collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What we have lost having been thrown out of Europe  (Read 10833 times)

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
Re: What we have lost having been thrown out of Europe
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »
As Gustav Sebes, the Hungarian coach of their Golden Team in the '50s, said: "when the story of our football is told, [Jimmy Hogan's] name should be spelled out in gold letters". Almost all of the crucial developments in the history of football can be dated back to Hogan, who as Dave says remains largely unknown in the UK despite his global significance. English football still isn't listening to Jimmy, which is funny because every time England lose to Italy, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Russia, Croatia, Portugal or indeed Hungary, it can be said to be indirectly because of Hogan's teaching; indeed, with Germany, our most constant conquerors, the link is strongest, as he is known as the father of German football among the coaching fraternity over there.

I'm facebooking that!

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
Malcolm Boyden's books

Brum's The Word?

I get a mention in that book

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
Malcolm Boyden's books

Brum's The Word?

I get a mention in that book

Things are suddenly starting to make sense. See edit.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
To this day, the Match of the Century as it is still a referred to, is a tribute to the work of Jimmy Mullen.

The famous Wembley game of 1953 was both a major strategic and tactical watershed in the sport, subject to acres of newsprint, informative scholarship and introspective self-analysis that has taken on a near mythical station in football lore — presumably being the 20th century's most influential match ever played in England.

After the match, Sándor Barcs, then president of the Hungarian Football Federation, said to the press, "Jimmy Hogan taught us everything we know about football."

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »
To this day, the Match of the Century as it is still a referred to, is a tribute to the work of Jimmy Mullen.

The famous Wembley game of 1953 was both a major strategic and tactical watershed in the sport, subject to acres of newsprint, informative scholarship and introspective self-analysis that has taken on a near mythical station in football lore — presumably being the 20th century's most influential match ever played in England.

After the match, Sándor Barcs, then president of the Hungarian Football Federation, said to the press, "Jimmy Hogan taught us everything we know about football."

Quick Friday quiz and yes, there is a prize. What else of great importance happened on the day Hungary beat England? PM me by 4pm.   

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »

Quick Friday quiz and yes, there is a prize. What else of great importance happened on the day Hungary beat England? PM me by 4pm.   

PM sent:  where's me prize?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »

Too slow Bren, I beat you to it although you'll probably still win as I can't see Dave coughing up the postage to send me my prize. (winky)

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »

Too slow Bren, I beat you to it although you'll probably still win as I can't see Dave coughing up the postage to send me my prize. (winky)

Who's Jimmy Mullen?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
Nice pics Archie.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
And VCTM won the prize. It was, indeed, the day Brian Little was born. 

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
At least I got the right answer.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »
Only the other day I was thinking why does a manager need to understand the importance of our rich history, can't we just focus on the present and future. Maybe I was getting bored with the historic club tag, something that maybe a millstone around our neck.

Seeing Archie's photo of the postcard is a timely reminder that we are a very special club and Jimmy Hogan was more special than most. It's just a shame he never gets the credit he deserves. Apart from being the architect behind the Match of the Century, it's also worth mentioning that six months later, the Hungarians gave England their biggest ever defeat to date, beating them 7-1.

Nice one Archie.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »
Great pictures, Archie. I look forward to meeting you and other Latin Lions on our next European trip next season (and at Villa Park before that).

Offline eastie

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »
Great pics archie , much as I don't like him
I don't blame mon so much for being out of Europe this year - kmac should carry the can for the team he picked- guzan is just totally out of his depth at that level .

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 02:17:36 PM »
Good post Archie. Look forward to meeting Silvano, yourself and other Latin Lions when you come over for a game. Pub will be sorted as usual.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal