collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: From now to next May your expectations  (Read 35586 times)

Offline sfx412

Re: From now to next May your expectations
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »
Is it not fair to expect little from the new man, Initially,  partly because of the poor timing of the previous managers exit, his smallish squad.
The huge spend used to achieve it may, it seem, be restricting what further spend is available, certainly while we continue to have large wage earners on board.
If Mon's major achievement as Chris suggests was 6th after such a big spend and 4 seasons on the job, I'd assume with no spend for some time, 6th really would be an achievement and one the Blessed Mon obviously didn't fancy taking on.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 12:14:45 PM »
I predict it will surpass expectations for some and be disappointing for others.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
I predict it will surpass expectations for some and be disappointing for others.

Very true :)

Offline Dan England

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »
Top eight will be a reasonable shout. Potentially pushing top 6 if a little money is spent in January. Hopefully the exit of MON means we might remedy our awful post christmas form of the last couple of years.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 12:34:45 PM »
As the O'Neill Hate Brigade constantly informed us that sixth wasn't good enough = failure, presumably the new management team will have a minimum target of fifth place.

Some good cup runs would be nice -though even here, some regard a final appearance as another sign of 'failure'. Their definitions obviously don't match mine.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I expect Malcolm's knife will be in Gerard's back before the Christmas decorations come down.

Far from it.  Malcolm HAS to like Houllier.  It's pre-programmed.  He will think the sun shines out of his arse.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
If Houllier is appointed, I think he will make a lot of changes -- tactically, organizational and structural -- and this will probably lead to some disruption. I believe there is some risk that this will bring underwhelming performances and results in the short term (but hopefully benefits in the longer term). My guess: somewhere between 6th and 10th -- depending on how long the team need to adjust to the new manager (and his staff).

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 01:01:59 PM »
If Houllier is appointed, I think he will make a lot of changes -- tactically, organizational and structural -- and this will probably lead to some disruption. I believe there is some risk that this will bring underwhelming performances and results in the short term (but hopefully benefits in the longer term). My guess: somewhere between 6th and 10th -- depending on how long the team need to adjust to the new manager (and his staff).

Since one of the criteria for the new manager is supposed to be how they'd get the best out of the current set up I guess we could hope the disruption will be mimimal.

Offline levico

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »
I think scoring goals will be our biggest challenge. With Houllier we'll probably have many 0-0 draws and I expect us to finish in the bottom half. Cup runs need the luck of the draw so who knows?

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »
Everton is our par.. finish above them, we've done well. Finish below them we've finished +1.

The top three will be: Chelsea/Man Citeh/Man Utd
Followed by: Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs.
Then: Us, Everton...and the rest.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »
Everton is our par.. finish above them, we've done well. Finish below them we've finished +1.

The top three will be: Chelsea/Man Citeh/Man Utd
Followed by: Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs.
Then: Us, Everton...and the rest.

I'd say the Man City team is still gelling and not top 3 yet. I'd be suprised at us being higher than 6th, but it's still doable, but toally gutted if lower than 8th, which will be a big failure.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 01:29:54 PM »
We will win both domestic cups and finish 3rd - Woy Hodgson gets the sack as Liverpool implode just avoiding releagtion despite reaching the Europa Cup Final.

Houllier and Thompson depart from Villa to rejoin Liverpool.

MON says sorry to Randy and returns with Robertson et al - the circle of life goes on

:o

Online Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »
I think it's too early to be making any concrete predictions, other than that Man U and Chelsea will be in the top 2 or 3.  Question marks exist against all the other usual suspects:-

Man City - how and when will they gel?
Liverpool - Has Roy actually improved the side that finished 7th?
Arsenal - still the same weaknesses as last few years and star player doesn't want to be there.
Spurs - remains to be seen how they cope with the double demands of CL and PL football
Everton - stated poorly again

That's whay we can and need to stay in the mix until January, where you have to imagine we'll be quite active in the market.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »
An improved home record. Made a winning (if not entirely convincing) start at home without the previous manager around.

Online Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
An improved home record. Made a winning (if not entirely convincing) start at home without the previous manager around.

Yet that will only benefit us if we can do it AND maintain our away record.  And without the previous manager around we got hammered in an away game we probably wouldn't have lost!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal