collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: From our Merseyside correspondent  (Read 12354 times)

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
Re: From our Merseyside correspondent
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »
You read a piece like that and you're reminded that football fans at most other clubs are having exactly the same discussions, arguments & criticisms about their club that you do about ours. Funny old game.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 07:41:14 PM »
Very interesting, well written article. Thanks for posting.

Offline supertom

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »
I think we've got enough individually gifted players to entertain us, I hope. Add GH's organisation and more technical style, and I don't think we'll suffer too much watching the team. I'm still expecting, at home at least, an improvement on Martins style. Away, we'll see.

His record was as good as Benetiz's. Really, what Benetiz had and what gave him a lot of leighway with many liverpool fans, was the Champs League, as opposed to the Uefa that Houllier snagged. Benetiz didn't have them playing great football. Again, his problem was trying to have them play like a Spanish side in the Prem league. It didn't work, didn't particularly get them close to winning a title. And last season for them was a bigger cock up than anything Houllier delivered.

Online jembob

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:18 PM »
If MON joined the Barcodes they would all be delighted and we would probably be telling them why they'll be pissed of with him in 3 or 4 years time. Nevertheless MON would be ideal for them and would improve them over the course of 3 years. That's what he does - he improves mediocre teams, but the past 12 months proved he wasn't capable of taking Villa to the highest of levels.
Houllier could just have a similar role to play for us. That is to help us kick on to the next level and while he may not be the manager capable of landing us the biggest of prizes, he will help to raise the club up to the next level. If he can get us into the CL over the next 3 years and win a couple of cups then that will be his part played and we would move on to the next level of manager.
With the benefit of hindsight, MON was never going to establish us as a top 4 team but he did raise the club from mediocrity to knocking on the door of the CL and gave us back some credibility. Job done. So long and thanks for the good memories you judas.
Houllier's job will be to help the club evolve further again to the next level. He won't win us the Premiership or CL but he will develop the club ready for the next manager to do something special. It's evolution and not revolution.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »
I actually enjoyed that article. We could do with a brooming of a few of players. I quite like the sound of more transfers and winning stuff. I also would like to see us make Trevor F R A N C I S cry - again, even if I actually like him as a commentator. Even if his teams won't be Arsenal or Barca any time soon, what I would like for us to do is go the extra step and know how to get it done. Something we ain't done in a good while.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »
It was a good read. I just wonder if he'll last the three years of his contract.*

*Obviously not referring to his health.

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 08:23:01 PM »
That article is going to be selectively cut and paste for weeks to come!

Very interesting and quite rounded read for me. Football "writing" rather than football "journalism".

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »
It was a good read. I just wonder if he'll last the three years of his contract.*

*Obviously not referring to his health.

If he does, then I would hope that we have shiny stuff to be proud of. What I am looking forward to us remaining competitive as we were under MON, but having some new faces coming in the January window to not only keep us there, but finish off a few deals. Everyone knows that for the past few years come March we were gassed. I hope that changes because we have more legs and those legs have been rotated properly.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 08:31:22 PM »
Good read. I'd be interested to read it again this time next year.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:43 PM »
I don't remember them being that much more entertaining under Benitez to be honest.  He lived off that lucky win in Istanbul for five years.

Offline John Mitchell

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »
I also would like to see us make Trevor F R A N C I S cry - again, even if I actually like him as a commentator.

You like him as a commentator? Are you on crack?

Offline sfx412

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »
Somebody has already said Houllier is a French Martin O'Neill

did he win 3 cups in a season then ?
I know he's never quit the club he managed 5 days before the season kicked off, either

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »
I also would like to see us make Trevor F R A N C I S cry - again, even if I actually like him as a commentator.

no, I genuinely like him as a commentator. He's usually very complimentary about us and generally gives a very balanced reading of the game. I really don't like Ekoku and Wobbie Earle by comparison.

Online dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 10:54:13 PM »

no, I genuinely like him as a commentator. He's usually very complimentary about us and generally gives a very balanced reading of the game. I really don't like Ekoku and Wobbie Earle by comparison.

I totally agree there tv.
I have always found Francis to give a good honest assessment on any of our games. If anything, a slightly biased view in our favour?

Christ knows why with all the abuse the bloke used to get from us.

Offline Perry Barr Pet

• GM : 15.08.2019
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 11:25:52 PM »

I totally agree there tv.
I have always found Francis to give a good honest assessment on any of our games. If anything, a slightly biased view in our favour?

Christ knows why with all the abuse the bloke used to get from us.

Or, as someone once described it, 'the adenoidal ramblings of Beelzebub'.....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal