collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Ireland  (Read 9614 times)

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

Stephen Ireland
« on: September 11, 2010, 02:50:05 PM »
Stephen Ireland has the opportunity to become a beloved player for Villa under the guidance of GH.  For some reason however there doesn't seem to be any media coverage of Ireland of late.  He started to show "some life" against Everton.  I believe that he will start to "really come into his own" on Monday.  Am I kidding myself for thinking that Ireland may be the key to a return to Champions League football over the next couple of years?  Ireland has the ability to help A.Young/Albrighton/Gabby reach their full potential.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Stephen Ireland
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »
He needs to be given more license further forward. If we play the 4-1-4-1 with Petrov holding on his own then we a) don't keep the ball enough and b) he's forced to do too much defending, dropping deeper into areas he's not effective in. He's a final third player, rather than a tempo-setting player which has been the role he's been forced into so far. A bit more license and we should see the real Stephen Ireland.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:53:12 PM »
By 'some life' I presume you mean get injured in the warm up and not play?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »
It was a such a promising warm up it needed to be commented upon though.

Offline Mark H

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:13:57 PM »
To be fair he warmed up in front of us in the lower Holte and I must say it was exceptional and showed real promise - If he learns to warm up just a bit up field then I feel we will really see the player we wanted warming up !!!

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
 S.I not the sort of player to take a game by the scruff of the neck & lead the younger players imo, but a player who with other good solid players around him, will have licence to make those good runs into the oppositions box and make or score goals. kind of D. Platt-ish in style. 

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »
With the pace we have in the side we need someone to 'play them in'
Petrov is an intelligent footballer but cannot be relied upon to stop the opposition
Ireland is just the kind of player we need to unleash Ash and Gabby with quality balls-good spotting of runs etc

For me he has to play in behind the striker(s) with a defensivly minded midfielder to catch the play behind him.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
I've noticed that when talking of "Stephen Ireland" it is considered de rigeur to use "quotation marks", I'm glad to see my fellow "H&Vers" are up to date with "verbal fashions".

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »
By 'some life' I presume you mean get injured in the warm up and not play?

In retrospect, it was a lame attempt at humour.

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 04:04:38 PM »
I've noticed that when talking of "Stephen Ireland" it is considered de rigeur to use "quotation marks", I'm glad to see my fellow "H&Vers" are up to date with "verbal fashions".

I'm glad to see that some football fans are "catching on" to the style that I've used over the decades :)

Offline myf

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
Stephen Ireland has the opportunity to become a beloved player for Villa under the guidance of GH.  For some reason however there doesn't seem to be any media coverage of Ireland of late.  He started to show "some life" against Everton.  I believe that he will start to "really come into his own" on Monday.  Am I kidding myself for thinking that Ireland may be the key to a return to Champions League football over the next couple of years?  Ireland has the ability to help A.Young/Albrighton/Gabby reach their full potential.

I thought he was injured for the Everton game?

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
Once he's fully fit I think he'll be great.

We need to get the right combo of central players. I'd go with Petrov, NRC/Delph and Ireland slightly ahead of them.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 09:26:35 PM »
Nothing has changed, Ireland will eventually play just off Gabby imo and will be an excellent player for us.

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 02:00:55 AM »
I think that GH is an excellent mentor for Ireland.  I think that Ireland will be outstanding for us in the future.  Milner who?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 09:58:41 AM »
He's a good player but we haven't looked right with him in the team so far. The first challenge for Houllier when he arrives (in November) will to be sort out a way to accommodate him in the side.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal