collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Did you turn on Randy like a den of vipers?  (Read 28689 times)

Offline MadJohnnyC

Re: Did you turn on Randy like a den of vipers?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »
Do some of you not see that you are driving the best owners we could ever wish for out of the door? Just let them all get on with the appointment in peace for christsake. They have never let us down before.

Offline rogfromb6

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
What the General needs to remember is that the majority of us know a lot more about Villa and football than he ever will, so while he deserves our respect I am not going to be taken for a mug.

I suspect that most of us don't know more than the General about running a football club or what actually goes on when it comes to the mechanics of appointing a manager. You have an opinion as to who the next manager should be, that's all. If someone disagrees with you it doesn't mean they are taking you for a mug, they simply have a different view which could be in all liklihood be better informed because they are in possession of all the relevant facts.

Whoever is appointed we should continue to trust the board and at least give the manager a chance to see whether he's up to the job.

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »
I have always thought that Randy Lerner decided to buy Aston Villa as an investment.

Thinking long-term: perhaps he had an idea that it wouldn't be that long before a European League was formed; perhaps he also had another idea about making more money out of televising games from Villa Park involving the internet or a digital pay-to-view channel; perhaps he had a really wacky idea that club franchises can be moved around (Cleveland Villa might to our Randy have a particular resonance).

Thinking short-term: perhaps Randy saw the crash coming and wanted to get out of stocks and shares; perhaps he needed to shift some money out of the USA for tax purposes; perhaps he figured that buying a Premier League club was a copper-bottomed investment anyway.

Or perhaps he thought of buying Aston Villa and making them the top club in the world again.

As for the General: his business is PR. He's just not very good at it that's all.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:59:56 PM by ronshirt »

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »
Do some of you not see that you are driving the best owners we could ever wish for out of the door? Just let them all get on with the appointment in peace for christsake. They have never let us down before.

I think if RL and co made impulsive financial decisions based on the comments of a few on an internet message board they probably wouldn't be cut out for the role anyway.

Fortunately I don't think they are that flakey, so we're OK for a bit.

It's a testing time, MON leaving when he did was always going to have that effect.
There might be a few barbs and a few comments said in frustration. But I still think RL has the backing of the vast majority of Villa fans. A good chunk of that goodwill might erode with a duff appointment mind.

Even then -as we've seen at Manure, Newcastle and Liverpool- an owners decline in popularity doesn't automatically mean that they up sticks and move. If they think it's financially beneficial to still hang around they will.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »

I suspect that most of us don't know more than the General about running a football club or what actually goes on when it comes to the mechanics of appointing a manager. You have an opinion as to who the next manager should be, that's all.

Well said

I find the stupidity / arrogance and naivete or some people stunning. People just think it is as easy as rocking up to Everton or Ajax and simply 'take' their manager....why we are aston villa after all and our owner is a billionaire.

Like any business, look in from the outside and things look simple, when you examine the minutia things are seldom so easy

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 07:20:51 PM »
Randy has been great for the club, and it is true that MON left us in the shit by leaving us when he did, and that the board (probably) cannot be blamed for this. However

1. It should be understandable that fans are worried by the time it has taken to find a replacement.

2. When you switch from being one of the biggest spenders in Premier League to adopt a "sell to buy"-policy, it should be obvious that we need time to adjust our expectations. (Adding to this our relative inactivity in this transfer window.)

All in all, the General's comments seem a little thin-skinned.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »
I think Randy deserves respect for what he has done since he's been here.

Now were going through a tough time and its how he handles it now that will show his strength of character, I do feel for him. If Mon had walked in June when he should have then we would have had time to sort it out.

Were in a bit of a shit position where there isnt anyone good availiable. I seen someone on VT saying to the General grow some bollocks and get Moyes in!

In my opinion that is a stupid pathetic thing to say. Its not as easy as that and I think anyone with a brain knows that.

Only time will tell if randy has had enough of putting his money in. I suspect Jan will be the time to tell
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:24:55 PM by Phil from the upper holte »

Offline atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 07:40:04 PM »
No, I did not turn on Randy and on this site I did not see many do so. I saw concern and questions and under the circumstances that is fair and to be expected. I like the fact the General posts on the websites.

I am not sure I run with the 'you lot do not know how difficult it is...' line the General has used lately. I think 99% of H&V posters are aware it is hard to run a club but they have a board and advisors to deal with these issues. I think that much frustration comes from the boards need to keep things to themselves to ensure they can conduct themselves correctly and get on with the job in hand and our impatience to know things are happening.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 07:51:57 PM »
I think we are all VERY anxious at the moment, and some irrational things are said and mainly kind of 'heat of the moment'.

Every single Villa fan will have Randy over all other Chairmen in the league and we are all appreciative of General K's input here and elsewhere.

It's not a matter of 'turning on Randy like a den of vipers' - it's more 'we're in the dark here, we want to be informed and we want to know that our club is going to have a great season. We've suffered a crap transfer window when our best player was sold and then to top it all off. MON walks out on the club and the fans. All we want is a fresh start and to be looking forward to a great season, great future'.

We are fans, so it's human nature to be concerned, worried, anxious and, with teh board having no track record of appointing a Manager, a little concerned about who the Manager will be.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 07:59:37 PM »
I am amazed that nobody has commented on the hilarious irony of Mrs Overall starting a topic on vipers in the nest.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
If I ran the Villa I wouldn't be asking Alan Curbishley for an interview that's for certain.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »

I suspect that most of us don't know more than the General about running a football club or what actually goes on when it comes to the mechanics of appointing a manager. You have an opinion as to who the next manager should be, that's all.

Well said

I find the stupidity / arrogance and naivete or some people stunning. People just think it is as easy as rocking up to Everton or Ajax and simply 'take' their manager....why we are aston villa after all and our owner is a billionaire.

It's too easy to assume that's what people are saying though. It isn't.

There's a lot of intermediate space between suggesting we go and poach Martin Jol, and us appointing Curbishley, who - let's face it - would have been an uninspiring appointment four years ago, and in the time since then, has flopped at West Ham, then wound up on the dole.

I'm aware we're not going to get Moyes - why would he make a sideways move like this, at this point in the season (crucially). I also don't blame Jol for not wanting to leave Ajax with that tasty CL group they're involved in.

I do, however, think that some of the names mentioned in relation to us are not good enough for Aston Villa  , not by a country mile. The non-availability of messrs Jol and Moyes doesn't change that.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
I'm all for letting people have their say but there's a real element of Spoilt Bastard from Viz in this one. "Randy, you better blummin well get me David Moyes or I'm never going to Villa Park again you useless football club chairman."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:23:01 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 08:31:33 PM »
I'm all for letting people have their say but there's a real element of Spoilt Bastard from Viz in this one. "Randy, you better blummin well get me David Moyes or I'm never to Villa Park again you useless football club chairman."

And a significant amount of "you're cheap, you're about saving money" after four years of consistent investment and with no actual evidence that is the case.

See also the way "sell to buy" became an accepted truth in the transfers thread.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »

See also the way "sell to buy" became an accepted truth in the transfers thread.

And an accepted truth by Kmac?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal