collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Has the spending splurge ended?  (Read 5277 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Has the spending splurge ended?
« on: September 02, 2010, 06:10:30 AM »
Apart from Man City no-one it seems has gone overboard this summer, we have seen players not change clubs because of their high wages leaving many clubs Villa included having unwanted players.
Keane at Spurs, Heskey at Villa in fact quite a few at Villa. Has reality set in? is it the end of players demanding and getting obscene amounts of money for doing not very much. The Glaziers, the crazy Yanks at Liverpool have run out of money even the Russian has pulled his head in. Maybe commonsense is making a reappearance.

Offline *shellac*

Re: Has the spending splurge ended?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:09:20 AM »
A cap is what football needs now.  Salary cap that is.

Too many average players are earning way too much just because they're were good for a season or two to be snapped by those so-called "elite" clubs.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »
A cap is what football needs now.  Salary cap that is.

Too many average players are earning way too much just because they're were good for a season or two to be snapped by those so-called "elite" clubs.
yes time to get back to reality most of us in the real world are tightening belts and shopping at the cheaper shops etc.

Online not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:13:55 AM »
This transfer window has seen the lowest spending by clubs since 2006, and that includes the artificial inflation caused by Man City.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:26:08 AM »
Apart from man city and the sky four people who run the club are counting the pennies.

Online not3bad

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »
Apart from man city and the sky four people who run the club are counting the pennies.

I would say the Sky 4 are also counting their pennies.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »

chelsea have a long-stated plan to reduce their debts and have concentrated very hard in bring youngsters. we will see a fair few over the next couple of seasons replacing their older players.

arsenal are now on the right track and getting return through their redevelopment and have one of the best youth set-ups in the world bringing through genuinely exciting young talent.

liverpool and united are up to the eyeballs in debt.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:36:20 AM »
For Aston Villa it has

Online not3bad

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »
And Spurs.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 11:16:10 AM »
Things couldn't continue as they were, especially amidst a Financial Crisis and recession.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 12:04:39 PM »

With regards to Arsenal, for all Wengers talk of the "kids" they have bought fuck all through in all the time he has been there apart from Wilshere, ramsey & Gibbs who are largely unproven.

Chelsea for all their big talk will never be financially viable.

personally i think that in 5 years time football is going to be on it's arse
chelsea have a long-stated plan to reduce their debts and have concentrated very hard in bring youngsters. we will see a fair few over the next couple of seasons replacing their older players.

arsenal are now on the right track and getting return through their redevelopment and have one of the best youth set-ups in the world bringing through genuinely exciting young talent.

liverpool and united are up to the eyeballs in debt.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:08:40 PM by UsualSuspect »

Offline peter w

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »
Randy has spent big with the Cleveland Browns - not quite sure who/what but I'm sure some will now on here - but I think it was some quarter-back that was lots of millions. At the same time his other spoirts venture spend nothing and look to cut back. A correlation? or a coincidence?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »
Yes.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 10:52:30 PM »
I would love to see a salary cap introduced like they have in rugby i.e. the squad must not exceed a stated amount. 

Obviously it would bring parity across all clubs, but the bit that would be interesting would be when players negotiate deals.  Effectively a pay-rise for one player would mean a reduction elsewhere.  It would be a complicated but fascinating mess.

Would players accept less cash to work for a good manager?
Rather than money being the main motivator, loyalty, "the team" and other old fashioned principles may re-appear in the game.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 11:03:43 PM »
Randy has spent big with the Cleveland Browns - not quite sure who/what but I'm sure some will now on here - but I think it was some quarter-back that was lots of millions. At the same time his other spoirts venture spend nothing and look to cut back. A correlation? or a coincidence?

I heard it was 40 mill on a player

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal