collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Andy Marshall  (Read 6299 times)

Online atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
Re: Andy Marshall
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 07:43:15 PM »
I can't believe I'm the first to say it...It's like having a new player!

Its like having a new old player.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
Should have put Parish as the third goalkeeper.
We should have had him as second choice and in the team v Rapid coz it looks like little Brad aint up to the job. His last few appearances have been pretty ropey.

Offline Bigmelonface

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 09:58:03 PM »
Hold up thy tayl, thou sathanas!--quod he;   
--shewe forth thyn ers, and lat the frere se

You are not allowed to use text speak on here please ban him :-))))

Offline Bigmelonface

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 10:06:17 PM »
Maybe so deej (and having studied The Pardoner's Prologue and Tale at A-Level a very distant 15 years ago now I know exactly what you mean about Chaucer and Middle English) but at the same time, I don't think this is a case of the language evolving so much as people just getting it plain wrong in an attempt to sound more intelligent. If anything, the increased (mis)use of the reflexive pronoun is actually happening as a result of the call centre generation's attempts to address others in a more formal manner and so, if anything, it would actually be a regression of the language, rather than its evolution, IF it were it being used correctly.

I had to speak to Experian today and sure enough I heard it again; "Yes, Mr M, I can confirm it was me that spoke with yourself". No, Darren, you spoke to me. It's ok. You don't have to try and address me as if I'm a member of the royal bloody family. Just another poor unfortunate who's having an argument with Vodafone and having to pay for the privilege to try and resolve it.

However, peter w giving the example of alright / all right is an interesting one as I'd have said the former was the accepted form (and was certainly the one I found in the text books when I was teaching English abroad) and that the latter was a more recent, more common, but incorrect development. However, every Google result I can find suggests that peter is indeed correct and my assumption was wrong.

So maybe it's just time I got down with yourselves and start speaking like the kids, innit.  :-\

It doesnt, matter, for myself if you can read it and understand it me is ok, its bad enough having to deal with the train fort,, of what is being, said without worrying about the grammor and punturetion. and your best off just letting it go,

If I asked you to write with your none writing hand you would find it very difficult.

Me, myself and I! aye.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
Who has given him a contract, KMc? I wonder why he wasn't trusted to sign other players then?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal