collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why the long faces about Houllier?  (Read 53730 times)

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
Re: Why the long faces about Houllier?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »
Why the long faces about Houllier?

I don't think people are overwhelmingly negative about a possible Houllier appointment. I had expected people to be more sceptical, especially since his most obvious weakness is his record in the transfer market, which is one of the factors most fans have a lot of opinions about.

I would have prefered Sven, because I think he has about the same amount of technical expertise and tactical knowledge, but is a better operator in the tranfer market. However, it is possible to imagine why the board would prefer Houllier -- maybe he comes across as a person who is interested into building something, whereas Sven seems more like a journeyman manager.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »
Get Harewood in as the manager.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »
Its the potential appointment of him being only a DoF or technical director thats a problem for me.

Just such a shit way of doing things IMO, i'd almost rather Curbishley than that.

according to some report i was reading apparently he's being blamed in france for the downfall of french football

Surely the spoilt cu*ts that play for them should be to blame?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
I'd be fine with him as manager, as I've said on another thread. He's won trophies in different countries

Well apart than here, he's won trophies in France, but that's about it as other countries go.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »
Well England and France are two different countries. He also helped build a very good Lyon side.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »
Well England and France are two different countries. He also helped build a very good Lyon side.

He certainly continued to bring success to Lyon. I wouldn't say he built the side. You have to remember he took over from a Paul Le Guen team that had won the previous 4 French titles, and Houllier kept that going by winning the next two.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »

The managers we appoint, are like the players who we should be buying.......hungry/something to prove/one step up.

Players like AYoung/Milner/Delph.....players/managers who can play/manage at the very top level, and hopefully they can advance the club foward at the same time.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »
I think it's quite well known that Houllier believes he has unfinished business with the Premier League, so he would be hungry.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 03:27:29 PM »
Raymond Domenech is slightly more responsible for the current state of French football than Houllier.  Blaming Ged for it is on a par with pointing the finger at Darth Vader for 9/11.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 03:27:41 PM »
I think it's quite well known that Houllier believes he has unfinished business with the Premier League, so he would be hungry.

I certainly think he has a point left to prove. A lot of Liverpool fans have respect for what he did, and partly down the health he left under a cloud. I'm sure there is a lot of motivation in there to restore some of his reputation.

Offline EmileHefty

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
GH would be ok as manager.  At least if we somehow make it into Europe GH may have the team selection and tactical skills to beat our new derby rivals Rapid Vienna when we draw them again in the play off qualifier game. 

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
Its all good and well saying get a young manager in but who is there?

I think he is the best of a bad bunch

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »

McCleish

I'd also rather take a risk on Koeman or Donadoni but thats obviously not going to happen.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »

McCleish

I'd also rather take a risk on Koeman or Donadoni but thats obviously not going to happen.

Koeman has a horrendous managerial record.  Donadoni's isn't much better.

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »

McCleish

Koeman has a horrendous managerial record.  Donadoni's isn't much better.

I'm aware he doesn't have the best record, but i'm of the opinion that we're not going to get champions league football any time soon with the top 4 and spurs/man city's respective superior squads and bigger budgets.

So we might as well go for a big name in european football who will bring good football and quality players to the club, therefore making us a club thats exciting to watch and probably achieve a trophy or two.

Koeman could do that, i'm not all that familiar with Donadoni but i'd like us to take a risk on young/foreign manager, if hes got a good standing in the game, i.e hes managed Italy in a major tournament, rather than someone like Martinez who's managed Swansea and Wigan.

McCleish would be my first choice, then probably Sven.

I'm not campaigning for Koeman or Donadoni, would just prefer to take a risk on them rather than someone like Houllier.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal