and Beye 40k to never play and Heskey 55k to sit on the bench,

Then we can sure as hell pay Micheal Owen 40k to come and score goals of the bench!

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 11:00:41 PM »

Did GH have Benzema at Lyon?

Not sure about "have" <winky>  but If you mean play for him  at Lyon yes Benzema born and bred in Lyon came through their Youth system and played for them until his transfer to RM.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 11:06:30 PM »
If we can pay Harewood 30k to never play and Beye 40k to never play and Heskey 55k to sit on the bench,

Then we can sure as hell pay Micheal Owen 40k to come and score goals of the bench!
Would a better use of that £40k be a better, younger striker to come and score many more goals in our first team though?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 03:47:16 AM »
Has Flamini been involved in Milan's opening games does anyone know? I wonder if he has an opinion on Houllier or has any experience of how he works .

Online Karlos96

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 09:22:08 AM »
Has Flamini been involved in Milan's opening games does anyone know? I wonder if he has an opinion on Houllier or has any experience of how he works .

Flamimi hasn't played in the first two games wasn't on the bench either.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »
This is just lazy journalism. 

Just like when MON joined we were linked with anyone that played with him at Leicester or Celtic.

Like Petrov, Maloney, Sutton, Heskey...

Oh...

You know he'd never sign a player such as Agathe though.. Wait, scrap that..

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 09:36:10 AM »
I know there aren't that many of them at the moment, but can't we sign someone French and good? Youri Gourcuff will do..

Gourcuff has joined Lyon.

Offline supertom

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 10:23:48 AM »
Can't wait to see what defensive midfielder Houllier will sign. Someone of Hamann's ilk would be good. Really solid but with a good range of passing and the ability spank in a long ranger.

I would be certain Houll's will be in the market for such a player.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal