collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why the long faces about Houllier?  (Read 53601 times)

Offline Gaztonniller

Why the long faces about Houllier?
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »
Hearing/ seeing one or two underwhelming comments from fans about the possible appointment of GH as the new Villa boss. But digging into his managerial history, can anyone really argue against a manager with a record such as this.

Awards
Houllier has been awarded the Légion d'honneur for his services to French football, and an honorary OBE for services to British football, along with fellow manager, compatriot and friend Arsène Wenger.

[edit] Club honours
 PSG
1 × French League: 1985–86
 Liverpool
1 × UEFA Cup: 2000-01
1 × UEFA Super Cup: 2001
1 × FA Cup: 2000-2001
2 × Football League Cup: 2000-2001, 2002-03
1 × FA Community Shield: 2001
 Lyon
2 × French League: 2005-06, 2006–07
2 × Champions Trophy: 2005, 2006
[edit] International honours
[edit]  France
1996 European Under-19 Football Championship
[edit] See also
List of UEFA Cup winning managers

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

Re: Why the long faces about Houllier?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:01:27 PM »
Its the potential appointment of him being only a DoF or technical director thats a problem for me.

Just such a shit way of doing things IMO, i'd almost rather Curbishley than that.

according to some report i was reading apparently he's being blamed in france for the downfall of french football

Online DrGonzo

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:08:57 PM »
Where is there any suggestion that Houllier is being appointed as a Director of Football?  They are looking fo a manager. I have no problem with Houllier he's been around the block and he's famous for bringing through good young players, why do you think Arsene likes him so much? Give him a whirl I say.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:15:06 PM »
Houiller sounds too much like a like a stop gap appointment to me. I'd like someone a bit younger and enthusiastic personally.

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »
We already owe him after he took Milan Baros off our hands in exchange for John Carew.

Thank God the Transfer Window's shut for now, though.

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 12:21:01 PM »
Where is there any suggestion that Houllier is being appointed as a Director of Football?  They are looking fo a manager. I have no problem with Houllier he's been around the block and he's famous for bringing through good young players, why do you think Arsene likes him so much? Give him a whirl I say.

its all over the internet on news reports

no quotes, but theres no quotes to say he'll take over at all either.

Offline abc123cox

• Villa-Till-I-Die
    • UPtheVILLA Aston Vilal Fans, News and Banter page
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »
Houllier would be fine with me as a MANAGER (not as director of football)

just give him the job on a 3year contract with a transfer budget from now till then to spend how he likes...

i'm sure we would all be very happy with this.

still think Sven would be best but Houllier would come in a close second!! but please please no DoF appointment! let KMac be his Assistant to learn the ropes of 1st team football!

Offline kevilla26

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
TBH id be pretty chuffed to have GH as the manager! And if we could have half the success Gh had with lpool i'd be chuffed to bits!!

like most people I am not in favour of a DOF , maybe this works on the continent but can anyone name tell me if its ever worked in the England? all it seems to do is cause problems,,, who picks the team? who buys the players?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »
He needs to appointed as MANAGER, none of this airy-fairy director of football nonsense.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
Houiller sounds too much like a like a stop gap appointment to me. I'd like someone a bit younger and enthusiastic personally.

Agreed, theres someone out there with all the qualities but yet to be seen, Houllier really doesnt appeal to me and never has...

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »
I'd be fine with him as manager, as I've said on another thread. He's won trophies in different countries and he is well respected throughout Europe. It might help broaden our horizons when looking for players.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
My concerns are his age- although to be fair I think Redknapps the same age- hes been away from English football for seven or eight years and I think he spent a lot of money at Liverpool, signed some expensive flops and had one really good season. And werent Lyon already established as the best team in France when he went there? Im sure Jol would fancy it, lets pay Ajax the compo they want.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »
Look at it this way, the Spanish think Liverpool are idiots for sacking rafa, it's ok looking from the outside, but when you see his managerial skills every week you know the truth.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »
My concerns are his age- although to be fair I think Redknapps the same age- hes been away from English football for seven or eight years and I think he spent a lot of money at Liverpool, signed some expensive flops and had one really good season. And werent Lyon already established as the best team in France when he went there? Im sure Jol would fancy it, lets pay Ajax the compo they want.

His age shouldn't be a problem, but I'd see a health report if I was Randy.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »
Its the potential appointment of him being only a DoF or technical director thats a problem for me.

Just such a shit way of doing things IMO, i'd almost rather Curbishley than that.

according to some report i was reading apparently he's being blamed in france for the downfall of french football

Wasn't he the manger when France failed to qualify for U.S.A 94 ? Ginola lost possesion and Bulgaria scored in the last minute to put them out,and Houllier publically slated Ginola,and there was a big fall out over it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal