collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: are we better off now compared with 12 months ago?  (Read 6866 times)

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
Re: are we better off now compared with 12 months ago?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »
We were in the process of building one of the nicest houses in the street.
Then some prick up the road decided to build THE biggest house of them all, casting a horrible shadow in the shape of a $ sign over the neighbourhood.

Then, during construction of the next floor, we found some very dodgy carpentry. The product is largely locally-made stuff that just isn't up to the standard of the imported products. A lot of it will have to be replaced. The building manager has downed tools in a huff and fucked of home.

And, now it looks like the sunny weather we'd hoped for has turned a little overcast.

Still, the place will look good once the roof goes on. I'm sure.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:48:06 AM by Troy Eccles »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »
Better when the new manager takes over and brings new idea's and use's the squad to better effect i think everything will be ok.

Offline MaxVillain

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
Friedel
L. Young Dunne Collins Warnock
Delph Petrov
Albrighton Ireland A. Young
Agbonlahor

Subds:
Guzan
Cuellar
Clark
NRC
Downing
Carew
Delfounseo

I'm happy with that, better than last year i reckon.

Offline Merv

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 09:47:24 AM »
The manager's the key to it all.

Squad wise, I'd say we're slightly better - in so much as I think now we actually have a squad of players in contention to play, rather than Martin's rather rigid 'this is my first X1, stays the same unless anyone is injured', 'these are my subs, they sit on the subs bench' and 'these are my reserves, who play for the reserve team and only the reserve team'.

We've lost one of our best players, but brought in a good replacement - Milner and Ireland pretty much on a par, though I'd say Ireland gives us a little more of what we need; a flash of matchwinning flair. Milner will give you 7/10 every week and the odd 8 - Ireland will give you some 6/10s but also several 9/10s during the season.

Then we've got Albrighton and Clark more involved, plus more opportunities for the likes of Lichaj, Bannan, Delfouneso and possibly Weimann.

Plus, players who seemingly had no future are now involved again. Luke Young and Reo-Coker have particularly risen to the challenge and I'm interested to see Sidwell's reaction given a fresh chance and the opportunity to actually play from time to time, rather than 10-min sub cameos here and there. On the downside, nothing I've seen so far from Davies or Beye indicates they should stay any longer than necessary.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 10:31:46 AM »
Manager walks 5 days before kick off, alleged best player sold, no manager several games into season, already out of Europe and 4 weeks or so on still no idea who the manager is or is likely to be.

That alone says no

Add in the paucity of the squad, the insecurity created by the managers exit, no serious guidance, all the innuendo and speculation, the prospects even with the best manager that's unavailable look grim but not yet dire. Other clubs have improved their squads, look to the other side of the City

We certainly have plenty to thank O'Neill for, without doubt.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:22 AM »
I don't understand. If O'Neil was such an arsehole, incompetent, unable to buy decent players and use those he already had properly, tactically inacapable, using players out of position, surrendering in Europe, stubbornly refusing to admit mistakes etc then why aren't we ectstatic that he's left instead of crying that he walked out on us?

The revisionsists should at least be consistent with their arguments.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »
wont really know until a manager comes in...

if we get in a manager who can see the very obvious deficiencies within the team, then we might be stronger, even without signings...

Offline levico

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
I think our biggest problem is the lack of a consistent goalscorer. Injury aside, at least Carew still looked up for it on most occasions last season. Now he looks anything but. Gabby, once fully fit, will have a scoring run before losing his confidence again - Heskey will provide nothing so we are very reliant on midfield chipping in.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 01:39:18 PM »
If you are referring to my comments Chico you have to understand one simple fact. I'm far from unhappy that Mon left as I predicted one day he would.
I am very disapointed in the timing and manner of his exit, partly because of the problems it generated problems even the staunchest of his fans should see.
If that be an inconsistent view or revisionism, so be it, I'm often falsely accused of worse.

Offline Bigmelonface

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
A simple no.

Regardless of how anyone tries to dress it up MON dropped us right in it leaving when he did so fuck him, we have lost the chance to strengthen and we will not get anyone of note in January.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »
No

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal