collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Introducting a winter for the premier league  (Read 5408 times)

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Introducting a winter for the premier league
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »
I fail to see how a winter break would elliminate incompetence at the FA, or improve the attitude or reign in the gargantuan arrogance of those whose get picked on a regular basis for the national team, regardless of form.

Sort those two problems out and we might have a base from which to start.

Offline Simba

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 03:54:05 PM »
They would have to reduce the number of teams in the premiership to fit the season in. How many teams in the German, French for example?  But in tournamant years I think it a good idea. Players keep fit of course but it would reduce injuries and "burn out". Yes I know they are overpaid prima donnas but England were just finished in the WC and the players do appear to play much more games than their counterparts. Perhaps someone can research this.

The clubs, of course want the revenue and a reduction of games would not suit them.

I am (very) old school but think it a good idea. January.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
Football at Christmas is the only thing that keeps me sane that time of year.

No.

Offline atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »
No. I like the cold nights going to the game. That said I am a bit old school and tend to disagree with any changes to football. Even when I agree its a good idea I tend to disagree. Bah.

Offline Bigmelonface

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »

If the PL were to reduce the league to 18 clubs as they originally said they would, fitting in a winter break wouldn't be a problem. But that's not going to happen, is it Mr Scudamore?

Why would you want to reduce the size of the league?

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 08:48:26 PM »
I'm all for a winter break. Get the Christmas
Schedule done as no one wants to lose boxing day games. They're ace! Come January a two week break for players. They are athletes at the end of the day and that break will help them in the later stages of the league and maybe for national team tournaments.
BUT no team should be able to use the break as a means of jetting off for mini tournaments and ways to make money in far east Asia etc.
It needs to be strictly a player rest period. And all
Clubs should sign up to say they're not to use the winter break as a way to gain more revenue

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »
It needs to be strictly a player rest period. And all
Clubs should sign up to say they're not to use the winter break as a way to gain more revenue
Lovely idea midnite link, but can't see that happening. Actually, it's not a lovely idea either.

Throughout their Winterpause, German clubs go on training and go on playing games. It just happens that most of them tend to be indoors or in countries where they are less likely to be affected by adverse weather conditions.

If the players think a winter break over here means them getting to spend a few weeks on their (in Gareth Barry's case already considerable) arses, then they're severely mistaken and as stupid as they generally show themselves to be.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 11:41:36 PM »
A winter-break would be a good thing. PLay the Xmas fixtures and the FA Cup 3rd round in the 3rd week and have a break until first week in February.

One of the lost weeks could be played Easter Monday.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 12:26:44 AM »
No.

Although I would be amused to see the faces in PL boardrooms if the FA called their bluff and agreed to a break, but on the proviso that there would be points deductions for any club playing overseas friendlies during the duration of the break.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal