collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Snooker by BC Villain
[Today at 10:30:06 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by The Moose
[Today at 10:15:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:10:53 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 10:10:08 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by The Moose
[Today at 10:06:04 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 10:04:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:02:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:01:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Managers' first Villa game.  (Read 3949 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Managers' first Villa game.
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:47:41 AM »
We don't actually know when M Houllier will take charge... but I'm starting this thread any way.

What are your memories of Villa managers' first games in charge?

I remember Venglos. Started season with a disappointing 1-1 home draw with Southampton. It didn't get much better.

BFR probably had the most memorable one. 2-0 down at his old club Wednesday came back to win 3-2 with three debutants scoring.

I think under Sir Brian we drew 1-1 at home to Wednesday.

Gregory enjoyed a Collymore-inspired 2-0 win over Liverpool.

Have forgotten Graham Taylor's first game of his second spell.

O'Dreary treated us to a 2-1 defeat at newly-promoted Portsmouth, Berger played well and scored for them. Mellberg was, unfathomably, dropped and Barry got sent off for saying 'cheat'. Like Wayne Rooney does every week and never gets sent off for it.

No Deal started with an impressive, if somewhat jammy, 1-1 draw in the first game at the Emirates Stadium. It was the first game of a spell that was bound to end with us resuming our rightful place as the dominant force in World football. Oh well.

Online Deano's Mullet

Re: Managers' first Villa game.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »
Graham Taylor's first match in charge during his second spell was at home to Liverpool on a "Super Sunday" televised match - we lost 1-0 to a Riise goal.

I remember Brian Little's first match vs Wednesday very well. Atkinson gave us the lead and Peter Atherton equalized with a dipping 30 yarder. Middle of November and there was Tangoman as usual showing off his top half in the away section. SKY did an interview with him before the game and it turned out he lived in Wolverhampton.

Gregory's game was indeed Liverpool and we won that 2-1 with both goals coming from Collymore. This was also the game in which he tried to kill Bjornebye if i recall correctly....?

I was on holiday at Blackpool Pleasure Beach when we drew 1-1 at Arsenal in MON's first goal. I will always remember being in the queue for the Pepsi Max when Mellberg scored and on the Grand National Rollercoaster when the bastards got an inevitable late late equalizer.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
That second GT match I watched in a small pub in Galway with a fucking Irish Liverpool fan and his young lad. I smoked about forty fags and got pissed on Guiness. Very depressing and very much bound to happen.

Conversely, that Gregory game was awesome. It really felt like it we might have found a gem of a manager.

As for O'Neill, I think I listened to that on Villa Talk (our short-lived internet radio station) and pacing up and down and knowing Arsenal would equalise. It was a great result, considering it was their first league game there.

The O'Leary Pompey game I watched at home on Sky with my Grandad. He left after Portsmouth scored their second and I'd drunk so much I went mental and wrecked the living room and kitchen. Apparently my neighbour was going to call the police because he thought I'd gone insane. I must have done, I suppose.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:01 AM »
Christ, supporting Villa hasn't exactly been good for your health and well-being curiousorange.

Offline luke25

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:01:18 AM »
Aaaagh my heads playing tricks on me now, I was convinced Taylors first game of his second spell was a 1-1 draw at home to Chelsea, i can't even remember that Liverpool game at all for some reason

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »
Aaaagh my heads playing tricks on me now, I was convinced Taylors first game of his second spell was a 1-1 draw at home to Chelsea, i can't even remember that Liverpool game at all for some reason

you know you are quite right - he joined half way through the previous season didnt he? Forget what i said, it was Chelsea at home and Merse scored in a 1-1 draw. It took 3-4 games for him to finally register a win and that was a last minute victory over West Ham when Vassell tapped in a Samuel cross.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »
Nothing will ever beat BFR's first game. 

Not just the come-back and the final score, but the fact we were playing at the club he'd just left.  A unique mix of ingredients.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 04:21:59 PM »
Christ, supporting Villa hasn't exactly been good for your health and well-being curiousorange.

If a person had treated me as shabbily as Villa have over the years, I'd be doing seventeen years in Winson Green.

Offline Richie

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
Any one remember the first game of Sir Graham's first spell in charge ?

A 1-1 draw at Ipswich in the old Second Division - we must have took a few thousand that day. I remember Villa fans climbing over the wall to get in behind the goal. And it was red hot as well.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »
Nothing will ever beat BFR's first game. 

Not just the come-back and the final score, but the fact we were playing at the club he'd just left.  A unique mix of ingredients.

Correct - that day had it all, beautiful weather included.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal