collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What we have lost having been thrown out of Europe  (Read 10832 times)

Offline Archie

What we have lost having been thrown out of Europe
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
For the second year in a row, courtesy of Mr O'Neill, we have been thrown out of Europe by an average Austrian team.

While I hope that Mr Houllier will help us to overcome this strange idyosyncrasy for Europe, I would like to stress which are the aspects of the European adventure that I'llmiss more.

1 - The pleasure to meet up your fellow  Villa fans, in some cosy beerhouse of some smart European capital.   

(in the pic, from right to left: Pauline, John, Howard and Frank)

John is a true Villa's encyclopaedia, he can remember without any problem or effort the score of a Third Division game in 1971-72.
Frank is  a great friend of us, he is always willing to give us a tip about a pub where to go for a couple of pre/post match couple of beers in Newcastle, in Prague, or whenever he followed the Villa in the last 30 years.
Legends!     :D

2 - The possibility to discover tranquil and beautiful places in the cities where Villa play.

(the biergarten are a must in Vienna)

3 - The emotion to wear proudly the claret and blue shirt in a stadium painted with the home team colours.

4 - The joy to breathe a bit of fresh air seeing our youngsters in action.

5 - The possibility of sneaking into the tunnel to take some incredible pics just after the game.

(The Fonz)

(Cjeran Clark)

(Shaune Lawry)

(James Collins Jr)

6 - The pleasure of dawdling (if dawdling is the word that I search, not sure though) without hurry through the centre of a beautiful, old, aristocratic European Capital.

8 - The satisfaction to visit the stadium and the museum of our opponents' bitter rivals, finding out a beautiful Aston Villa memorabilia.

Europe, I'll miss you!  :-[

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: What we have lost having been thrown out of Europe
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »
Archie, do you know the story of Jimmy Hogan (the writer of the postcard)?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:44:22 AM »
Was it Jimmy who had our lads playing 'finger football' on that old Pathe news reel?

Offline Archie

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
Dave, he's before my time, I have read something on wikipedia, but if you have some further information I'd be much interested to know it, thanks.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
Excellent pictures, thanks Archie.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »
He was the epitome of the saying: " A prophet is without honour in his own country." He began coaching on the Continent before World War One, was interned in Austria at the outbreak of hostilities, then forced to coach in Hungary. This led to him being regarded as a traitor in some quarters back home and he returned to coach in Austria and Germany, although he was also manager of Fulham for a while.

He became Villa manager in 1936 and was reckoned to have been putting together a potentially title-winning side when World War II started. Villa closed down almost immediately, and Jimmy was left unemployed, which left him very bitter as other clubs had continued to operate. After the war he coached Celtic, then returned during the fifties to coach the Villa youth side - which led to the Mercer Minors. In 1953 he tooka  group of them to watch Hungary beat England at Wembley, as he knew they would be watching something special. His last public appearance was at the 1970 League Cup semi-final and he died in 1974, aged 91. Sir Matt Busby called him a football legend, while Eric Houghton described him as "A great man in every way."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:08:45 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
There was a good book on Jimmy Hogan published a few years ago. The cover was claret and blue. Written by Nornan Fox ( Ex Times journalist?)

Roy Hodgson of his day? better repsected abriad than in this country

fascinating story.

Jesus, just noticed it's going for £75 on Amazon. I'll have tio dig mine out and flog it
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:08:52 PM by Chico Hamilton III »

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »
There was a good book on Jimmy Hogan published a few years ago. The cover was claret and blue. Written by Nornan Fox ( Ex Times journalist?)

fascinating story
Similarities with William Garbutt 'The Father of Italian football.'

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 12:06:37 PM »
That's a good story. It's easy to think that pan-European coaching is a modern thing.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »
Agreed
We have also lost the chance to give all the youngsters a taste of European footie and vital experience
cheers MON

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »
As Gustav Sebes, the Hungarian coach of their Golden Team in the '50s, said: "when the story of our football is told, [Jimmy Hogan's] name should be spelled out in gold letters". Almost all of the crucial developments in the history of football can be dated back to Hogan, who as Dave says remains largely unknown in the UK despite his global significance. English football still isn't listening to Jimmy, which is funny because every time England lose to Italy, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Russia, Croatia, Portugal or indeed Hungary, it can be said to be indirectly because of Hogan's teaching; indeed, with Germany, our most constant conquerors, the link is strongest, as he is known as the father of German football among the coaching fraternity over there.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:12:04 PM by Monty »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
Great photos Archie. That Jimmy Hogan postcard is priceless. Ironic it should appear the week we appoint a new manager. With all due respect to GH, Hogan is exactly the type of manager we need now and his methods would still make MON's look like they came from the Stone Age.

I'm sure Dave will fill you in on the details. There's a great chapter on Hogan in his book McMullan to O'Leary. Well worth a read.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »

fascinating story.

Jesus, just noticed it's going for £75 on Amazon. I'll have tio dig mine out and flog it

SEVENTY FIVE QUID???? Oh dear Lord.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 12:17:19 PM »
SEVENTY FIVE QUID? Oh dear Lord.

I know

mine was given to me by our mutual friend at The Times and I kept it in the bog while I read it. God knows what I've done with it

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
I got mine at the joint launch with Malcolm Boyden's Brum's the Word, currently available used for a penny. I know where that one is, no bloody problem. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:23:05 PM by dave.woodhall »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal