collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Squad 2010 -2011  (Read 18967 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Squad 2010 -2011
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 01:05:40 PM »
Talking about strikers it's curious that KM has given a few youngsters a go now but not the Fonz. Could it be he doesn't rate him?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 01:07:04 PM »
Not forgetting the loss of Delph to injury of course.  It's been obvious for the last three years that we need a striker, and yet here we are, entering another season with the same old problems up front.  An inconsistent Carew, an utterly inept Heskey and an overworked Gabby.  And I'm tired of just doing 'ok'.

Other than Wigan, Delph hardly featured in a league game until the 2nd half of the season, so I don;t think it's a huge issue when comparing to 09/10.

And I used the phrase 'OK' to avoid the usual progress/stagnation debate.  I actually think we did very well last season. 

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 01:08:22 PM »
Talking about strikers it's curious that KM has given a few youngsters a go now but not the Fonz. Could it be he doesn't rate him?

I mentuioned that in another thread a week or two ago.  He wouldn't have even been on the bench Sunday if Ireland hadn't gotten injured.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 01:10:28 PM »
Osbourne and Salifou!!! I don't suppose they had much choice but it clearly outlines how weak our squad is.

I still think with a bit of luck it's good enough for mid-table though which would be a feat after the disruption so far....

Offline myf

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »

I mentuioned that in another thread a week or two ago.  He wouldn't have even been on the bench Sunday if Ireland hadn't gotten injured.

I noticed a comment a couple of weeks ago where KMac said "Nathan had done well last season, up to a point".  I thought this was a bit weird.

Offline jembob

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
We were lucky with injuries last season. That may not happen this year.

Say what you want about MON, but he had the ability to get better than average results from (largely) average players. To get into top six, we don't only need a very good manager, we also need a manager who is capable of getting the best out of a particular group of players (because our squad is so thin).

I think that MON excelled as a man-manager with the players he liked. Last season high lighted MON's limitations in understanding tactics and appropriate use of personnel and these are two areas where I would hope a new, top quality manager would improve things dramatically. It's all very well getting players fired up, but at times last season we looked clueless due to our rigid formation and that must be quite demoralising on players.

Most people (including me) were quite enthused when Sidwell signed for us as we all recognised that he was a decent player. Last season he didn't get enough playing time to contribute but the season before, when we went on that great 4-5-1 run, he played most games. In my view, if utilised properly by the new man he could still have a part to play for us. A new manager must play players to their strengths which is something that hasn't happened recently and this may well mean that our squad starts to look a bit stronger.

A good example of this is what Moyes did with Phil Neville. Neville was a competent and experienced RB but when he moved him into a holding midfield position it was a revelation. Sometimes manager just stumble across these things (as I think Moyes did due to injuries) but a manager worth his salt will get more out of a squad by identifying what players are good at, and them making sure they know what their role is. The incoming manager will have plenty of talent to work with and it will be interesting to see if he can make the most of some of our fringe players.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »
Sadly due to current circumstances this is a good opportunity missed. With most of the top clubs having to cut their senior squads as they don't have enough home growns and decent under 21s we could have taken maximum advantage of our strength in youth this transfer window. With 22 seniors named we could have signed 3 extra players of any nationality. I'm sure this has been part of the owners plan for a couple of seasons, unfortunately next year everyone will be wise to the event and any advantage will have gone.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 01:55:36 PM »

A good example of this is what Moyes did with Phil Neville. Neville was a competent and experienced RB but when he moved him into a holding midfield position it was a revelation. Sometimes manager just stumble across these things (as I think Moyes did due to injuries) but a manager worth his salt will get more out of a squad by identifying what players are good at, and them making sure they know what their role is. The incoming manager will have plenty of talent to work with and it will be interesting to see if he can make the most of some of our fringe players.

You could say the same for Barry being shoved into the middle, and to a certain extent Milner.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 02:02:15 PM »
The list in full

1.   Brad Friedel
2.   Brad Guzan
3.   James Collins
4.   Carlos Cuellar
5.   Curtis Davies
6.   Habib Beye
7.   Richard Dunne
8.   Eric Lichaj
9.   Stephen Warnock
10.   Luke Young
11.   Stewart Downing
12.   Jonathan Hogg
13.   Stephen Ireland
14.   Isaiah Osbourne
15.   Stiliyan Petrov
16.   Nigel Reo-Coker
17.   Mustapha Salifou
18.   Steve Sidwell
19.   Ashley Young
20.   Gabriel Agbonlahor
21.   John Carew
22.   Emile Heskey

And then the kids

23.   Marc Albrighton
24.   Nathan Delfouneso
25.   Barry Bannan
26.   Ciaran Clark
27.   Fabian Delph

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
The only saving grace is that if/when we get a new manager he can get loan signings in to fill the last three places (as I understand it anyway). Who the hell he will get is a different matter.

Offline Small Rodent

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
The only saving grace is that if/when we get a new manager he can get loan signings in to fill the last three places (as I understand it anyway). Who the hell he will get is a different matter.

If what you say is true, I felt a little flutter of hope.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 02:14:20 PM »
With the right manager, and with a bit of luck with injuries, that squad is top 8. We need enforcements which will come in January. We don't have to achieve all of our goals in the first half of the year, we just need to be in position to attack them February onwards.

Offline Small Rodent

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
I've been trying to find who isn't in Man City's 25, to no avail. Might make interesting reading.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 02:25:14 PM »
The list in full

1.   Brad Friedel
2.   Brad Guzan
3.   James Collins
4.   Carlos Cuellar
5.   Curtis Davies
6.   Habib Beye
7.   Richard Dunne
8.   Eric Lichaj
9.   Stephen Warnock
10.   Luke Young
11.   Stewart Downing
12.   Jonathan Hogg
13.   Stephen Ireland
14.   Isaiah Osbourne
15.   Stiliyan Petrov
16.   Nigel Reo-Coker
17.   Mustapha Salifou
18.   Steve Sidwell
19.   Ashley Young
20.   Gabriel Agbonlahor
21.   John Carew
22.   Emile Heskey

And then the kids

23.   Marc Albrighton
24.   Nathan Delfouneso
25.   Barry Bannan
26.   Ciaran Clark
27.   Fabian Delph

Sorry if I'm being really stupid, but are no.s 23-27 not included in the squad due to their age and nothing else?

What exactly are the rules re this squad of 25?

Offline djbone

• GM : 16.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »

You could say the same for Barry being shoved into the middle, and to a certain extent Milner.

true but can anyone honestly see Sidwell finding his groove in any position in our side?  He's been upgraded to an Ireland, basically, and should be used only in emergencies (ditto Ozzy and Sali).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal