collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I don't want Staunton. Not that there is any evidence of that happening.  (Read 13717 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: I don't want Staunton. Not that there is any evidence of that happening.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 09:50:15 PM »
I know, but even though he came back I think the return to Liverpool was somewhat seen as a betrayal of sorts at the time. He was a top footballer, and we talk Tommy's left peg, but in my opinion it couldn't do Stan's could. Brilliant at crossing the ball, corners, free kicks and shooting from open play. He wasn't the best defensive left back ever to have played, but he could defend, and scored some absolute belters in a Villa kit. I wouldn't have any issue if came here as a coach to learn his trade.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »
A class player, maybe a bit lazy in his first season but between 1992-95 he was terrific. He scored twice direct from corners, once at Wimbledon and the following season home to Palace. One of the few to earn his keep in 94/95 when he pretty much played on the left wing. Vital player during the relegation battle, so many of his crosses led to goals for Deano, Fashanu etc and he scored at Norwich on the final day. Missed most of 95/96 through injury then spent the next two years playing as a centre back. I was delighted when he came back for a second spell and he didnt disappoint.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 10:49:13 PM »
Staunton gave absolutely everything to the cause in his 300+ games for Villa, and I'm sure he'd give us his all if he came back as coach as well.
I'm struggling to think of a better leftback the Villa have had than Stan in the last 25 years, he was that good a player for us.
I just don't understand the ill feeling some fans have for him. He was an excellent player for us, and was just as hard working in his second spell at the club as well.

Offline cb

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 12:07:22 AM »
I don't want him anywhere near our club. As far as I'm concerned he's the Irish Steve H#dge

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 02:47:14 AM »
cb, I note that you've become something of a celebrity over on the F365 letters page.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 02:52:08 AM »
I don't want him anywhere near our club. As far as I'm concerned he's the Irish Steve H#dge

Fair enough if that is your opinion, but I think that is extremely harsh.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 02:57:42 AM »
From what I've read about Stan, and heard people say, he's very much a Villa man and can be seen down Villa Park quite often I believe.

Doesn't he also play for the Old Boys?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 06:14:45 AM »
Aye.

Plays for the Old Stars and still lives in the area (Lichfield, I believe).

Understandable the pull Liverpool has for him having started his career there. Think he has family there too.

But he gave plenty in a Villa shirt, and that's all that counts.

Comparing him to Hodge is horseshit.

Offline cb

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »
Aye.

Understandable the pull Liverpool has for him having started his career there. Think he has family there too.

Really. He's a traitor for club and country. As soon as Liverpool came calling, he couldn't help but fall over himself to leave and when it all went pear shaped he came crawling back and picked up a huge wage for doing F. all. I'm not buying this idea that he gave his all when he came back; if that was his all then he's wasn't up to much. As proven by his Ireland experience he's a coaching and management disaster.  If he does come back, he'll probably be able to hide behind other peoples competence, but  I don't want the ****** anywhere near our club. Let him go and try his luck at Liverpool, where we know his heart really lies...

Offline cb

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 07:50:19 AM »
cb, I note that you've become something of a celebrity over on the F365 letters page.

I don't frequent that site, so I have absolutely no idea, what you're talking about! Still, if I'm becoming a celebrity, maybe I can give a lucrative interview in Hello sometime!!! ;)

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »
Aye.

Really. He's a traitor for club and country. As soon as Liverpool came calling, he couldn't help but fall over himself to leave and when it all went pear shaped he came crawling back and picked up a huge wage for doing F. all. I'm not buying this idea that he gave his all when he came back; if that was his all then he's wasn't up to much. As proven by his Ireland experience he's a coaching and management disaster.  If he does come back, he'll probably be able to hide behind other peoples competence, but  I don't want the c*** anywhere near our club. Let him go and try his luck at Liverpool, where we know his heart really lies...
My word your posts make my brain melt. How is he a traitor for his country exactly? Because he was very poor at his job? Smashing hyperbole there, well done.
And Villa traitor? So by that do you mean that anyone leaving on a free is a traitor, or is it just irish players that you have some irrational hatred of?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
I was watching the training up at BH the one day and this really annoying bloke was earholing me about how he knew everything  that went on at Villa as he was big mates with Staunton, he had in his hand a letter for HDE, and as the players jogged around the perimeter he shouted out 'Steve mate, take this inside for Doug will ya'

'No, and for the last time, fuck off' came the reply.  I usually cant abide rudeness but I made an exception in this case.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
I am absolutely stunned at some of the comments on this thread and seeing as I was asked to justify my 'anyone but him' thread here goes;

The first 'British to British' Bosman lead us a merry dance for twelve months or more before the inevitable 'I' should never have gone to Villa', 'I would walk back to Merseyside comments'.

Hang your heads in shame!

Aren't there any Villa 'through and through' men anymore.

Just because the 'professionals' are allowed to have no loyalty doesn't mean that we should settle for acceptance of whatever shit they choose to dish out to those of us remaining who pay their wages year in year out.

He was banned from our coach to Wembley this spring. I'd have rather walked there than spent the journey in his company.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
I may be a bit harsh, but I did always get the impression that he was at Villa just until something better came along.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
I sort of get what you mean, but pretty much any time he put on a Villa shirt he never let us down.

In that final season it was obvious to most that he was winding down his contract and looking to make full use of the new legislation. Yet he was still one of our most consistent performers.

His second stint was solid, never really hitting the heights of the first. Way down on assets and the more spectacular parts of his game.

But a player who gave the club close to a decades service between two spells deserves a bit more respect than being compared to Stephen fcuking H0dge.

Liverpool were always a big pull for him and given a straight choice he chose them (though he did turn them down in 94 TBF). That makes us feel like the jilted lover, understandably so. And why he'll probably never be viewed with huge affection by most Villa fans. But he has often gone on record saying how much the club means to him and how he still likes to keep in touch with what's going on. So if the Redscouse come first we come a very close second.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal