collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Andy Marshall  (Read 6296 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Andy Marshall
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:47 AM »

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
Re: Andy Marshall
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:09:55 AM »
So, we avoided paying our third choice keeper's wages during the Summer?

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »
That seems fair enough - we gave him the chance to look for first team football on the basis that if it didn't work out he could come back and as he says on the OS, it is a good chance to send Parish out on loan now.

What isn't quite clear is that I didn't think he was named in our 25 (22) man squad?

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:51:38 AM »
I like everything about that article apart from the last line:
There is still the cover having myself here in case anything happens with either of the Brads.
I suppose I should just accept that the increasing, incorrect use of the reflexive pronoun means that sooner or later it will become an accepted replacement for me / you / him, but at the moment, it still royally f**ks me off every single time. Note me, not myself!

I blame Talk Sport and SSN.

Offline peter w

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:39:41 AM »
There is still the cover having myself here in case anything happens with either of the Brads.
I suppose I should just accept that the increasing, incorrect use of the reflexive pronoun means that sooner or later it will become an accepted replacement for me / you / him, but at the moment, it still royally f**ks me off every single time. Note me, not myself!

Although I agree myself, others that annoy me are spelling all right, alright, the constant use of unconscious for subconscious - especially on the news, and people misusing the word celibate top the point that the meaning has altered to the incorrect one. It only meant being unmarried until the thick proleteriat used it for abstaining from shagging. Now we all have to accept iots misuse. I hate common people.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:53:48 AM »
What isn't quite clear is that I didn't think he was named in our 25 (22) man squad?
he wasnt, however, you can add free transfers into your 25 man squad as and when, as long as you haven space...

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »

Language evolves, which is a good thing because I have trouble understanding Chaucer:

Hold up thy tayl, thou sathanas!--quod he;   
--shewe forth thyn ers, and lat the frere se

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
Maybe so deej (and having studied The Pardoner's Prologue and Tale at A-Level a very distant 15 years ago now I know exactly what you mean about Chaucer and Middle English) but at the same time, I don't think this is a case of the language evolving so much as people just getting it plain wrong in an attempt to sound more intelligent. If anything, the increased (mis)use of the reflexive pronoun is actually happening as a result of the call centre generation's attempts to address others in a more formal manner and so, if anything, it would actually be a regression of the language, rather than its evolution, IF it were it being used correctly.

I had to speak to Experian today and sure enough I heard it again; "Yes, Mr M, I can confirm it was me that spoke with yourself". No, Darren, you spoke to me. It's ok. You don't have to try and address me as if I'm a member of the royal bloody family. Just another poor unfortunate who's having an argument with Vodafone and having to pay for the privilege to try and resolve it.

However, peter w giving the example of alright / all right is an interesting one as I'd have said the former was the accepted form (and was certainly the one I found in the text books when I was teaching English abroad) and that the latter was a more recent, more common, but incorrect development. However, every Google result I can find suggests that peter is indeed correct and my assumption was wrong.

So maybe it's just time I got down with yourselves and start speaking like the kids, innit.  :-\

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 01:56:10 PM »
Who?

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
A good move by the post MON management that we need a decent reserve keeper.  Getting experience for Parish out on loan is a good idea while having Marshall as cover.  Perhaps Guzan should be sent out on loan to try to improve because at the moment Parish and Marshall are probably better keepers.  If either had played against Rapid Vienna we might now be in the Europa League.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
Can someone explain the alright and all right thing again please.

I never used to bother asking in school if I did not understand something which is probably why I need to ask 13 years later.

Offline smudger

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »

I never used to bother asking in school if I did not understand something which is probably why I need to ask 13 years later.

If you got 100% on an exam you would have got the questions all right.
If you are feeling OK or fine you are feeling alright.

I think.

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:06 PM »
Should have put Parish as the third goalkeeper.

Offline Ross

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 06:36:27 PM »
What a statement of intent.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »
I can't believe I'm the first to say it...It's like having a new player!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal